The Police Can't Protect You-And Have No Duty To

How to call the Police…
True Story From the Meridian, Mississippi STAR

George Phillips of Meridian Mississippi was going up to bed when his wife told him that he’d left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked “Is someone in your house?” and he said no. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.

George said “Okay,” hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again. “Hello. I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don’t have to worry about them now cause I’ve just shot them all.” Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed. One of the policemen said to George: “I thought you said that you’d shot them!”

George said, “I thought you said there was nobody available!”

4 Likes

There was another one in Houston.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/homeowner-fatally-shoots-burglary-suspect-police-say/5064689/

I suppose it depends on the laws of the State; here you can only shoot someone if they are IN your home.

…and by then, sometimes, it’s too late.

I’m a big believer in dogs as an early warning system. I have a rescue that is terrified of tin foil but has become so loyal to me that she’d lay down her life to defend me (except if the perp carried tin foil :rofl:). She is lightning fast and deadly (part Rhodesian Ridgeback I think).

I also, much to my dismay, would up rescuing a chihuahua. Good early warning system, but Gawds, I never, ever imagined I’d have that breed :grimacing: I call him Mr. Ha-Wiggins.

Birds as well are even better at warning than dogs, surprisingly.

It’s all about minutes and seconds between you and the perp.

I wonder how many people understand that reference. :rofl:

1 Like

The idiom is “It’s better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.”

1 Like

What country is that? I’d love to look up the laws on the use of deadly force.

Unfortunately somewhere along the line over the years people decided that property was not worth of defending with deadly force. That shows you just how affluent we are as a nation.

That defeats the purpose of a carry permit.

In the country homes, guineas under the house do the best job. They alert on anything abnormal…and their eggs are delicious.

1 Like

No, because a carry permit only allows you to carry lawfully. You can only use deadly force in self defense or defense of a third party under extremely limited circumstances and in nearly every state deadly force can only be used in response to a direct, imminent, and immediate threat of grave bodily harm or death.

A carry permit does not grant one the ability to use deadly force wantonly or outside of those very specific circumstances.

DMK is of course correct when it comes to home defense. In most states that “imminent threat” threshold cannot be met unless the attacker has entered the home.

I replied to her exact statement…"…here you can only shoot someone if they are IN your home."

That means you cannot shoot anyone outside your home. That means a carry permit is no good…IF THE FIRST STATEMENT IS THE BASIS OF THE ARGUMENT.

It would be ever so helpful if you understood the context of the post you were replying to.

Hint, you don’t need a carry permit on your own property.

He, Mr. Know It All, I understood the statement. Had she said. “…here you can only shoot someone if they are IN your home, unless you have a carry permit.”, I’d have replied differently.

Savvy?

And once again Mr. Know Nothing, “context”.

What was the context set by the post she was replying to?

Let me help.

12h

How to call the Police…
True Story From the Meridian, Mississippi STAR

George Phillips of Meridian Mississippi was going up to bed when his wife told him that he’d left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked “Is someone in your house?” and he said no. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.

George said “Okay,” hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again. “Hello. I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don’t have to worry about them now cause I’ve just shot them all.” Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed. One of the policemen said to George: “I thought you said that you’d shot them!”

George said, “I thought you said there was nobody available!”

Followed by:

Now what is the context of those posts?

No shit, Einstein!..:rofl:

Lashing out when you’ve made a fool of yourself doesn’t help your argument any.

Just stop.

You’re a disingenuous prankster. She was replying to the second post you quoted…in which case the home owner was carrying a gun and went for it before either of the two entered the house.

Nice try.

And what she said was perfectly accurate.

In most states if you shoot a burglary suspect that has not entered your home you are going to prison.

Texas is unique particularly once the sun goes down. We not only have castle laws that extend beyond the confines of your home, we also have a law that specifically grants broad uses of deadly force after dark as long as you are on your own property.

The further you go with this the more of a fool you make of yourself.