Hong Kong dissidents hoping to take protests to mainland China

1 Like

It is all a part of the game. The CCP will not tolerate disobedience, nor being ignored. This is just for domestic consumption, laying the groundwork for when China starts getting really heavy. Similar to the bollocks that was aired prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

We should poke out of it - it isn’t our problem.

1 Like

You are possibly correct

Not ‘possibly’, definitely. Poking our nose into the ME and fucking everything up every time should be lesson enough.

1 Like

I find that more than a bit disturbing.

I can’t think of any reason to cut off only outbound flights unless you’re planning on a big crackdown in which case it traps dissidents you wish to crackdown on.

Well that’s an improvement.

That is correct…

What I heard on UK TV was that flights already in the air were being allowed to land. There was no mention of any flights either being encouraged, or opting, to turn back. However I feel sure that flight plans were being discouraged.

I am unsure as to the status of Hong Kong. There is a 50-year transition period during which the UK governing process is replaced by some other system, which could be full adoption and assimilation into China.

What happens, or should happen, if the stability of the region is threatened during the transition period is what makes me say ‘possibly’. However I am generally in agreement that foreign powers should not get involved.

Recent update on the situation…

I can think of a whole lot of reasons that HK might be a good place for international powers to step in should they try to take HK by force.

China is absolutely working on expanding it’s sphere of control and just like Nazi Germany if you don’t stop their momentum very early you’re not going to be able to later without paying a tremendous cost.

I feel the same way about Taiwan.

We always hear the non interventionists complain about the cost of stepping into a conflict or potential conflict but they never address the cost of not doing so.

WWI and WWII are definitely lessons we should not ignore or forget.

1 Like

I agree. The expansionist practices in the South China Sea, which are even worrying the Australians, are a harbinger.

Taiwan: different bag of worms, same story.

1 Like

If the western world doesn’t stand up for democratic powers in the East sooner or later we’ll be fighting them at home.

China’s toe hold in VZ and Central America should be alarming the hell out of all of the Western Powers particularly in this hemisphere.

The one place the US for example is seriously vulnerable to a conventional attack is through Mexico.

China’s toehold in Africa should be alarming the hell out of the Europeans.

They aren’t building those relationships solely for economic benefit.

Someone said this to me today! I thought it was pretty interesting!

“Replace “warships” with “banana boats” and “show of force” with “show of solidarity for sovereign China under it’s Divinely appointed Emperor” and you would have a more accurate rendering of where the UK stands on this kind of matter these days.

Ex-Pat Brit.”

I don’t know what position your country is in to take on China, it certainly would be nothing like your efforts in the ME the past couple of decades. But report after report from our Pentagon paints a dire picture. The Pentagon certainly believes that China will make a military move on Taiwan.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, China has been on the move to balance global power. They are building aircraft carriers, have developed weaponry that can keep yours, and our aircraft carriers out of striking range of their mainland and can mobilize an army dwarfing yours and ours.

Unless you’re gunning for another world war, you might rethink interference in Chinese affairs.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/dec/27/china-deploying-carrier-sinking-ballistic-missile/

The above I cropped is a complete lie.

As usual no surprise of Monte Crusty commenting in threads where he has no clue about its subject matter while also trying to derail them at the same time!

I think the most effective way is what is happening economically! For the most part it’s working! Just watched a interview with Gordon Chang this morning and he offered a lot of interesting insights about what is happening in relation to the US and Europe’s view of how to deal with China! (First minute and a half is bad audio after that it’s ok)

Gordon Chang: On the Hong Kong Protests, Chinese Economy, Trade War, & Trump’s New Tariffs

Already seeing signs of their economy cracking!

China Interbank Lending Fear Rising as Third Bank Seized

Hong Kong Protests Spark Capital Outflow Fears

The US debt has expanded despite Trumps promise to pay it off. But we certainly can’t afford a war with China…