The Border Wall 11/2/2019

Whoa there cowboi!

…the administration’s major themes remain unaltered: in a plan that already is producing odd political alignments, the White House would confer eventual legal status on millions of aliens now considered illegals, create a “guest worker” program for Mexicans that some critics are calling “institutionalized serfdom”—and for the first time, penalize employers who break the rules.

The illegal aliens present the thorniest problem. There are now as many as 6 million of them living in the United States, and their ranks swell by 250,000 to 500,000 a year. They provide a vital source of labor for the agricultural, manufacturing and restaurant industries in states where they settle in numbers, yet their status is shadowy—never quite tolerated, never quite rejected. The administration proposes to deal with illegal aliens in two ways. Illegals with 10 years’ continuous residency could become eligible immediately for permanent-resident status. Others would become eligible by degrees, providing they had immigrated before January 1, 1981. The purpose of spacing out the granting of permanent-resident status, officials say, is to soften its demographic and financial impact.

Who dat???

“Dat” would be a deal between Reagan and Tip O’neal. In exchange for border security funding which was to consist of effective physical barriers, monitoring tech, and a major expansion of the Border Patrol as well as creating a large interior immigration enforcement agency similar to ICE that exists today Reagan was willing to grant amnesty to about 3 million illegals.

Reagan did his part but of course the democrats bailed and failed to deliver on their end.

Reagan later told is chief of staff that was the biggest regret of his entire presidency.

Now, what other ancient history would you like to discuss today?

2 Likes

Perhaps you would like to revisit Waterloo? And why Napoleon advanced his infantry in rank?

No but he did so because that is how armies fought at the time.

Not true! British armies were successfully defeating the French in battle after battle because they deployed in rank.

The French never learned from experience hence Wellington, despite facing a superior force and absent any support from his Prussian allie, was able to defeat Bonaparte at Waterloo.

Don’t forget the anchor babies provide a channel for providing welfare benefits to illegal aliens. The prohibition against welfare for illegals is circumvented by claiming the benefits are exclusively for the US citizen children when it’s pure idiocy to claim that.

Illegal aliens impose a significant welfare, criminal justice and medical cost burden on US taxpayers. The comparatively crude wall in the San Diego sector reduced illegal crossings by at least 70%. If the vastly more secure wall reduces illegal crossings by only 50% it will be worth the expense.

1 Like

No question about that.

1 Like

Every murder committed by an illegal is a 100% preventable crime.

The difference is that they had no right to even be in the US to start with.

I’d be willing to bet that these costs are, proportionally, far less than costs imposed by regular American citizens. I’ll see what I can find later today.

But there is this…and many studies to back it up.

If all undocumented immigrants were deported today, next year’s Social Security trust funds would have approximately $13 billion less for benefit payouts. It’s a considerable loss of dollars, especially when it’s projected that the Social Security funds will be depleted by 2034.

According to New American Economy, undocumented immigrants contributed $13 billion into the Social Security funds in 2016 and $3 billion to Medicare. Three years prior, the Chief Actuary of the Social Security Administration, Stephen Goss, wrote a report that estimated undocumented immigrants contributed $12 billion into Social Security.

Let me know if you’d care to read more like this, there’s a huge body of evidence supporting Marketplace.

So by removing them we’re only left with the far greater number of murders committed by those who do have the right to be in the US.

Got it.

What you’re left with is a daughter that is still alive because the perp wasn’t there to kill her.

1 Like

I don’t understand your logic.

If an illegal cannot gain entry into the United States then there are no crimes committed in the United States by illegals.

It’s simple.

When illegals are prevented from entering our country, something I fully support by the way, the only crimes committed will be by legals. And the number of crimes committed by natural born Americans dwarfs those committed by illegals.

Why so much pearl clutching and couch fainting over the lesser threat while ignoring the greater threat? Makes no sense.

It is difficult to know whether illegal immigrants are more likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans are. All immigrants have a lower criminal incarceration rate and there are lower crime rates in the neighborhoods where they live, according to the near-unanimous findings of the peer-reviewed evidence. Since 1911, large nationwide federal immigration commissions have asked whether immigrants are more crime-prone than native-born Americans and each one of them answered no, even when the rest of their reports unjustifiably blamed immigrants for virtually every problem in the United States. From the 1911 Immigration Commission, also known as the Dillingham Commission, to the 1931 Wickersham Commission, and 1994’s Barbara Jordan Commission, each has reported that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans.

From that bastion of Liberal/Progressive thinking…

https://www.cato.org/blog/illegal-immigrants-crime-assessing-evidence

I get it now…all perps are illegals :roll_eyes:

See above.

Correct.

That is something that needs to be addressed which does not need the added burden of crimes committed by illegals which is 100% preventable.

I suppose this is why you support illegals from entering our country unvetted?

You know what Watchman?

I get it. Lots of good folks looking to make their way here for a better life.

That isn’t my problem, nor do I care. If they gave a crap they’d make their own damn country a better place and give their blood and treasure to do so. We did it. And we ain’t their mommy or their daddy.

There are plenty of AMERICAN citizens being thrown to the wayside including children, the elderly and veterans who deserve every damn dime and effort that is instead being thrown at illegals.

Remember anything about what making assumptions can do for you?

It’s you who’s writing this…not me.

Neither you or I did it (although I did serve) Our founders laid the groundwork though their blood and giving us a Constitution.

We’re just the beneficiaries. At least for now…I’m uncertain how much longer the Framers intentions can hold in this day and age.

I agree. The monies being used to build this damn vanity wall would be better used for the intentions congress approved the funds for originally.

No, it isn’t. I’m reading what you have written. If I’ve assumed incorrectly then perhaps you need to be more clear.

We are both the beneficiaries and the stewards for future generations in keeping with the Constitution and the intent of the Framers.

1 Like

I don’t see it as a vanity wall. Would you say people who live in gated communities live behind vanity walls?

Nobody but yourself made such an asinine statement.

One crime committed by an illegal is one too many and one that was completely preventable.