The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread 📙 📖

I just fished this book and it was pretty awesome. One of the best books I have read in a long time!

Yeah, have to agree, this is one of my favorite Hemingway novels. I have to wonder having been born in 1899, what the circumstances that he would know so much about Italy during WW I? He would have been around 16 years of age when such experiences afforded him to be in the war for the Italians.

He was actually in real life in Italy in 1917. A sad tale makes it almost autobiographical.

1 Like

“You have to go through stages of discipline before you can reach the point where you can assume the responsibility of freedom.” – Jan Persson

Thucydides wrote 2700+ years ago, he’s still being read. Why?

Morley’ 3 reasons:

• Thucydides wrote with “gravity and concision” - avoided “over-colored” prose

• Gave “pathos & dignity” to his actors

• “Most of all” he peppered wise aphorisms throughout - but sparingly

Democracy as a tight-rope walk

The big challenge for Democracy is reconciling the “rule of numbers” with the “rule of sage judgment”

There is a great tension between the “passion for liberty and equality” and a regard for “law, authority, and order”

I always thought there is no such thing as democracy? Did Greece ever have true Democracy?

Plato wrote that democracy is the worst form of government.

It is nothing more than mob rule, when the population remains stupid and ignorant.

2 Likes

I think I remember reading that recently too.

Do chess moves qualify for this thread?

Why not? Chess in some ways is a philosophical perspective.

This is not a book but a movie, based on a theatrical piece, I think.

Pretty philosophical.
Story of a man (Cro-Magnon man) who has lived 14,000 years.

“He who is afraid of losing a pawn should not play chess” - Tarrasch

2 Likes

Love this quote because it is so profound!

1 Like

Matias De Stefano who remembers his past lives.

(Plato said, the whole idea of philosophy is to remember our past lives. Today’s “philosophy” is a deformed monster BS taught by idiotic academics in universities.)

1 Like

List your 5 favorite Authors and why, starting from most to least!

1. J.D. Salinger
  2. Hemingway
  3. Faulkner
  4. Burkowski
  5. Hunter S. Thompson

The ontologist relaxed again, and began floating through a dreamy patch of light and darkness. A pale glow began gradually to form about his eyes, and shadowy things began to form, dissolve, and reform. (Charles L. Harness)

Did you know that the creator of Sherlock Holmes portrays the first Mormon “nation” in Utah as hell on earth, 1984 of sorts, a prison planet based on slavery and surveillance in the name of God?

The dark Religions are departed & sweet Science reigns.
—William Blake

Right. Nothing good comes out of the dark religions.

Interesting take but I don’t get the part where the Mormon part comes into view?

Speaking of Doyle, in 2023 all his works become the public domain and are free of copyright law.

This was a hard one because there are so many, but I guess these are mine.

1. Dostoevsky
  2. Keats
  3. Dickens
  4. Nietzsche
  5. Truman Capote

My others

C.S. Lewis
Haruki Murakami