Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

Trump has bent over backwards on this since shortly taking office. Remember he was intially requesting 50 BN for wall funding alone without any concessions on DACA.

Whether we like it or not eventually those who are DACA eligible will be granted some form of legal status and eventually citizenship unless they are removed prior.

It will probably happen under Trump but if not it will certainly happen under the next Democratic president and it will almost certainly happen to at least some degree even if his successor is a republican.

Like it or not democrats have won the political will battle with respect to DACA by depicting them ass being great Americans, Valedictorians, University Honor Grads, military heroes/heroines and victims of the oppressive old white male patriarchy.

We could run constant PSA’s depicting all of the DACA protected “kids” convicted of violent felonies, spousal abuse and every other crime you can name and it still wouldn’t move the needle enough politically to reverse that situation.

Trump isn’t “thriving” his poll numbers are horrible and he’s dragging down the whole of the GOP with him.

He could reverse this trend by taking an approach like I’ve outlined and by going directly to the people with it bypassing the media in much the same way as Reagan but he needs to do it very soon before the economic impact of the shutdown does serious damage to the economy.

“It’s the Economy Stupid” isn’t just a tagline. If the US economy is hurting six months from now up through election day Trump is going to be defeated in the largest landslide since Reagan’s two opponents and the congress will be lost for a generation or more.

Poll Numbers don’t mean anything as everything in life is temporary and can change at anytime.

As far as your suggestion, maybe it could work, but as I indicated and articulated to you earlier eventually one is going to have to come up with solutions and implement those solutions, campaigning will only get you so far.

Lastly, I will concede that the economy is a concern, however it is still humming along according to the latest numbers so I am not as much worried as I am about the optics and the actual implementation of solutions to this one signature issue, which is immigration, and he is standing his ground because his base voted for him in order to do something about it.

If he ends up caving and giving them amnesty for DACA recipients to get the wall, I don’t see how that can be counted as a win. Especially if they get eventual citizenship. Once that happens Republicans are done as far as ever controlling government again and the Democrats those foreigners help elect will happily import as many million more foreigners as necessary to ensure they never lose power again.

Poll numbers determine the outcome of campaigns and especially campaign donations.

Policy and Campaigns are built and either succeed or fail mostly due to poll numbers.

To believe otherwise is simply living in denial, to claim otherwise is a completely misrepresentation of fact.

Politicians react to the swings in political will as represented by poll numbers, that is simply a fact and the DNC has the momentum going into the 2020 election season. The more momentum is built the harder it is to stop much less to reverse.

Not really, at most DACA is only protecting about a million people. The existing non DACA protected illegals are a far greater political threat in both the short and long term.

Tell me, how many pollsters got the 2016 election results wrong? Pollsters are paid to skew numbers from a limited sample survey in order to feed what ever narrative the opposition wants the public to believe! Seriously! I thought you were smarter than that to understand that salient fact?

You are not still watching Fox news are you?

Not counting their parents and siblings? You know what chain migration is right?

The polls drove the entire campaign and many of them were right as to the popular vote which Trump lost.

They missed the EC outcome but even those that missed on the PV did so by a very small percentage.

Don’t let your prejudice blind you to the facts or you’re going to end up horribly embarrassed and disappointed in the long run.

Their parents and siblings are already here, it’s how they got here to begin with.

You are entitled to you opinion, as I don’t have to agree with it. I will leave it at that!

Here and citizens who can vote are not the same thing.

So the final tally is likely to be something like four or five million, remind me what Trumps margin of victory was again?

I heard nothing about giving them citizenship in this latest proposal. My guess is that he will play the long game with an offer of a 3 year deferred action until the SCOTUS takes up the case with the revoked EO that we were discussing earlier, which is supposed to be heard by the end of the year in December 2019.

You got a point! But to be fair, he wants to end Chain migration! I am all for hearing what your solutions are in what Trump should do. If you were in Trump’s current position what would you do?

They are already here and many of them have been voting illegally for years.

DACA eligible people are a minuscule threat compared to the rest of the Illegals already here.

Being an illegal is already an exclusion for citizenship for those who are not covered under DACA so it would take an additional change in law for them to be “chained in”.

Pass the tipping point to where Democrats are in control and the rest of them will become voters PDQ.

Take that handy DACA list and start deporting, enforce the law as written.

1 Like

Good! I am glad I am clearer on where you stand!

Does that include the parents too? Is that realistic as well? How would it be done? You know if that actually happened, what the leftists will be calling it right? Brownshirts? Just a guess of course!

Yes, parents and siblings as well, and oh no, the left will call us names, as if that isn’t their full time job already.