Pundits and Thoughts on Them

Well, the “deep state” is part of the hyperbole I mentioned in the first post. It excites more than “bureacracy” which is exactly what it is. But we’ve become accustomed to bureaucracy, so no emotions are generated.

The propensity for conspiracy promotion is not restricted to one side and is dependent on who is in power. Case in point - every criticism of Obama policy devolved into accusations of racism. Or the Kavanaugh hearings.

Two words. “Russian Collusion” It’s all we hear about.

As for corruption within the top level of our goverment…are you taking a position that it doesn’t exist?

Or is it only under Trump?

Ever notice the little catch phrases and buzz words they use?

There is corruption in anything as large as the government. This corruption is not limited to Repubs or Dems… it’s not a political trait… it is a human one.

I disagree. It is a trait of politics throughout history.

You can be corrupt and not be a politician. Corruption isn’t limited to politics. It’s not a political trait. It’s a human one.

Politics it seems make it acceptably for “some” reason.

Agreed. But you can’t be a politician without being corrupted.

Maybe saying all of them are crooks and liars is too broad, but I definitely approach it as “guilty until proven innocent.” I don’t give any politician the benefit of the doubt, except my liberal brother who’s beating his head against the wall in a corrupt little city government. During the 2016 election we nearly stopped talking to each other, but now that he’s gotten involved in his local politics I egg him on to drain the swamp.

As far as the thread topic goes, there’s some pundits whose opinions I consider pretty consistently solid, well thought out and usually interesting - Victor Davis Hanson, R Emmett Tyrrell, Ann Coulter, Mark Levin. Before he died, Joseph Sobran was one of my favorites. I can’t name a liberal who I’d say I respect.

“Conservative” pundits who don’t impress me: Glenn Beck is a big one, ever since I first heard his radio show I couldn’t see anything all that deep about his thinking. Sarah Palin has never impressed me with her depth. Ollie North, too. There’s a few who I wish would go away forever, Bill Kristol and Dick Morris come to mind.

1 Like

Glenn Beck got on my last nerve with his attention seeking health scares.

I actually still like Bill O’Reilly though.

Years ago Mark Levin was one that was pushing the flag burning Amendment…yeah that’s right. While telling us he was Constitutional expert.

So I thought about it for a bit…and came to my own conclusion that he was no expert.

Do you know why? Before you say freedom of speech it has nothing to do with it.

Those that know me from “other place” knows what I’m talking about.

The flag burning Amendment restrict you, not the goverment in which the BoR’s was intented.

So how can you be Constitutional expert if you didn’t understand the reason for BoR’s and intent of Amendments?

Well Smiley, you certainly elevated the level of discussion. Thank you for participating.

Good example. Sometimes freedom from… can be ugly.

The Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments. There’s nothing that says that another amendment can’t restrict rights. An amendment that, for instance, nullifies the recent vintage right to “privacy” upon which Roe v Wade was decided, would be something I support.

A flag burning amendment, I assume that means something prohibiting it? That seems to me a waste of an amendment, but not an abomination so much.

Boy, that’s something I don’t often see. Usually I’m being told I don’t know shit by Colostomy Kid.

1 Like

Keep in mind the intent of BoR’s was to restrict goverment…not We The People.

And that’s just what flag burning Amendment does. Restricts the people.

Not amendments. The Constitution as a whole. The Constitution is literally the framework for how our government is supposed to function. The Constitution was a contract between the States and the Central Government that was agreed to in order to form the Union.

Every role delegated by the Executive to Congress or by Congress to the Executive or to lobbyists is a breach of that contract. Every time the SCOTUS violates its oath and makes a ruling that directly conflicts with the Constitution is a breach of that contract.

Why are we even still pretending to follow the Constitution at this point? The government already stopped pretending to follow it several years ago. The Central Government should either be disbanded altogether or every single “representative”, bureacrat, and elected official thrown out and replaced with people who will actually do their jobs.

I’d favor an amendment that strips citizenship of people who organize a caravan of illegals in Honduras, too. I’d favor an amendment that stops birthright citizenship. There’s lots of “rights” I’d curtail if I could. I’d figure out a way to tax the church of Scientology.

The way I always break this down in Main Constitution is between federal goverment and the states in how states. The BoR’s is between people and goverment.

The States ARE the people.