The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread šŸ“™ šŸ“–

Funny I thought for sure I took you as a T.S. Elliot guy. I have not read anything from Murakami. Interesting choice nevertheless.

1 Like

ā€œHistory is philosophy teaching by examples.ā€
Thucydides

I havenā€™t either. Heā€™s very popular in Russia by some reason.

Thereā€™s another Japanese.
Ishiguro. He grew up in England and writes in English. He won the Nobel Prize some years ago, but donā€™t bother. Heā€™s a terrible writer. Still puzzled why he won the prize.

I donā€™t read much of the classics, so my favorite authors are not those they teach in literature

1. David Baldacci
  2. Lee Child
  3. R. Emmet Tyrrell
  4. Ann Coulter
  5. Eddie Clontz
1 Like

I am going to have to seek him out to answer that question.

1 Like

I would be interested to know what your take on Ann Coulter is. She is a rather polarizing figure on both sides of the divide. Acquired taste perhaps?

I like T.S. Elliot but I like a diverse reading list.

1 Like

Yours is a different purpose I believe.

1 Like

I donā€™t know any of these writers, What genre are these authors?

Baldacci and Lee Child write adventure books, spy vs spy, whodunits. Lee Childā€™s character is Jack Reacher

Ann Coulter writes political books, like how to annoy liberals. One of my favorites is a re-appraisal of the Joe MCCarthy era, questioning some of the conventional wisdom built up on that over the years.

R Emmet Tyrrell started and was the guiding light for many years of my favorite political journal, The American Spectator. He writes thought-provoking opinions, and heā€™s got a great sense of humor. He was one of the ā€œvillainsā€ in Hillaryā€™s dreaded right-wing echo-chamber.

Eddie Clontz was the father of The Weekly World News, the best supermarket tabloid ever. A typical story from the golden age of that magazine was ā€œRogue Asteroid destroys Belgium - and nobody notices for three weeksā€ and they had ongoing stories of Elvis being seen, a bat-child discovered in a cave ā€œBatboyā€

2 Likes

Lee and Baldacci seem of interest to me, I do like Robert Ludlum, Olen Steinhauer and W.E.B Griffin

The others I am not as adept about as I lose interest in politics altogether.

Thank you for taking the time and explaining.

1 Like

My favorite from the cold war spy vs spy genre was John LeCarreā€™. His best known character was George Smiley, and his best known book was ā€œTinker Tailor Soldier Spy.ā€ You might see a connection to my forum name. After the cold war ended, his books have been less interesting.

2 Likes

I think ā€œTinker, Soldier Spyā€ was turned into a movie that I watched some time ago. The Cold War was before my time, but like the era. I like mostly lthe WW 2 cloak and dagger types of stories, and I wish there was more of them.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

For cat people.

1 Like

adorned with j-e-w-e-l-sā€¦ LOL

An Australian egyptologist purchased a cat mummy and the cat (spirit) followed it to Australia. The scientist heard an unseen cat purr, jump off the shelf where the mummy was placed, and walk on the floor. Yes, he was duly scared.

I heard the episode on ABC (Australian) radio talk show.

1 Like

I was wondering about that. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have heard of stories of other strange occurrences associated with ancient Egyptian artifacts like curses and and weird energy type. I wonder if all those stories are true of people dying after Howard Carter discovering and the opening of King Tutā€™s tomb?

1 Like

I heard he died of some fungus infection. I suppose you need to be careful if you open up something that has been sealed up for thousands of years.

If you are a powerful ruler, be it an Egyptian pharaoh or Chinese emperor, you donā€™t want the dead body to be exposed for the whole world to see. Put a powerful curse, maybe.

Thatā€™s why Genghis Khan and his grandson Kublai Khan hid their graves, and we donā€™t know where their gravesites are. Somewhere in Mongolia for sure, but thatā€™s a big place. LOL

1 Like