The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread 📙 📖

Some quotes from the Lotus Sutra of Mahayana Buddhism. I will comment on them.

The first quote is from the first paragraph of the Expedient Means (chapter 2)

"At that time the World-honored One, rising quietly and clearly from contemplation, addressed Shariputra: "The wisdom of buddhas is very profound and infinite. Their wisdom-school is difficult to understand and difficult to enter, so that the shravakas and pratyekabuddhas cannot apprehend it. "

Who are these “shravakas and
pratyekabuddhas?”

In the Ten Lifestates as detailed in Buddhism, the are called the 7th and 8th lifestate is usually explained as the 7th, the state of learning and the 8th is called people of self-realization, intelkectual, or absorption.

The ten lifestates are momentary lifestates of 1.Hell (misery and suffering) 2. Hunger 3.Animality 4.Anger. These are very common, like the lowest common denominator, lifestates, all beings pass through moment by moment.

These first 4 lifestates are called the Four Lower Worlds. These momentary life moments typify the suffering world.
The sixth lifestate is called Heaven or Rapture. Seventh is learning, the 8th is essentially a state of awakening, these last two states or mind-moments are called Nijo in Japanese–“the two vehicles,” Although these are much higher then the previous 6 lifestates, they are also a a trap and easily fall into lower ego and causal backsliding.

The 5th lifestate is known as the human state, tranquility lifestate. It differs greatly from the 4 lower lifestates. Lifestates are actually discreate and at the same time, interpenetrating all other lifestates.

First I need to explain the meaning of the Japanese Buddhist, term, “ICHINEN”

Literally the term means, One-mind-moment. In any given moment a person has a certain “Ichinen” based on what is called, “mutual possession” of Lifestates. A word the helps understand this is the word “interpenetration”.

“Interpenetration,” means that each Mind-moment lifestate, contains inherently, all possible factors of, the other causal lifestates, related to the natural Law of cause and effect. It was defined as Three thousand lifestates in a single moment, “Ichinen Sanzen.”

When Jesus or Buddha, talked about “faith the size of a mustard seed” He is essentially talking about this principle. Where does the more faith based lifestates actually reside? Where does the essence of hell, hunger, animality, anger, humanity, rapture, learning, self-realization, Bodhisattva (mercy), Buddha/Enlightenment reside.

It is important to realize that the idea of a independent “soul” self or identity
is actually a misnomer. This is why Buddhism corrects the term “reincarnation,” because it leads to people thinking they are an independent self or soul. The term is “dependent origination,” All things are dependent on all other things. People are said to be swimming in the “Sea of Samsara” otherwise known as the wheel of birth and death. Liberation or salvation is do-able according to faith, prayer and practice. Resisting this law of cause and effect or slandering this Supreme Law is a bad, futile cause. At the same time getting a bad effect can teach a person what not to do and what to do and practice makes perfect no matter how ignorant a person is otherwise.

The term “soul” used in Buddhism or Christianity should include the disclaimer that no thing is “independent,” with a separate self in actuality. In terms of words, using the word is an expedient means. Just as no one is separate from God, the differentiation should really be found in the middle way–“neither a self, nor non-self.” strictly speaking. The use of the term “soul,” is really using poetic license.

The 9th and 10th lifestate are called Bodhisattva and Buddhaood.

The key is to realize that the lowser 9 lifestates all “exist” in the 10th lifestate, Buddhahood.

All of this operates due to the Supreme Law of Cause and Effect.

The first quote from the Lotus Sutra above is essentially the warning to the people of the two-vehicles. No matter how hard the think, ponder, calculate and use logic, they can fall back into the lower lifestates and become arrogant and inadvertently slander the Supreme Law due to what they intellectually think and believe, is their superiority. This is why they are warned.

All ten lifestates exist in ALL beings, sentient and insentient and all exist in each moment due to cause and effect.

I will post additional short quotes from the Sutra later

2 Likes

I train and believe in the ways of the Samurai. I like these principles they are similar. Quiet your mind.

2 Likes
1 Like

That is pretty cool. I wonder how they were able to do that.

1 Like

I had this same glove

1 Like

I found this book to be extremely informative

I love when the chum rises to the top to reveal the real nature of people, it only vindicates my original assertions as being true.

1 Like

This man wrote for 8 hours a day? That is commitment!

Times that by what? 60 years according to his son. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

1 Like

By contrast, the people that we now have in charge can barely put a sentence together. When they do, it’s usually carefully crafted lies written by some propagandist or a team of them.

2 Likes

Susan Rice, Tony Podesta and Jake Sullivan come to mind, while Obozo lurks in the shadows. In the bigger picture such sinister plans sees the disinfectant of sunlight and ends up being worse for them than it does for us in the end, we are just in the middle of fighting the war and its hard to see right now . Just my belief.

Susan Rice! The first time I saw her was that 9/11 Bengazi attack that killed an ambassador. She went on all of the Sunday shows to claim it was due to some stupid video that nobody ever saw. A responsible questioner would have made her look like an imbecile, it was such a stupid lie. She proved her bona fides as a loyal stooge by shamelessly being the one to go and feed it to the friends on the Sunday shows. Even Hillary must have felt embarrassed to make such ridiculous claims.

Soon enough, they railroaded that guy who made the video, just to make the lie a little more credible. The people in the media had to know it was ridiculous, but it was too close to the election and Obama was in jeopardy.

1 Like

I was shocked what I discovered! You will be to

That is so true and profound at the same time! Which when one knows its easy to spot a mile away!

Recently trending in a accented fervor is the Russian Author Fedor Dotoevsky

Here is a brief intro to his life and his literary quotes. If all the smart people like Peter Theil are raving about his mental acumen then I wanted to explore why. No doubt his work Crime and Punishment are fascinating reads from a different era, but most importantly is his ability to bend ones mind and alter it in ways to see differently especially on politics and social chaos are appeals that makes his works en-vogue in today’s social discourse.

Dostoevsky

A literary rockstar at 24

Almost gets executed by a firing squad at 28

Exiled to Siberia

Returns to write some of the greatest novels ever

In his lesser-known letters and essays, we get a more intimate look at what he loved, hated, fiercely believed in

1/ Dostoevsky believed life is only possible when you have a philosophical north star you swear by:

“Neither a person nor a nation can exist without some higher idea”

Dostoevsky: “In order to maintain itself and live, every society must necessarily respect someone & something”

2/ In his essay against Environmental determinism, Dostoevsky writes:

“The doctrine of the environment reduces man to an absolute nonentity, exempts him totally from every personal moral duty and from all independence, reduces him to the lowest form of slavery imaginable.”

3/ In a letter, Dostoevsky revealed the mystery he wanted to solve:

“I have faith in myself. Man is a mystery: if you spend your entire life trying to puzzle it out, then do not say that you have wasted your time. I occupy myself with this mystery, because I want to be a man."

4/ Dostoevsky needed only three things: “I need nothing but books, the possibility of writing, and of being daily for a few hours alone. To be alone is a natural need, like eating and drinking."

Certain spiritual and intellectual problems demand solitude.

5/ BUT Dostoevsky also warned against introversion:

"Lacking external experiences, those of the inward life will gain the upper hand. The nerves and the fancy then take up too much room. Every external happening seems colossal, and frightens us. We begin to fear life.”

6/ Dostoevsky lists important questions all societies must ask:

“Whom can we now consider our best people? Most important, where shall we find them? Who will take the responsibility for proclaiming them the best, and on what basis? Does someone need to take this responsibility?”

7/ Do we possess talent or does talent possess us?

Dostoevsky: “It’s very rare to find a person capable of handling his gift. The talent almost always enslaves its possessor, taking him, as it were, by the scruff of the neck & carrying him off far away from his proper path.”

8/ Dostoevsky hated the “small-souled” people who preach "contentment with one’s destiny” and “modest demands from life.”

Dostoevsky: “Their contentment is that of cloistered self-castration.”

All vital souls will instinctively reject such an “insipid” existence.

9/ Dostoevsky on the measure of great art:

“Art is always true to reality in the highest degree…it cannot be unfaithful to contemporary reality. Otherwise it would not be art. It is the measure of true art that it is always contemporary, urgent and useful.”

10/ Art becomes abnormal when we become abnormal: “During his life man may deviate from normality, from the laws of nature; in this case art will deviate with him. But this serves to show art’s close and indissoluble link with man, its constant loyalty to man and his interests.”

11/ Dostoevsky against censorship: “It is of primary importance not to hinder art with various aims, not to prescribe laws for it…for even without this it is already confronted by many submerged rocks, many temptations and deviations inseparable from man’s existence.”

12/ For Dostoevsky beauty is synonymous with health and ascending life:

“Beauty is useful because man has a constant need for (his) highest ideal. If a people preserves an ideal of beauty and a need for it, it means that the need for health and normality is also there."

Peter Thiel: “There is no better way to think about human irrationality than to read Dostoevsky, and there is no better reader of Dostoevsky than Mr. Girard”

Girard’s book on Dostoevksy, Resurrection from the Underground, is fascinating!

Albert Camus, one of Dostoevsky’s greatest fans, said:

“Our world will die or accept that he was right.”

Camus started out a staunch communist, then shocked everyone with a 180° turn

Sounds like someone is jealous of you! So immature!

1 Like

I read “Brothers Karamazov”

I always ponder when Jesus being jailed and the Grand Inquisitor were Jesus’s ego and alter ego. “Jesus was too perfect for man to live up to.

1 Like