What's that thing that pierced a big meteor?

Speculated, not shown to be.

You will know next time a meteor of that size hits your house.

No he won’t, and neither will anyone in his neighborhood. They will never know that they were hit, let alone know what hit them.

And technically, if it hits his house, it is not a meteor … it is a meteorite.

3 Likes

No one for a hundred miles would know it as we’d all be vaporized.

Meteorites larger than a golf ball are incredibly rare.

My apologies for incorrect geography. I held the belief that the airburst was ‘in the region of’ Novosibirsk, which it probably passed over about 2 minutes before the destruction.

Anyway, if you look closely, you can see the Russian air defence manages to shoot it before it reaches its target…

The Russians have nothing that could have hit it. The Meteor was traveling at something like Mach 55.

Your own video says it hit the atmosphere at 44,000mph.

There was a recent (this decade) exploration of the area which found glass-like structures scattered in the area. The composition of these structures was the same as had been found at (?) White Sands where the first A-bomb test was carried out, and where the intensity of the explosion had melted the sand.

Of course this is all some hypothesising by a bunch of scientists. Could have been the ■■■■■

that kind of glass has been known to be produced by meteors for hundreds of years.

The N. African deserts are covered with it and it can be found in the US as well.

Hey! Can’t a man engage in some sport occasionally? I am winding up the village idiot…

Yes you are, don’t encourage him.

The theory was actually proven in lab experiments recently firing hyper velocity projectiles into a bed of silicon.

Which is not the same as an airburst, but I am not going to argue on that .

Coincidentally, in ten years there will be a near-miss by a rather large object.

I don’t know of anyone attributing such glass to air bursts but a low altitude air burst certainly could generate that kind of heat.

The Tunguska event caused devastation over hundreds of miles and it was several miles high (estimates) when it exploded.

Yes I explained it to you in detail.

When a large meteor explodes in the lower atmosphere, it produces more than enough heat to melt sand.

There is a binary meteor flying by (about 3.2 million miles) Earth this weekend.

Just a minor tweak to it’s orbit and that would be a planet killer.

Imagine how many NEO’s have passed us by unnoticed over the centuries… . All it takes is one.

A mile diameter meteorite would do a lot of damage and kill a whole lot of people (and pretty much set civilization back hundreds of years) but it wouldn’t come close to killing the planet. The “big one” that wiped out the dinosaurs 66 million years ago left most of the planet and much life intact and it is estimated to have been about six miles in diameter.

I shot it with my assault harpoon.

2 Likes

The way “it” destroyed is beyond human — be it Russian, American or Chinese — technology.

Yep, it was very fast.

The Tunguska explosion is a big mystery. I’m preparing to make a post on it, but a lot of material is in Russian, sure enough.
What complicates the matter is the fact that there was radioactivity — from tree, soil and animals