Brexit Betrayal

They are a Northern Irish political party that are technically in a coalition with the conservatives

1 Like

You missed the point. The prediction headline was Iceland would be a failed state without being a full EU member. Icelanders laughed it off and are doing great. Most remain firmly opposed to the idea of joining the European Union.
Yet poor and helpless UK will suffer a catastrophic crisis.

[quote=“MoleUK, post:1270, topic:337, full:true”]

So we get a million+ retirees returning home, and lose 3 million workers.

Excellent bargaining chip.

Got a better idea?

The UK is finished, and apart from royalty and their hangers-on, most of the general public doesn’t give a fig if we all go our separate ways. I mean the constituent countries want to anyway? Especially Scotland??

This poll is a bit old but I haven’t seen anything recently to contradict it.

Project fear strikes again.

LOL Nobody’s thought of that one? :grin:

It is the most appropriate description for your fact less conjecture so I’m sure it is probly the first thing we think of.

I’m not sure I understand that, but no need to elucidate.

I think you understand perfectly

Well I don’t, so if you want to discuss you will have to elucidate please??

You misquoted me so it looked like you were saying what I said.

I’m not quite so pessimistic.

But I do think a hard Brexit would mean we’d lose Scotland within a year or so.

The economic predictions re: Brexit are because a hard Brexit means no access to EU markets.

Iceland has access to EU markets, it gets them in exchange for freedom of movement. I’m not sure who exactly was doom and glooming them re: membership, as membership isn’t necessary to get the economic benefits of free trade with the EU. Same with the Swiss.

I wouldn’t mind getting a similar deal to Iceland or Switzerland, though it’s by no means perfect. But it’s the Brexiteers who would shoot that idea down, as they don’t want to accept freedom of movement.

Yep its happening

2 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. What, if any chaos/pain that will bring the country. And as I mentioned earlier, financiers here in the US seem more concerned about a no deal Brexit, than a mitigated and orderly Brexit.

Hard Brexit means a return to WTO rules in terms of import/export. So immediate taxation on about half of all British exports and imports, as about half our trade is with the EU.

As an EU member imports/exports to/from the EU are essentially tax free and frictionless, very few if any border checks on goods coming in and going out so the supply chain is setup to handle that.

As a result the channel is the largest trade corridor on the planet. Upon leaving all goods will potentially have to be check at the border, causing potentially catastrophic delays. Especially when it comes to persishables. About 10,000 lorries cross the border each day, so it doesn’t take a genius to work out that putting them all through customs is going to cause significant delays.

London is also a financial capital of the world, 1/5th of the UK GDP is from the financial sector. As an EU member financial services are streamlined, outside the EU there will be more hoops to jump through there, so you can expect services being relocated from London to Berlin.

A no deal Brexit was never supposed to have happen, even hard-line Brexiteers made clear it wasn’t the goal and any suggestion that it may happen was “project fear”, since the UK supposedly held all the cards in any negotiations with the EU.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of economic knock-on effects.

1 Like

Thank you Mole, I appreciate the explanation. :+1:

Where do you think Scotland would go the EU has previously said they do not want them and financially they cannot maintain independence themselves???

It’s more likely we will lose Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland

Scotland is in a tricky situation, EU members like Spain did/do NOT want to encourage secessionist movements, as there are regions like Catalonia where there is already significant tension.

They would however also be interested in twisting the knife in terms of making a hard Brexit as painful as possible as an example to other Eurosceptic movements.

So I wouldn’t rule out the Scots being granted EU or EFTA membership after a hard Brexit resulting in Scottish Independance. It’d get them some potential PR brownie points. Though it would introduce yet another border problem with the UK.

And yeah, losing N.Ireland is definitely on the cards as well. All of that bloodshed and violence on both sides will have been for nothing, just had to wait for the unionists to do a 180 and say “Fuck it”.