Obesity significantly increases risk of serious disease, researchers warn

You might as well give up, Jen. I’ve never seen where he has admitted to ever making an error…even when I pointed one out to him with a link to the truth.

1 Like

I didn’t make an error.

Maybe not in this thread. However, you did change what you said. I don’t really know that either of them is correct.

No I didn’t. My preference has not changed and a I said and showed there are different ways to measure body mass and different definitions of what defines healthy, and obese though they are similar.

What people find attractive is very much individual although it generally falls along the lines of what we perceive as being healthy, fit, and symmetrical.

Blah, blah, blah! All you are posting are your opinions and preferences and trying to use them to define obesity.

No she’s not. You are an opinionated Know-It-All

Obesity begins at BMI=30
…and that’s just Class I Obesity

Class II runs from 35-39.9%

Class III Obesity starts at 40%
…and includes:

• Severe
  • Morbid
  • Super

50% BMI is SUPER OBESE

What happened to 25-30%…?

That would be 25%…considered OVERWEIGHT

1 Like

Err no, many people have trouble losing weight due to mobility issues. And I wouldn’t qualify that percentage as very small. It’s exponentially harder to lose or maintain a healthy weight if you can’t engage in vigorous cardio due to joint or back problems.

Healthy

Beware the skinny cow. Secretly… they are hungry… very, very, hungry.

“After two whole years, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing by the Nile, and behold, there came up out of the Nile seven cows, attractive and plump, and they fed in the reed grass. And behold, seven other cows, ugly and thin, came up out of the Nile after them, and stood by the other cows on the bank of the Nile. And the ugly, thin cows ate up the seven attractive, plump cows.”

:astonished:

No, once again the source I provided listed 20-30% as normal/healthy.

Once again you’re just arguing to be an ass.

Mobility issues and glandular disorders are completely different things. Glandular disorders was what he was referring to.

There is some deep rooted bitterness there and he’s just lashing out. He got dealt a bad hand along the way and it’s all our fault.

Horse hockey, you’re the one that’s been on the defensive throughout the thread and he’s just looking for an argument.

All I did was state my own preferences and facts.

1 Like

Very true and a very good point, Zantax.

I had my knee absolutely demolished by being sidelined playing volleyball. Never could run again and man, did I love running.

My neck and lower back are a mess from a bad water skiing incident.

But, where there is a will there’s a way. Yoga and exercising in a swimming pool for no stress or damage to joints is a good alternate. I am investigating “spools” for that very reason.

A record high number of Americans—40%, or more than 100 million adults—are living with diabetes or prediabetes according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Without significant changes, as many as 30% of people with prediabetes will go on to develop type 2 diabetes.

13% take medication for diabetes.

BMI is at best a crude measurement,

As a retired hockey player, non professional I still carry a great deal of muscle which weights more than fat. The BMI would consider me over weight however that certainly isn’t the case.

We had a guy at air force OTS like that. He was muscular… not fat. But he almost got booted for being too fat. Stupid rules.

1 Like

Skating develops large muscles in the legs as well as shoulders.

The doc said I was borderline obese and started laughing.

No question about the first. According to CDC though as of 2015 9.5% were far enough along in progression to need medicating.

Because of my body density I had to get calipered and weighed every year to get a waiver. The old military weight charts were ridiculous as averaged only 5-7% body fat.

In 2011 the CDC reported 13% taking pills or insulin.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/meduse/dtltable2.htm

Spending on diabetes and pre-diabetes is currently $322 billion per year, up from $245 billion in 2012 and now accounts for one-fifth of overall healthcare spending in the U.S.1 From 2015 to 2016, U.S. spending on diabetes related medications increased from $43.9 billion to $51.5 billion.