The Rabbit Hole

Nothing wrong with a bit of violence Not always so easy to get to the eyes, likewise balls. It needs to be effective rather than to antagonise further. I would play safer and (base of) palm to the nostrils. Or elbow or kick to the solar plexus. A backhand chop to the jugular is always good. Just need to do enough to give you time to run. If he’s a weed, that’s easy. If he’s a meathead, he won’t be able to run. When out by myself I always wear shoes I can run in. I save the heels for other occasions. :sunglasses:

Heels are weapon too.

They key is to press mostly against the inner orbital bone rather than into the eyeball itself. Path of least resistance and it’ll slide right in. Emergency only of course, one of many options. :wink:

2 Likes

Not if they’re strappy sandals with buckles to undo.

Gouge with fingernails!

1 Like

LOL. I remember my dive instructor on an exercise of clearing regulators in an emergency: “I will hold you down until you figure it out”.

Well, lo and behold, I sucked in a lungful of water and he was unfortunate enough to my partner.

I kneed him in the balls, punched him in the throat and hit his nose hard in an upstroke which also ripped his mask off. I was free and went to the surface.

What I did scared the crap out of me because it was all without thought.

I will never forget that and still wonder where the hell that all came from.

I don’t like it either. I can’t watch war movies and I can’t watch boxing or some other form of sport like that.

Thing for me is, I can never predict how I am going to react.

I suppose that is where training comes into play. Panic and flailing doesn’t do a whole lot of good. A focused mind as a result of “muscle memory” does.

If someone is choking you the eyes are a good way to buy time to get away. I didn’t know about the tear duct thing @SixFoot. A good thing to store in the back of my brain.

1 Like

I learned a little Hapkido from my Taekwondo instructor back in the 80’s. The grip removal, and joint-locking techniques have served me better than most of the martial arts that I have studied over the years.

“Green” bone is hard to break, but digits are easy to dislocate. Larger joints are better used for locking and control.

1 Like

It is designed to allow a martial artist to rapidly subdue an opponent and render any attacker completely incapable of causing harm. Since Hapkido affords total control over a physical confrontation and emphasizes precision over brute strength, the hapkidoist can localize any damage dealt to an opponent and avoid creating unintended injury.

Sounds very practical. I wan’t able to find out what a “green” bone is? Can you explain?

I’m a weird guy. I could watch violence all day and it won’t affect me. Now, executing violence… that can give someone nightmares. :wink:

2 Likes

What a nightmare! That sort of thing freaks me out! To be trapped underwater has to be my number one nightmare. Add caves together with underwater and you have a horror scenario!

You would be surprised how quickly you can learn moves that would be second nature. I have had some kung fu training and I spar with my husband almost on a daily basis. We do everything; rear hold, rear choke, front choke, pins me down completely. You do whatever you can, but I would say the number one move is get A Finger!! :joy: The most important thing to remember with any choke is to keep your chin down, otherwise you could pass out in seconds.

1 Like

So… you’re married to Oddjob!

Interesting read.

2 Likes

Most people think breaking bones is like breaking the dead, and moreover dried/desiccated bones that they have seen in thier culinary experience.

A bone in a living entity is green, as in living. The younger the person, the more flexible the living bone due to density factors

1 Like

Just a reminder to all Brits today… use a ballpoint pen! Let’s do it!

1 Like

It is my understanding that ‘green’ refers mainly to young bones which are more flexible and therefore more difficult to break. However they can still break.

Today I voted for Brexit again, nearly 3 years after I did it for the first time. Though this time it is more than Brexit, it is democracy at stake. If we lose our democracy, others will too, I’m sure.

1 Like

That is crazy what is going on over on your side of the pond.

How many times do you have to vote for your vote to count.

More importantly, does your vote count?

I was being facetious. It was the EU elections in which we were part, because we are still in the EU. What I meant when I said about voting for democracy was are we going to vote for a party who will uphold the outcome of the referendum. If Remainers are short sighted enough to vote for a party who will thwart the will of the majority just to get what they want, then they should be careful what they wish for because the next time they will not get a say and it may not be what they want.

Netherlands voted too yesterday and other countries are voting today and tomorrow. We will know on Sunday if the EU Parliament will be filled with Eurosceptics. Verhofstedt is fearing an implosion from within and he is spot on. It is a show well worth watching!

4 Likes

They would be soy milkshakes! :rofl:

2 Likes