Should President Trump Close the Southern Border?

Read slowly…

For 7 consecutive years… Mexican illegal border crossings have dropped. So much so that 62% of illegals in 2016-17 were overstayed visas.

“Since more than one half of all US undocumented residents arrive by air, visa-issuing posts have become the real frontline deterrent to undocumented migration," the study concludes. “This report suggests that more attention and resources should be given to that crucial mission of the US Department of State.”

If that isn’t a punch to your border crisis gut, I don’t know what is.

You are absolutely correct. I had to clarify. I can make mistakes too.

The biggest problem by far are the 20-30 million illegals already here and being a burden on the US taxpayer.

To claim otherwise is simply a lie.

1 Like

Another lie. If the numbers are correct there were somewhere around 500-625K illegals who overstayed their visas in 2016-17 and 20-30 million who were already present in the US.

Even if the top estimate of 625,000 is correct that’s 625,000 of 20,000,000-30,000,000 illegals in the US.

2 Likes

Border wall doesn’t solve that.

Look, it was a different thread but you definitely said it and were called on it.

Only after you were called on it did you “correct yourself”.

3 Likes

And?

Since the start of Trumps presidency, our biggest illegal immigration problem is inside our borders. 20 million illegals and visa overstays, which are far outpacing illegal border crossings 2 to 1.

It cuts the current and future flow across the border to a trickle which gives us then the ability to focus more of our resources on the illegals that are already here.

Again, bailing the ship does nothing to solve the problem if you don’t first repair the torpedo damage and eventually it sinks.

1 Like

Yep. I corrected my statement. Would you rather me double down on an incorrect statement?

If you move the goal posts far enough and often enough eventually you’ll pigeon hole the argument to the point you are finally right.

Congrats.

You claimed you never made the statement to begin with. We can all see that is false.

3 Likes

Visa overstays are a somewhat known quantity, illegal entries into the USA are an unknown quantity. I’ll leave it to you to spot the fatal flaw in the study

2 Likes

Goalposts weren’t moved at all. My entire premise is that illegal southern borders crossings isn’t a crisis. There are likely areas for improvement, but it isn’t a crisis.

Your posts and the facts show otherwise.

Illegal entry at the southern border will always bean unknown. That alone doesn’t make it a crisis.

What is that gibberish even supposed to mean?

We know that where we’ve put effective barriers, surveillance, and increased patrolling illegal crossings are down 95-99%.

We know therefore that where we put effective physical barriers and increased patrolling we can reduce illegal crossings along the entire border by a similar percentage. Fortunately nature has provided effective physical barriers along many areas of the border so those areas need far less reinforcement other than electronic monitoring and quick reaction teams.

1 Like

Since there a re 22m illegal immigrants in the USA (costing the US taxpayer $270bn per year) most of whom have come across the Southern border and continue to do so, it is a crises

4 Likes

How many immigrants successfully cross the border Illegally last year? Or the year befor?

It’s impossible to track how many of those visa overstays left the country through other ports of entry or crossed illegally so it’s an unknown quantity in reality. It’s only fairly recently that we even began tracking those who leave via commercial air so we’ll never know how many left by such means prior to that.

Either way until we secure the southern border we’ll never have the resources necessary to deal with internal enforcement.

1 Like

22m+ have already done so successfully