The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread 📙 📖

Death in Venice?
Thomas Mann

Wash the fruits before you eat them.

It’s Duck that is a common dish! Grappas the drink!

1 Like

Forgot about that book! Totally underrated book by Hemingway.

1 Like

It’s a little rainy here in Venice but you should come visit. Doing a tour of the naval museum here.

1 Like

A friend was visiting Venice and riding a motor boat which functions as a bus (No car traffic there). He saw a young Italian being caught riding without a tickt. What did the Italian do? He jumped into the canal and swam to the other side.

I will book a ticket soon! Its on my bucket list!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

“Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.”

• Lao Tzu

2 Likes

Converts to Islam because he is a coward!

Come soon! I am out of here in a few days! I love coming back here!

1 Like

I was in Venice a few times. One problem visiting Italy is the meal. You have nothing but pasta all the time.

Not necessarily. I just experienced the best pizza here in Venice. Fish, clams, duck!

I don’t know about ducks, but seafood is generally good in coastal cities of Italy.

There is very little diversity in restaurants in Italy, unless you find a Chinese place or something.

I like Italian food myself, but not every day, 2-3 times a day at that.

I am not sure I agree with that assessment. That is like saying there is very little diversity in restaurants in France. The food is the country’s culture, if you don’t like it then don’t live and eat there.

Is there much diversity in Russian cuisine?

In France you can always find Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Thai restaurants.

(Of course the French look down on German and English foods, so there is none).

I spent a few months in Italy but it was virtually impssible to find non-Italian places in medium size cities. Even in Milan I didn’t find such restaurants.

Not that Italian cuisine is bad, but I can’t stand eating Italian food every day.

Where I live, there are Japanese (sushi), Korean, Chinese, Indian, Italian and American (steak and such) restaurants within 15 minutes of walk. And they are all pretty good.

I forgot to mention the Spanish restaurant, aboutt 30 minutes walk. The owner is from northern Spain, a Basque. But I know nothing about Spanish cuisine. For descent Mexican food, I have to go to Tokyo.

I was in Russia only twice. In Vladivostok, sure enough, there are Chinese and Korean restaurants, given its proximity to these countries.

There was a Central Asian place serving (fast food style) foods with rice, lamb, bread, etc. The guys who worked there were from Central Asia. I forgot which country but probably Tajikstan.

In Moscow you get pretty much everything. Georgian food is pretty good, but I am not familiar with the cuisine from the Caucasus. There are sushi bars, Chinese, (former) MacDonalds… you name it.

I am pretty sure you can find diverse foods to eat in Italy! I seriously doubt that Italy is the only exception to all the places you mentioned as being the only country lacking non-Italian foods. I Know for fact that in Rome you can find a lot of middle eastern and Asian foods. Not sure about Indian food, I don’t care much for it so I don’t go looking for it.

1 Like

It was over 30 years ago I spent an extended period of time in Europre, so things must have changed.

Of course there are differences between north Indian and south Indian, Bengali and Kashimiri cuisine, etc. The Indian restaurant in my neighborhood is actually Nepali, but I can’t tell the difference.

1 Like