Brexit Betrayal

There you go again with a display of poor comprehension. I didn’t imply that billions of people would want to listen to what Paul McCartney has to say.

I said that billions of people don’t think the same as you. Essentially, I agreed with what you said…“You might be prepared so sit through an hour of a video then find yourself wondering what the salient point of it was, but I sure ain’t!”, and added that it depended on the topic.

In an interview with a famous person, there may not be a salient point, just bits of information of which you were previously unaware…or a reason to change your opinion of the person.

Sir Paul McCartney is a salient person. The term salient refers to anything ( person , behavior, trait, etc.) that is prominent, conspicuous, or otherwise noticeable compared with its surroundings.

BTW, that should have been “…surely ain’t!”

This concludes your lesson for the day.

Back to topic:

BJ seems to appear more like DT as time goes on! I like his style!

I still am confused a bit about what the “deal/no-deal” issue involves.

Would a no-deal Brexit mean that EU and Britain obtain a complete cutting of all strings between the two? (Like maybe a no-alimony divorce?)

Would Brexit with a deal obligate Britain to retain some obligation to the EU…such has payments or compliance with certain EU edicts?

What’s the deal here?

No deal would mean any EU citizen currently living and working in the UK (around 3 million I think) would no longer be automatically legally entitled to do so. It’s not automatic but im simplifying. Similarly, any British citizen living and working in the EU (around 1 million I think) would be in the same boat.

All imported goods from the EU would be subject to customs checks (delays) and taxes per WTO rules. Roughly half of all UK imports and exports are to/from the EU, and currently tax free.

So a significant chunk of goods, starting with food at the supermarkets and working all the way up to high end luxury goods would see an immediate price bump.

Currently all goods coming to/from the EU fly through customs with very few if any checks, and the trade corridor is one of the busiest on the planet. So delays would be instant and significant, particularly re: perishables (food), current logistics aren’t built to deal with customs delays either coming in or going out.

There would be a new land border between N.Ireland and Ireland, one being an EU member and one not. The border was previously a flashpoint of terrorism during the troubles so having to do border checks at that border could/would reignite things in a bad way.

Currently 1/5th of the UK economy is based around finance, with London being the trading capital of the EU. Every financial transaction to/from the EU is currently, like customs and taxes, basically hassle free. Barriers would go up overnight.

Those are some of the more obvious and immediate problems, there’s also hundreds of agreements re: research and energy etc (selling and buying power to France for example) that would cease with immediate effect.

What a deal would result in depends entirely on the deal. Though obviously anything we want to sell to the EU (as in half our exports) has to meet EU standards regardless of our membership.

1 Like

Shazaam! Let’s Make A Deal! (That’s just a phrase. I’m a Yankee!)

It shouldn’t have to include arbitrary payments to EU to support their government.

It shouldn’t have to include that Brits are bound be EU law.

October 31 is only 25 days away.

Apropos the residency entitlement question (para 1), and despite all government reassurances that all settled EU residents will be secure, the hyped-up Project Fear spin still insisted that current EU residents would be threatened with enforced repatriation, thereby stoking up the anti-Brexit propaganda even more, I wrote (I paraphrase) ‘All we’d need to do is simply retaliate in kind, viz. make it known that if any member state deports Brits back here, then we simply deport their expats back whence they came. Sorted!’ Honestly, I’m so smart it frightens me! :sunglasses: :smile:

1 Like

You might have read what I’ve said about it before, but the main reason - the only reason - that Remain politicians want to maintain links to Brussels is so they’ll be able to move on to other bureaucratic sinecures post-Westminster, and carry on leeching from the taxpayers like the bloody opportunistic parasites that they are: and they want it even knowing that it would mean giving away £40b of our money . . . of OUR money . . . to achieve that ambition.

Well pop stars aren’t usually known for their political nous and wisdom, but using a panning-for-gold metaphor, I guess there’s always the chance of finding a grain of gold in a sieve full of river-bed detritus. McCarney might have more academic qualifications than me - actually he couldn’t have fewer, because I don’t have any. :flushed:

The EU needs a deal much more than we do
Brexit Party MEP Rupert Lowe…:

“The eurozone has been paralysed by its inability to generate domestic demand and is dependent on exports to Anglo-Saxon nations. Yet these are growing increasingly frustrated at the protectionist policies of the EU – as shown in the recent WTO decision against Airbus, and the resultant imbalance in trade… The German car sector is already facing severe problems due to the decline in demand for the combustion engine, not helped by the diesel emission scandal, and the global switch to electric and hydrogen-powered cars. Add into this the potential loss of the UK market – which consumes a fifth of German car exports and is the market with the highest profit margin – with the imposition of 25% car tariffs in the US and one of Europe’s key industries could soon be facing a perfect storm.”

“This European project has transformed from a voluntary economic club into a cartel, demanding protection money from those that it views as weaker than itself – truly a gangster state. The global economic storm clouds are gathering and the next downturn may be but weeks away. The EU’s intransigence over Brexit may well be the straw that breaks the global economy’s back. Yet free from this protectionist cartel, the UK can quickly adapt and react to changing global conditions in a way that the EU has shown it is incapable of doing. Britain’s long-term future is bright; the bigger question is whether the EU has one.”

Le Projet was conceived by bureaucrats for bureaucrats to be their very own Utopian dream, where they can award themselves massive salaries/bonuses/allowances (you name it) for bossing the plebeians around, and now they’re gonna get a very rude awakening - and nobody is more pleased about it than I am.

:rofl: :rofl: He’s running rings around them, and after the 3-1/2 year long dream that’s it’s all in the bag, they now think they’re in the middle of a nightmare. I haven’t laughed so much since the cat died! MEGA (Make England, Great Again)

TODAY’S HEADLINES ()

*** Downing Street says the EU will be guilty of a ‘historic misunderstanding’ if it thinks the Benn Act will delay Brexit**

• President Macron says the EU will make a Brexit deal decision ‘at the end of the week’

• Boris Johnson may seek Supreme Court ruling on no-deal Brexit

• Attorney General Geoffrey Cox has reportedly threatened to resign if Johnson doesn’t write Brexit extension letter

• Steve Barclay confirms MPs could be asked to vote to back Johnson’s Brexit offer before next week’s EU summit

Unless I’m missing a nuance here, would anyone care if Geoffrey Cox does resign? I wouldn’t! :upside_down_face:

I’m not sure why he would threaten to resign but it may be a ploy to make EU think we will ask for a delay.
Geoffrey was brilliant in Parliament recently and I would miss him.It may just be that, as a lawyer, he can’t be seen to condone anyone breaking the law.

You could be right - there’s a lot going on behind the scenes, and it’s
being choreographed by some very smart people, and I’d bet that Nigel Farage is one of them? But provided they frustrate the traitors, I honestly don’t GAF what they do to achieve it. I still can’t get over the turnaround though - from 3-1/2 years of ‘walking through treacle’ to this tornado of activity. And to think I once thought of Boris as a duffer. How wrong I was.

And it was a ‘fixed’ law, and it deserves to be broken as do all bad laws.

Talking of which, isn’t it time we had a referendum for independence too? (Wales and NI can stay).

They can all go so far as I’m concerned; they’re albatrosses around our neck, especially the mad Irish.

Before the referendum, Cameron made a speech in which he reiterated about 28 times, that leaving the EU meant out of the single market and out of the customs union. So to be crystal clear. It was May who attached the significance of a “deal,” i.e. a tie to what “leave” meant. Now we cannot leave without a deal, in other words, cannot leave.

So even if Boris sorted out the NI issue (a roadblock created by the EU) and got a free trade deal with the EU, Parliament would still vote it down. That is because of the huge infestation that is currently Parliament; the traitors who swore by their party manifestos (both Conservative and Labour manifestos included delivering Brexit upholding the will of the people) to get voted in under false pretences.

1 Like

I still don’t trust Boris - Boris needs a deal with Nige.
‘‘EVERYBODY in the BBC voted remain’’ Who’d guessed?

I fondly recall the time when the BBC was an internationally-respected organisation - a-political and impartial. Now it’s the propaganda mouthpiece of whichever Party is in government, and run by the gay mafia, with a remit to dumb down and vulgarise our country . . . and a jolly good job it’s making of it too. Actually it’s being unwittingly treacherous in the stupidity or the partisanship of the extreme Lefties who now run it. I noted yesterday that John Humphrys has noticed what has happened to it, and after 40 years of working for the BBC, he should know? If Boris does renege after all he’s been saying, his political life will be over.

I’ll watch the vid tonight on my smart tv.

Eh? Say that again?!

Where is your steadfastness? Where is your mettle? You are falling for exactly what the Remain alliance want you to think - they tie Boris’ hands and it’s Boris’ fault if he can’t get out! We will leave, even if we are prevented from leaving on the 31st, then the shit will really fly, and it won’t be thrown at Boris.