Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

Saul Alinsky taught his acolytes that “the issue is never the issue,” and that is certainly true in this case. Donald Trump is endeavoring to do two things: 1) Make good on a central campaign promise and 2) to take at least some beginning steps towards solving a huge, complex, and hitherto intractable problem.

The Democrats are attempting to destroy Trump, gambling that prolonging the government shutdown redounds to their benefit while also calculating that more illegal immigrants means more welfare recipients, which means more Democratic voters.

It is my sense that the public, while not wild about the shutdown, is also disgusted by the patent refusal of Congress to do its duty and negotiate in good faith.

But there remains the number of people on the left that will do any and everything to destroy Trump.

3 Likes

You discount the medias influence.

The latest manufactured crisis is the perfect example.
The number of people and outlets that condemned and recommends impeachment of trump from the bussed article.

Another manufactured crisis the MAGA hats in Washington who are accused of harassing a native American which is proving to be also false.
The latest manufactured issues on trump from the left and the media.

2 Likes

Don’t forget we have complicit members of the media, some of which have no idea how government functions, also telling these lemmings what to think. One was quoted a few days ago as saying our 3 branches of government were presidential, judicial, and investigative. I don’t know which is worse, that these people are getting their idiocy printed in the first place or that people are actually dumb enough to listen to these asshats. :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like we cross posted. :+1:

1 Like

The wall is Trump’s “read-my-lips” moment. It is an existential issue for him, just as not raising taxes was for George H. W. Bush. Should Trump open the government as the dems demand before they negotiates they will destroy mim as they did Bush.
If you recall they made a deal with Bush to raise taxes and they would cut spending. He raised taxes, they destroyed him and added insult to injury by raising spending.

The Democrats destroyed Bush by inveigling him to raise taxes after he had promised not to.

They hope to repeat the success by preventing Trump from fulfilling what was perhaps his single most important, from a vote-getting perspective, campaign promise.

Hence the Democrats’ intransigence

4 Likes

I can’t say on that one because I don’t know how much of the border needs to be purchased. I think a single drone would cover at least 75 acres worth of purchase though.

How would closing the border stop people from crossing illegally?

That’s not how it went down.

The D congress openly rejected Bush’s proposed spending cuts - as did many republicans.

There was no deal to cut spending in return for higher taxes.

Shame it’s your opinion.
Oct. 6 - President Bush vetoes the stopgap legislation needed to keep the government running. Later in day, the House fails to override the veto by a vote of 260 to 138, 6 short of the two-thirds needed. The Government starts to close down, but the full impact is not felt. It is a weekend.

Oct. 8 - In the early morning hours, a weary and bitterly divided House passes a Democratic budget plan that would cut Medicare less severely than the plan rejected on Oct. 5. It would also leave room for a deal in which taxes on capital gains would be cut in exchange for raising income tax rates for the wealthy. The compromise contains very few specific and leaves Congressional committees with the power to draw up key components. Late in the day, President Bush and Congressional leaders agree on a bill that would avert a Government shutdown. The Senate approves it and sends it to the House.

Taxes were raised medicare spending was not cut, capital gains were not cut.

Drones, ROTFLMAO.

Exactly how do drones stop people from crossing the border illegally???

No clue. lol

20lolz …

A great way to count the number of people crossing.

What ever they use it for, that’s what they’ll spend most of the funding on.

What they say: “MoRe TeChNoLoGy At ThE bOrDeR!”

Translation: “We’re gonna gut any funding you get the moment you look away like we did in '06/'07!”

Show me where I have said we don’t need better border security. I’ll wait…

Sure it is… I’ve stated before that this isn’t the crisis Trumps is making it out to be. To further illustrate that point, I offered up other areas that are issues with the illegal population.

Seems this “crisis” is only focused on the southern border and building a 2000 mile concrete wall.

Will a 2000 mile concrete wall stop them?

Well I was contemplating further what Wiley8425 was saying earlier in this thread about distractions. The thing about Bruce Ohr’s recent revelation within his testimony regarding the attempted coup with the DOJ and FBI to undermine Trump’s candidacy paid for by Hillary? Something is about to go down, and of course I am assuming Barr’s confirmation is one aspect in all of this that will help Trump have a better foothold on where he will be standing with regard to the FISA abuse and several members of congress who could be in some deep trouble. My thinking is if Democrats continue with the impeachment bullshit, that Trump might just go scorched Earth and burn the entire place down. Knowing Trump I believe he does have a nuclear option that he is using as leverage, and it is my belief almost every single one of them including Nancy can be implicated for various crimes. So who knows, but the way things are going you could be right. The border issue is just a distraction right now that Democrats are trying to obstruct as much as possible in order to distract the public from knowing the truth! Eventually something has to give and I believe Trump has the high moral ground to win this border fight!

First, the 20’s will roar. Be sure to enjoy it.

It will stop more illegal aliens entering the USA than the current barriers achieve

It doesn’t I think he was making a point on what Nancy was saying that the border can be secured with more technology and making a tongue cheek poke at how absurd anything Nancy says cannot be taken seriously! Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I read his remark!