The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread šŸ“™ šŸ“–

For creative types, you will understand the message here. You got one life make it count!

https://youtu.be/1RpDphH0EDI

Good read that was in another thread but thought that this was such a Philosophical anecdote that I think here is a good place to put it.

It is worthy of discussion

Forgetting How To Be A Civilization

New survey data show that young people are losing the knowledge and the habits necessary to reproduce a stable society

Bruce Lee, the philosopher. THe idea of ā€œwalking the middle line between two opposing dichotomiesā€ is a powerful one, bc itā€™s the adaptable one that survive in the face of fierce pressure, not the strongest, not the smartest. Itā€™s the one who knows when to hold on, and when to let go.

For more, hereā€™s a book from his daughter, compiling his lost notes and anecdotal stories

2 Likes

My favorite is ā€œBe like waterā€

Here in Hong Kong he is idolized and that quote is the most common I hear from some of my friends.

2 Likes
  1. Do the opposite of everything this video suggests and your life will be progressively better with each days passing.

2. This video is for todayā€™s generation particularly those on the left and some on the right

3. Be aware of the ā€œTime Robbersā€ Consume more than you produce. IE: Social media over indulgence and materialism

4. Form your perceptions into positive thoughts by the experiences you choose to partake in

5. Read a dam book and finish it.

6. Set goals that are realistic to achieve

7. Always go outside your own comfort zone to overcome limitations and fears

8. Attract the same people that you wish to emulate and become

9. Lift others up not tear them down

10. Be honest with yourself and accept criticisms from others for self improvement.

3 Likes

ā€œOnly put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.ā€ ā€“ Pablo Picasso

1 Like

Has anybody read ā€œDanteā€™s Infernoā€ This is one of those books I put right up there with ā€œDon Quixoteā€ a deeper read of literature that requires much effort to disseminate meanings and so I must be committed to finishing it from cover to cover.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/history-magazine/article/dantes-inferno-is-a-journey-to-hell-and-back?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20221021hist-dantesinferno&linkId=186783322

Never read it. I should, butā€¦

3 Likes

Its on my list now. Will it make me smarter, give me wisdom, perspective etc.? Sigh! Maybe. An investment of time is what is at stake with going there, but this book has been referenced so many times that in some way leads me to believe there is literary value in reading it.

1 Like

Sounds about right in these dark dystopian times we find ourselves in. Scarcity seems to be a prevailing theme.

1 Like

After seeing persuasive analysis that said a hockey team should pull the goalie if behind with 10 minutes to go - and acknowledging that, if you did that, as coach, youā€™d be fired after a few 10-0 losses Malcolm Gladwell says:

ā€œPull the goalieā€

2 Likes

Yet they pull the goalie 90% of the time with 1 minute to go and down 1 goal. 10 minutes is an entire period and not sure I ever witnessed that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Iā€™m sure that you havenā€™t. His point is, do what you think is right, not whatā€™s popular, but I think in the context of a hockey team, having a bunch of lopsided losses would complicate the wisdom of the statistical analysis.

Gladwell sometimes divines interesting facets to stories covered superficially by the media, but heā€™s not immune to superficial analysis. I saw him say that Hillary lost because sheā€™s a woman.

Ok so in a figurative proposition its more philosophical than literal to expose the fallibility of how one applies flawed logic to draw conclusions while ignoring the facts even when they are contrary.

I donā€™t know what you just wrote, but Iā€™d boil it down to: sometimes he impresses me, sometimes not. You canā€™t discredit everything just because he might not have been good on one thing. With many who have opinions out there on everything, it is justifiable to see a bad trend and stop paying attention.

Some people out there usually have something interesting to offer, like Victor Davis Hanson. Sean Hannity, to me, is stale and unoriginal talking points.

Perhaps a symptom of me over thinking. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It really is saying a lot about our culture to the point we have become one of mediocrity than challenging to new heights of thought. One aspect is that is the entire movement for equality on the basis of false pretenses has produced more mediocrity than elevating merit based accomplishments.

Sean Hannity is more or less the symptoms of a system bent on keeping the old hegemonic points of view alive than offering original thought as opposed to Victor Davis Hanson along with Thomas Sowell who are seeing things with a clear lens un-impinged with any hidden agendas to speak the truth.

1 Like