Trumps creating a new party

I thoroughly agree with the part about “a fresher face”: Trump’s policies are much more popular than his personality (or even his character, in my opinion).

And I also agree–sadly–with the part about Big Tech currently running this country.

I have already noted then-President Trump’s halfhearted endorsement of the two Republican Senate candidates from Georgia–and his propensity to just whine about how the November election was “stolen” from him, instead.

I do think that Donald Trump’s personality has been repudiated; but most of his policies remain broadly popular.

As for conviction in the Senate trial–which would require 67 votes (assuming a full complement of 100 senators)–it is highly unlikely. That would require at least 17 Republican votes–and the words, “at least,” are quite important here; it seems reckless to suppose that all 50 Democratic senators will vote in lockstep, to convict.

Moreover, it is constitutionally uncertain if a post-presidential conviction is even possible. (In 1797, Sen. William Blount, of Tennessee, was impeached, after leaving office–though later acquitted. But this has never happened to a president.

This attempted Senate conviction of Donald Trump could be for only one of two purposes–or perhaps both: (1) to mark the man with a Scarlet Letter; or (2) to bar him from ever again running for federal office.

The latter is not only an insult to the man himself, but also to all who might, potentially, vote for him: They are not even given that option.

I am “scold[ing]” the person with whom I am interacting.

Does that really seem indefensible to you?

The 3rd reason is to galvanize the right against the left and their over reach.

One would think that if they had an ounce of common sense they would just ignore him and let him fade away but, they aren’t that smart.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a ever so slippery slope. Not good. There was a recent thread by Asaratis that posted a very insightful article about how the world is moving towards a Totalitarian climate, with Big Tech in bed with China, it really becomes something dire to overcome if we are to preserve our personal liberties and stave off the dystopian nightmare that awaits.

2 Likes

Actually I think it’s for a different purpose altogether. Creating a distraction so they can pass the Reconciliation Act for 11 million illegals that gets amnesty. They pulled the same thing with the ACA even though 70% opposed it. Watch for it, I am betting that is exactly what’s going to happen.

Amongst Republicans ONLY, who make up 26% of the electorate or Les than 20% of Americans. TRUMP was repudiated in a super landslide, neither himself or his policies are broadly popular…:roll_eyes:

It’s not reckless to suppose all democrats vote to convict, it’s quite likely. But if the retrumplicans who have accused republicans of helping democrats to steal the election are right, than you could expect they would get at least 17 of them…

I think many have publicly stated that it’s to Barr him from holding public office again, but you forgot the third and most important reason for convicting him of inciting the capital attack. Posterity…To send a clear message to anyone in the future that might think they can attempt what Trump has done…

It’s pretty obvious Monte that Trump is your DADDY.

It’s way beyond TDS in your head.

1 Like

I’ve never been happier in life…:wink:

Well, we will probably get the chance to see who is correct in 2024, when the Republicans will proably run a candidate with mostly similar policies as those of Donald Trump; but with a much more pleasing personality.

Note: Republicans–and conservatives in general–have no hope, and no desire, that they might ever win California, New York, or Illinois. So if you think that Americans are typically represented by these, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Sen. Manchin (D-WV) has already spoken against such a move.

And, once again, it is constitutionally uncertain if a president can be impeached or convicted (in this case, the latter) after he has already left office.

But you have left this matter unaddressed.

(It is probably just as well. If you were to address it, you would probably just spout some partisan nonsense, rather than approaching the matter analytically–which, I believe, is the only legitimate purpose of a political forum–rather than merely to vent.)

This assumes that future would-be presidents must deeply desire to hold the office–and would, therefore, avoid whatever might bar them from that ambition.

But why?

I really do not think that Donald Trump ever really wanted to be president–for even four years, let alone for eight (if he had been re-elected).

Rather, he chose to make the necessary sacrifice of his time, in order to serve the country, and try (even if he was not fully successful) to drain the swamp.

Do some people just not understand the meaning of sacrifice–and just how it might apply to those who are no part of The Political Class (which should really not be in charge of selecting our future nominees for president)?

There’s certainly no constitutional prohibition, and like I pointed out to you earlier, as president Ford said, impeachment is a political issue and one can be impeached for whatever congress says, which went unaddressed by you…

Lol, yeah, Trump made a personal sacrifice to thoroughly trash America…:thinking:

Americans are unimpressed and threw him out with no second term, twice impeached. Shamed, humiliated and censored by businesses and even by foreign countries.

:hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

:hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

Well, it has to exist first…:thinking:

Um, you’re right about that you know…