Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

A wall is a crucial part of border security. Fencing is not a wall.

That depends, the state of the Art Steel Fencing that is 30 feet and with pointed spears at the top along with tech would be better. According to Border patrol having a wall that they can see through is something they prefer! A concrete Wall I am not sure how effective that would be.

If he were to attempt to complete close and seal the border heā€™d be stopped in the courts and quickly impeached when he refused to comply with court orders for relief.

Short of declaring war on Mexico and using combat troops with no restrictions in the ROE against killing civilians it wouldnā€™t even be possible to completely close and seal the border so letā€™s stick with some semblance of reality.

The current proposal everyone is whining about would only provide something like 252 miles of new fencing anyhow. Itā€™s a step on the right direction but wonā€™t come close to securing the border.

Anyone who believes itā€™s even possible to get the democrats to surrender the whole border security issue during Trumpā€™s presidency is delusional.

This isnā€™t going to happen all at once no matter who holds the WH or which party has majorities in either/both houses.

The concrete walls in Israel have proven to be close to 100% effective as have the double fenced areas with constant patrols.

Whatever we put in needs to include deep concrete and steel footings and electronic monitoring to discourage and detect tunneling attempts as well as surface traffic.

Iā€™d prefer we use solid, 30ā€™ or taller barriers with electronic surveillance and provide the BP even great air resources to monitor the border as opposed to the ā€œsteel slatsā€

Steel slats are better than nothing but they make it far too easy for the mules to get guns, money, and drugs through.

1 Like

https://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2019/01/07/the-terror-threat-on-the-southern-border/

More on this

Sure you could figure it outā€¦

What is the known number people in the terrorist watch list?

Divide that by the total number of people who immigrate here (illegal or not).

The resulting answer is the probability that a suspected terrorist would enter the US. I just didnā€™t feel like doing the math.

Tell that you Trump. He uses it interchangeably all of the time.

How is a wall more effective than the fence we currently have? Our biggest problem is people going under or over the current fence. How does a wall change that?

What steel slats are you talking about? I am talking about the newer designs that Border patrol is advocating for. Also Israelā€™s wall is not a good comparison because they donā€™t have to secure 2000+ mile border. However I can be convinced to accept either or, so long it does the job.

We can do that today without the 2000 miles concrete wall.

Uncle Sugar will take care of everyone, just not our own.

1 Like

Until the border patrol is allowed to turn them around and force them back into Mexico this will continue.

There are approximately another 60K in caravans crossing into mxici headed for the good ol USA. Why because they know they can get in. Cross the border illegally and claim asylum. Beat the lines every time.

Another way to deal with the problem is to put them on busses to San Francisco and NYC. Nans and Chuckie want them so send them all to those 2 states.

It changes when you are using state of the art technology. Surely you donā€™t think they are just going to erect a wall and hope for the best do you? Why do you think he (Trump) is asking for 25+Billion dollars? Seriously do you even think this out before posting these nonsensical questions?

1 Like

The above ground fencing lacks the below ground footings and pilings the proposed walls prototypes have thus tunneling beneath them is rather simple.

Install pillars, piers, pilings, and footings along the existing border fence sections and that problem is solved.

Ground sensors can be put in place that can detect any future tunneling as can many other technologies already in existence and use.

Physical barriers have to be a part of any serious security plan.

1 Like

My house has a fence.

Our border needs a wall. Make it high enough and no one is going to go over.

What donā€™t you understand that is it a crucial PART of border security?

Which would be neither practical nor necessary.

Physical barriers deter, deflect, and channel traffic they donā€™t prevent all attempts and thus are only part of the solution.

Fortunately Mother Nature has already provided us with some fantastic physical barriers already, we just need to fill in between them, greatly increase the BP force and ability to respond rapidly, and provide them with the sensors, surveillance, and transportation resources necessary to properly secure the border.

2 Likes

Someone yesterday suggested a ditch, 30ā€™ deep and 30ā€™ across. I have no idea what it would cost but it sounds like it would work as well, if not better, that fencing or a wall.

In a previous thread we had already established that you donā€™t believe we need a wall? Why are you rehashing that again here? We already know your position and you know ours. There is nothing else to discuss in this thread about whether or not we need a wall. If you want to continue to discuss that topic Please move onto the relevant thread. You are beginning to bore me.

This thread is about whether or not Trump should close the Southern border.

Me personally, I donā€™t believe he should shut down the Southern border.

So what say you?

hmmmmmmmmmmm??? :thinking:

A moat works but you still need to have a fence to protect the border, and that will only work in certain places along the border.

Some specifics would be nice. The only thing we have from those two is that a wall would be immoral ā€¦ and Trump only wants $5.7 billion for that, so money apparently is not part of their objections.

1 Like

How can an inanimate object be immoral? Have you ever heard of an immoral rock?