What's that thing that pierced a big meteor?

It’s destruction was completely natural just like millions of other asteroids and meters that have entered the atmosphere friction destroyed it.

There’s absolutely no evidence to the contrary.

The planet would survive, life would continue, but I seriously doubt humanity would survive. If it did I strongly suspect we’d be starting over at the stone age level, only in very small pockets and it would be many thousands of years before we even got back to where we were developmentally a thousand years ago.

Most of our technology and records is stored on media that would not survive long without electrical power.

Is that a pair of rocks?

3.2 million miles is not even close. There is a website which publishes all the known close encounters with passing distances measured in LD (Lunar Distance = 250,000 miles). Hardly any pass inside the lunar orbit but there is (or was) one that was close enough to threaten geostationary satellites any time around now, give or take a month.

edit: A mile across is quite a big rock

In a solar system where we measure in terms of millions of miles 3.2 million is relatively close and it would take only a minor tweak of the orbit to bring it on a collision course with the earth later on.

Remember we’re only about 97 million miles from our own sun and our closest neighbors Venus and Mercury about 47 million with mars is about 145 million miles away.

It’s all relative. A distance of an inch between two bacteria is enormous but two elephants standing an inch apart will appear to be touching.

He’d also not fall for that idiotic anti-Semitic bullshit he posts.

1 Like

Yes, that is about 12 or 13 LD so it is quite close.

My own view is that less than 2 LD is approaching the alarming point. Something big only needs to clout the moon and we are in deep shit.

The other interesting aspect is that some of these sizeable rocks have appeared out of nowhere. There was a fly-by which was about 1 LD, IIRC, and nobody saw it until 3 weeks before it arrived.

All of which means that the subject is an interesting study, but the thing that kills us all will maybe sneak out of the shadows. So let’s just get on with life. :beers:

To me the dire warning point is when anything gets close enough to hit the moon that has any substantial mass.

Even a minor change in our relationship to the moon could be catastrophic due to tidal effects.

To me what the NEO’s are is a very good reason we need to greatly expand our space defense systems.

It isn’t a matter of if a planet killer is coming our way, we know that statistically it’s certainty, the only question is when it will happen.

With so many large objects floating around in chaotic fashion in the asteroid belt a killer could be kicked out our way at any time and there are several examples now where it has been shown that large objects occasionally pass through our solar system on exceptionally long orbits from interstellar space or other systems.

The scary part about the NEO’s is that many of them are never seen until they have already passed us by… .

It is always interesting how shabbos goys twist things around. Perhaps one shortcut in the brain affects the entire brain.

There are so many anomalies about the Tunguska explosion.
The explosion was mid-air, not impact.
And there are traces of radioactivity all around.
I’m currently checking some Russian sites.

There was a planet between Mars and Jupiter which was obviously blown to pieces, and there is no guarantee that Earth will remain forever safe.

In the 1970s, I believe, the comet Shoemaker-Levy hit Jupiter. If anything like that hit Earth, we wouldn’t be here.

Some observers claims to have seen “land” on Jupiter for a split second, as the explosions occur and clouds cleared. If so, it is another NASA fabrication that Jupiter is gaseous.

Exactly.

However I don’t see space defence as the answer. Anything big enough to represent an MEE is unstoppable. The scientists are now wrestling with the moral dilemma of whether mankind should work on a bomb big enough to be a planet killer, or at least big enough to deflect something the size of Manhattan island. Wisely they have learned from Oppenheimer, it seems.

I think we have to accept that there will be damage and take whatever precautions are available. That includes people like Elon Musk attempting to leave the planet.

We don’t have to stop them. All we have to do is to be able to detect them far enough out to alter the orbit to take them away from the earth. This requires space based observation and interdiction.

I’m not a huge fan of trying to blow up huge objects because that simply crates a huge cloud of many more objects that may be even more dangerous but there’a a lot of ways to push asteroids into orbits that won’t affect us and comets can easily be destroyed because they are mostly frozen water and ice.

From an earthly standpoint we know our biggest potential enemies are weaponizing space so we’d better find way to counter that threat, most of which again will require space based defensive systems.

I am inclined to believe that the Tunguska explosion was a meteor on grazing trajectory that disintegrated happily over a largely uninhabited area of Russia. For one thing we didn’t have the tracking capabilities then which we have today.

It is true that Russia have made the biggest Atomic bang. 65 mega-tonnes IIRC, and then they stopped. Meanwhile the Americans have been working on making strategic weaponry more manageable; 15 mega-tonnes into a cylinder 18 inches in diameter and weighing 350kg,

TBH there is no need for anything much bigger than about 5 mega-tonnes, the active blast radius is measured in miles and only needs to be deployed with approximate accuracy. One such bomb would take out the whole of New York, or the entirety of London contained within its M25 orbital motorway.

I thought that the composition of Jupiter has been shown to be largely Hydrogen. The postulation being that the core is liquid metallic Hydrogen under immense pressure due to gravity.

Therefore the bigger question is this: how long do we have before the mass of Jupiter is sufficient to start a thermonuclear burn process similar to that occurring in the Sun.

You would be correct, it is a gas giant, there is no “land” on Jupiter.

https://www.space.com/18388-what-is-jupiter-made-of.html

It’s density is more than a hundred times greater than that of our own atmosphere and while it may have a solid rock or molten core there is no “land”, no oceans of water or much of anything else resembling the earth.

The atmosphere is so dense as yet we can’t construct any sort of space craft or instrument package that can penetrate it more than a few thousand feet before it is crushed so a lot of it remains a mystery.

Jupiter is essentially a Proto Sun that never attained enough mass for fusion to begin naturally.

I’ve often theorized about whether or not it would be possible to ignite it with a nuke or hydrogen bomb so that we could have a “little sun” to provide light and heat to the outer planets and one day make them habitable.

I don’t know if any work has been done on that or there would be sufficient mass to keep it chaining if you got it to light for any significant period of time.

That was in 92 when Shoemaker hit.

As for Jupiter no ones knows if it has solid core. One would assume that might be the case.

There maybe liquid hydrogen covering the metallic core

To bump it from it projected path.

Again the amount of energy to do that we be mind boggling.

Yes, with the smaller of the two orbiting around the larger one.

Any comet or meteor coming within 30 million miles of Earth is considered to be a near Earth objuect (NEO.)

2029, Apophis will pass Earth within Geosynchronous orbit.

Not really, it takes only a tiny nudge to make a big change if you do it far enough away. NASA has been working on this for years and has some very good plans on the table using things like solar sails, even small reactors placed directly on the surface.

One smart use of nukes would be to fly one close but not close enough to break it up, detonate it to simply push it out of it’s current orbit to one that would take it well out of the earth’s path.

? Geo synchronous simply means that it orbits the same path at the same velocity the earth is turning unless they’ve changed the definition on me.

A geosynchronous satellite for example always holds the same relative position over a given point on the earth. Our communications satellites are in Ge synchronous orbits otherwise we’d lose connections with them and have to move to another satellite with great frequency.

From what I’m seeing Apophis will be close enough to see probably with the naked eye.

19,000 miles to me is awfully damned close because it’s only slightly more than the diameter of the earth. I certianly hope their calculations are accurate and nothing perturbs it’s orbit between now and then or it could be a really bad day for the planet. Even if it lost 90% of it’s mass burning through the atmosphere an ocean strike could have pretty serious consequences globally due to tsunamis of massive scale and the massive rain induced flood event that would follow not to mention the rapid global cooling that could last a very long time.

You think Y2K was bad the end of the world nuts are gong to split right into over this.