The Green New Deal

okay but DARPA is an agency of the Department of Defence.

Yeah - they are. But read the link I posted. DARPA funded some basic system-to-system communication protocols. Even DARPA says they didn’t create the internet. Private sector did. It’s a common myth. My kid schooled me up on it - and she is way into Bernie :rofl:

bottom line is the internet today success isn’t because of the government, it is successful because of private sector innovation and drive.

2 Likes

That’s right. The government helped with the pieces of it. Private sector put it all together.

2 Likes

I don’t deny that at all. Private sector innovates heavily. Sometimes the government drives that innovation.

sometimes drives innovation? I would say rarely.
The government job and purpose is up for debate, they seem to impede progress

Sure politicians like AOC wants to be innovative but its the private sector that will be instrumental , no matter how nutty the proposal is

Of course the private sector will implement and further expand on ideas with innovation. I never said they wouldn’t be the primary driver.

Not a chance. You keep throwing out these claims. How about you provide a specific example of the government driving innovation? An example of something dreamed up by the government and given to the private sector. And I don’t mean something like automobile safety. That is a prime example of government interference, not innovation.

And who exactly is this government you speak of? With government interference, one can point to a specific agency responsible for that interference. So any innovation example you provide should include the responsible government agency.

1 Like

Government has pushed major changes resulting in 22 trillion in debt.

Economic growth in the United States has, on average, been slowed by 0.8 percent per year since 1980 owing to the cumulative effects of regulation:

If regulation had been held constant at levels observed in 1980, the US economy would have been about 25 percent larger than it actually was as of 2012.

This means that in 2012, the economy was $4 trillion smaller than it would have been in the absence of regulatory growth since 1980.

This amounts to a loss of approximately $13,000 per capita, a significant amount of money for most American workers.

They don’t do it.

You read far to many liberal sites.

The “Internet” not as it is today but as it was conceived early on. Government drove that innovation. Private sector picked it up and made it to what it is today.

Mass transit?

A cleaner environment. Such an open statement meaning exactly nothing.

Look at the impact we have had with transferring all those middle class dirty manufacturing jobs overseas.

They businesses overseas are no longer bound by our EPA.
Our middle class is a fraction of what it use to be.
Wage stagnation is rampant.

What could possibly go wrong?

Exactly. The reason I do not follow nor put much trust in polls is for that reason.

In post 220, I provided links to material disputing your claim. Rather than simply repeating your claim here, how about you go back and refute the material I provided. :wink:

So, her plan calls for 100% renewable energy use in 10 years. That gives us 2 years to “enjoy” the resulting shitstorm that will be before the world ends in 12 years.

She should be writing crap down when she speaks so she can remember what the hell she is saying.:rofl:

aaaaannnnnnnnnnnndddd there’s the walkback.

Somebody “mispoke”. :roll_eyes:

So predictable.

1 Like

No your links dispute that the government created the internet as it is TODAY. I agree with that. Internet is very complicated and it is a connective fabric that has been grown over time.

However the government was a key part of the point to point communication (using TCP/IP) research which is the backbone of the modern internet.

The links in and of themselves don’t dispute anything.

Here let me repeat the opening quote in the internet article:

"As you might expect for a technology so expansive and ever-changing, it is impossible to credit the invention of the Internet to a single person. The Internet was the work of dozens of pioneering scientists, programmers and engineers who each developed new features and technologies that eventually merged to become the “information superhighway” we know today.

Long before the technology existed to actually build the Internet, many scientists had already anticipated the existence of worldwide networks of information. Nikola Tesla toyed with the idea of a “world wireless system” in the early 1900s, and visionary thinkers like Paul Otlet and Vannevar Bush conceived of mechanized, searchable storage systems of books and media in the 1930s and 1940s. Still, the first practical schematics for the Internet would not arrive until the early 1960s, when MIT’s J.C.R. Licklider popularized the idea of an “Intergalactic Network” of computers. Shortly thereafter, computer scientists developed the concept of “packet switching,” a method for effectively transmitting electronic data that would later become one of the major building blocks of the Internet."

The first working prototype was done in the late 1960’s. That prototype was funded by the Department of Defense. Funding of a working prototype based on innovative ideas going back decades, doesn’t equate to government innovation.

She is clueless about how the real world works. She is making it up as she goes along. If this is what the left has devolved to today, I believe Trump will win reelection in a cakewalk.

1 Like

When I said “your” if was referring to Britain.

But you knew that, didn’t you. :wink: