Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

“Read My Lips, No New Taxes”.

It was the centerpiece of his campaign.

Breaking that promise cost him a second term.

Democrats intentionally refused to consider a budget that didn’t include new taxes in order to cost him reelection.

You aren’t much of a student of history are you?

https://www.atr.org/budget-deal-real-tax-hikes-fake-a6322

You are correct! Bush was a total D-bag for making that promise. Trump will lose too if he doesn’t keep his promise. He has to know that the Democrats are trying everything they can to destroy him, so that is why I proposed a close down of the Southern Border as a way to call their bluff. He really has nothing to lose and everything to gain if he decided to go nuclear!

He was right to make the promise, his breaking it was political suicide and more than anything it is what he’ll always be remembered for. He was looking to draw a clear distinction between himself and his democratic opponent who was running ON raising taxes.

Technically, he didn’t. Most people don’t see it that way though. Probably why Trump is standing his ground.

Der der… lie lie… der der

Great job, linking to a bill that would do absolutely nothing to secure the vote of make our elections more fair.

Great work.

Technically how? He caved and signed a bill that raised taxes.

You didn’t read the article I see…

Voting and election laws

• Voter registration would be made easier. Citizens could register online or get registered automatically, via data from driver’s licenses or other government sources. For federal elections, states would have to provide same-day registration and at least 15 days of early voting. Election Day would be a federal holiday.

• The bill would crack down on efforts to take voters off the rolls or prevent them from casting ballots. Felons could regain their voting rights after finishing their sentences.

• Federal elections would require paper ballots to prevent computer tampering. State chief election officials couldn’t get involved in federal campaigns.

• The bill would declare an intent to revive core anti-discrimination provisions of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 that were effectively shut down by the Supreme Court six years ago. It would also state that failing to vote isn’t grounds for taking away a person’s voter registration.

What about those initiatives aren’t fair?

He didn’t cave. He made a deal and the other side reneged. Just as they did under Reagan, his former boss. He should have known better, but that still isn’t caving by a long shot.

2 Likes

None of those “initiatives” does anything to secure the vote, they would make it less secure making voter fraud even easier.

Spin it how you want, he caved. His promise was clear, “No new taxes”.

Instead of keeping his promise he signed a bill that raised taxes.

That he was dumb enough to also fall for the same lie they put over on his predecessor with the promised spending cuts doesn’t excuse the fact he broke his promise.

It doesn’t matter, he still made a promise he couldn’t keep, and that optic alone cost him his re-election to a 2nd term.

When I read shit like this I am truly disgusted what the democrats are trying to do, and Trump should not fall for it. He needs to think of a “outside the box” solution to get around Congress if this is the way they are going to play this game.

Give me some ideas on how he can do that! Cancelling their trip while they were waiting on the bus was his most recent brilliant move, he needs more and go on the offensive in order to unravel and make the democrats look even more silly!

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/01/22/house-speaker-nancy-pelosi-blocks-president-trump-entry-into-capitol-building-confirms-state-of-union-speech-cancellation/

He very easily could have kept the promise by simply refusing to sign any bill that included new taxes.

Had he done so, shutdown or no, he’d have easily won reelection.

I’ve already said repeatedly what Trump should do, he should go on the stump pointing out how it is Democrats that refuse to even negotiate, refuse to do anything to get the 800k federal workers paid, do anything to keep food stamp payments going out.

All of those could be done with a single bill or piecemeal but democrats refuse. Make them own it while Trump goes back to being the champion of the “forgotten man” and federal workers.

Democrats have long been masters of this kind of messaging and republicans routinely suck at it.

1 Like

Ok I can agree with your explanation, however

You are not offering “outside the box” solutions, just more platitudes in playing more politics in hopes the American public will buy it. The issue is the wall and securing the border! So how does he do that without the support of congress? What options does he have in order to get it done and defeat Nancy and the the Republican decepticons?

That would be completely outside the box for any republican president to do.

None one in the last sixty years or longer has taken that tack.

Perhaps it will be more of a crisis too you if they send the next 60K central Americans to your city.

60K are now on the way to the US border to get their free pass into the US.

1 Like

I disagree! Those ideas are more of the same of talk and no action type of solutions.

Talk to me about actions he can take to address the border issue, not campaigning!

The current models of Governance is outdated
The current methods of employing solutions are outdated
The rhetoric of promises being made are outdated
The current national narrative is outdated!

Screenshot_5

The border should have been secured years ago.

7 Likes

Anything is better than what we have today which is nothing.

1 Like