Climate Change, do people really care?

The planet is finite, any way you look at it, we don’t have unlimited resources and we should probably be discussing both better ways to conserve those resources as well as reducing our population on a voluntary basis.

Speaking of climate change… hell must be freezing over because I agree with you.

Relax, I am sure our agreement ends shortly after that point.

I am open to discussing ways to conserve or better yet, make more out of our resources.

I’m not into reducing population on a voluntary basis. You are coming way too close to the abortion argument on that one.

No, I am not, choosing not to have more children is not remotely related to aborting ones you already created. I chose to have two, which is below replacement level, no abortions needed.

I understand what voluntary reduction of population means to you which has nothing to do with abortion. Only because I have engaged with you beyond a single post which does not stand on its own.

However, what you said COULD be interpreted as you being in favor of abortion: witness the approval of your post by the resident troll :wink:

My personal contribution for the past 20 years has been to live with lower home temperatures in the winter and hot home temperatures in the summer. I haven’t run my central HVAC system in almost 20 years.

I heat only the room in which I spend the most time. I use only fans for cooling…by running a small twin fan exhaust system in one bathroom window…pulling air from under the house through the HVAC ducts 24/7 year round.

In the winter, I bundle up. In the summer, I wear nearly nothing…when indoors.

My total utilities…for a three bedroom, two bathroom house with a vaulted ceiling living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a breakfast room and a two-car garage…are less than $150/mo.

Nope, you are just as evil as they are, just at a lesser magnitude. :wink:

Seriously, I love the concept of geothermal heat and power. Man will have caused his own extinction long before the core quits generating the magnetosphere no matter how much heat he extracts from it while the species is living.

If you recharge your tool batteries with solar power, they are solar powered tools. But regardless, even if you charge them with coal-fired electricity, they use less fossil fuel than gasoline powered tools.

Unless I’m mistaken, nobody is going deep enough to make a difference (but I’m interested in what you think Chevron is doing). If we could really tap the energy that’s only a few hundred miles below us, we could forget all other sources of energy, we’re sitting on incredible amounts, I think the time frame for earth’s cooling (at current rates) is on the order of billions of years. We’d need to use that heat in unimaginable amounts to make a difference.

Chevron recovers lots of heavy oil by shooting steam down the hole - that’s their strength and why they have been relatively unmolested in Venezuela - but that’s not very deep oil. The deep holes use the pressure down there to drive the oil upwards, and when it gets too hot, everything breaks. Oil itself starts decomposing at temperatures above 700F or so, that limits the temperature of distillation columns and it’s why refineries need to do a vacuum distillation for stuff boiling hotter than diesel.

The problem is using that heat - if you can invent a heat exchanger that can pass lava on one side and steam on the other, you’ll be rich and they’ll write poems about you.

By the way, as I’ve stated in my own thread, man-made global warming as purported by “climate scientists” is politicized pseudoscience. Being against that is a good thing. The corruption of science by these hacks calling themselves “climate scientists” should be disheartening to anyone who values science.

I must agree with you but that’s a subject few want to discuss.

1 Like

Regardless of that, it still takes energy to manufacture solar panels…and energy to maintain them. I’m not saying they don’t save energy…just that no form of energy production is truly free.

Nonsense. B&D are garbage, but DeWalt, Stihl, Milwaukee, and many others are excellent. Even some relatively inexpensive ones such as Ryobi are very good. I have a set of 18 volt Ryobi tools ($200 for the set) that my coworkers gave me when I retired in 2003 that I have used extensively for all the years hence with no failures at all except for wearing out batteries. I have several DeWalt yard tools, including a chain saw (which cost me only $250 w/ a replacement battery) that are excellent replacements for gas or chorded electric tools. And I plan to buy more … next on the list is a hedge trimmer.

Remember that the next time you start railing about all conservatives being evil planet destroyers.

Agreed. Green power is very dependent on a lot of non-green energy and resource extraction. But then the greenies are a simpleminded lot.

You think I believe in forced abortion? Wtf

“Climate Change”?

Nope. Couldn’t care one iota.

Now actual pollution, deforestation, sane land management… I support trying to fix those issues.

To be honest, my use of battery powered tools is more of a convenience. I don’t like to mess with gasoline and the maintenance required to keep gasoline engines running.

But I do believe battery power is cleaner, even though I can’t back my opinion with factual data.

It is cleaner…especially to the user. However it is not a zero carbon emitting source. Some carbon energy was expended to produce the tool, the batteries and for you to recharge the batteries using household power.

I have some electric tools (corded) and some battery powered tools. My corded tools work every time I plug them in.

Another drawback to batteries is the proper disposal of wasted batteries. You’re not supposed to just throw them in the trash bin.

1 Like

That’s because population growth comes from countries with largely Latino and black populations. In other words people who would likely vote Democrat if they could get here.