Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

If the recent Havard study is true where it is estimated that we have approximately 22 million illegals currently within the country then the cost is closer to 250 billion dollars a year that the American Tax payer is on the hook for. That is a staggering number when you consider that figure is bigger than some countries GDP.

Why are you cherry picking terrorists? The problem is primarily one of immigrants who suck on the government teat and/or turn to crime to support themselves, not the odd terrorist who may be hiding among them.

With the price they pay for a coyote they could afford a first class ticket.

You are wrong there … he is not using logic, he is using liberal obfuscation.

1 Like

The point is, this thread is about the southern border, not terrorists attempting to enter by any means. How about you get back on topic instead of trying to derail the thread.

So is the fence ineffective because it’s old?

So far most cons in this thread are doing a much better job at selling the need for the wall than the Trump admin.

Their messaging is horrible. Can anyone show me any plans for where they want to build the wall?

If that’s what you want to call logic… then knock yourself out.

Trump cannot end the shutdown without congress passing funding bills.

As long as people can walk across the border we will never have border security.

1 Like

I suggest we do not build a wall.

Every person caught should be bussed to california or NY until they say we need border security and a wall.

1 Like

…add the word “unimpeded” and you’ve got a winner! :grin:

1 Like

I was under the impression that there is a distance known as “nomans land” that make passing through slats impossible. Much like the way Prison barriers are designed.

We gave about 1,250 miles of unprotected border that are crossed by thousands of illegals every week undetected who so with little or no worry of even running into a BP agent much less being arrested so we’ll never have any idea how many terrorists or gang members does so successfully.

Try getting through a commercial airport undetected.

Now imagine if our southern border was as secure as the average commercial airport.

Every commercial airport in the world uses a combination of physical barriers, electronic monitoring, surveillance and security personnel to keep the skies as safe as reasonably possible so why exactly should we do any less along our physical borders as well, particularly out southern border where so many of our biggest problems come from?

Where exactly is that “no man’s land”?

To have such a physical barrier would require double fencing with at least one of the fences being solid enough and tall enough to prevent such exchanges.

Double fencing will work well where you also have constant patrols and quick reaction forces along with constant monitoring but then you also need vehicle barriers to go along with it.

The existing fencing/walls fails for numerous reasons including age, type, state of maintenance, lack of electronic monitoring and lack of quick reaction forces.

Some of the newer fencing is extremely effective particularly the newest sections which are well monitored and easily/heavily patrolled.

No, there is no possibility that DHS is going to put out a complete plan of what types of fencing/monitoring already exist nor one showing exactly what is proposed for the future nor should they as it would only make it that much easier on people/groups to plan ways through and around it in the future.

You’re not going to go and download a complete set of plans for your local jail, county, state, or federal prisons for the same reasons.

1 Like

Securing an airport is much different than securing the border.

The land between two countries borders.

I agree, a single fence is not going to deter drug traffickers from passing through drugs, a Cement barrier will, however, if fencing is the elected option, then there has to be a duel tracking design to compliment the overall design proposal!

This obviously is not working

This has been effective in certain places, however the newer designs I have seen include spears on the top!

This can also work with a duel track equipped with state of the art sensors

1 Like

The coyotes take payments and work out payment plans ie muling as well as taking a percentage of the illegals’ earnings in the US. The airlines don’t.

Actually I believe the biggest expense is requiring the land. I may be wrong so don’t quote me on it.

Haha haha

You talk as if people don’t know where are southern border is located. Showing a general plan would not put anyone in any additional danger than they have today.

Where are the sections of “open” borders? Why are they open? Is the terrain a factor? Land ownership?

Why can’t we a least seen a freaking map with red lines where there will be wall?