Brexit Betrayal

Why do we never hear about the huge benefits to consumers that a no-deal would mean.

1 Like

…because the government doesn’t want to leave the EU

Thats partially true but the bigger reason is that all the media luvvies don’t want us to leave either

Read that article Stu posted about 5 entries above.

I did Ex - still can’t find it mentioned anywhere - am I missing something

It’s like Cluedo mate !

Is it that bastard Colonel Mustard in the Library with the candlestick the bounder !!:grin:

1 Like

Stu !!
I found someone who needs a nipple :smile:

If you go to the link Stu posted you will transport to a page from cyberboris.wordpress.com … and if you click the appropriate link you will get here!
Private Site

However since that appears to be beyond you…

On Monday July 9th 2018, several leading French, German and Dutch senior managers were called by EU officials to an urgent meeting.

The meeting was said to be private and those present were informed that Prime Minister May and Chancellor Merkel had reached an Agreement over Brexit. Knowledge of this was attained from the actual transcript of the meeting between May and Merkel.

1. The Agreement was couched in a way to ‘appease’ the Brexit voters.

2. The Agreement would enable May to get rid of those people in her party who were against progress and unity in the EU.

3. Both Merkel and May agreed that the likely course of events would be that UK would re-join the EU in full at some time after the next general election.

4. May agreed to keep as many EU laws and institutions as she could despite the current groundswell of ‘anti-EU hysteria’ in Britain (May’s own words, apparently.)

5. Merkel and May agreed that the only realistic future for the UK was within the EU.

The original Agreement draft was completed in May 2018 in Berlin and then sent to the UK Government Cabinet Office marked ‘Secret’.

NB This Agreement draft was authored in the German Chancellor’s private office.

The Cabinet returned the Agreement draft with suggestions, and there was some to-ing and fro-ing during June 5th 2018.

Private calls between the Prime Minister and Chancellor were made.

The Agreement’s final draft came out late in June 2018. The German Chancellor told Prime Minister May that this was a deal she would support, though there would need to be some more small concessions by the UK to keep the EU happy.

The Chancellor and Prime Minister met in Germany. Merkel had this meeting recorded as a ‘private meeting’ though the Prime Minister was probably unaware of that.

The Chancellor had the transcript of that meeting circulated secretly to EU and key German embassies.

Conclusions

Documents make it quite clear that Prime Minister May was negotiating with Germany, not the EU.

The transcript also makes it clear that the Prime Minister intended to keep all this secret from minsters, especially the Brexit group.

She wants to keep as many EU institutions in UK as intact as possible in order to facilitate an easy return to the EU after 2020.

Chancellor Merkel briefed May on tactics to force Cabinet approval.

The Prime Minister and senior civil servants were working with Germany to stop Brexit or water it down to prevent free trade and the ending of freedom of movement, but to keep cash flowing to the EU.

David Davis was kept in the dark while key EU premiers in France, Holland and Ireland were briefed in full.

Key EU heads were actually briefed in full the day before the Cabinet meeting at Chequers.

And I found someone missing a few grey cells.
The q I asked was why does no-one mention the huge benefits to the UK consumer of a no-deal Brexit.
The article you refer to mentions reducing tariffs but it doesn’t mention the huge benefits of no tariffs to the British consumer and, like you, Joe public needs it to be spelled out before they understand. And thats what the MSM should, but don’t tell us.

Mate the MSM are never going to sing from the rooftops about anything which makes a no deal Brexit ( I hate that term let’s just say …) The Brexit we voted for , appealing in any way. Media is in the Middle buffer layer, with Government, Education, Religion etc etc and we all know what that layer wants.

Ok
Maybe it is because the benefits are not so huge and could be wiped out by an unfortunate movement in Sterling against other currencies. It could be because the purveyors of that message have already tarnished themselves by over-stating the other numbers concerning payments to the EU … or not. More likely it is what Stu said.

Yeah I think that is the most likely reason.

Picked this up from Telegrath today - IDS sums things up beautifully.

What has followed in the intervening 80 years has been a collective deceit about the purpose of the European project. This can be seen in decision after decision taken on issues concerning the EU.

Brexit should signal a return to honest politics

roflmao1

1 Like

Yeah right!!

1 Like

I’m sitting in the Chamber of the House and I can’t help but hum ‘Hotel California’ — it’s the sort of place you can never leave. It reminds me of the Brexit impasse. However hard we try, we can’t seem to work a way through it.

I think it is also beginning to dawn on some of my colleagues, that if we don’t check out tonight – i.e. if we don’t support the Withdrawal Deal – we may never leave the EU. And yet, the vote seems almost certain to be lost thanks to a combination of Remain and Leave MPs determined to bury the Government’s plans.

It could be so different. Tonight, we could actually vote to leave the EU with a withdrawal deal that will ensure stability in our relations with the European Union. We could finally begin to bring an end to this phase of the Brexit saga. We could begin to get on with the next phase of negotiations. More importantly, we could get back to governing and to producing the ideas, teamwork and leadership that Conservative Governments are meant to deliver.

Instead, we are going to take a leap into the unknown and prolong the Brexit purgatory.

I voted Brexit. So did the Isle of Wight, my constituency. I want it to happen, but I fear that we are about to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. This entire episode is becoming a shambles that reflects appallingly on this current House of Commons.

Where to start?

A very small number of hardcore Conservative Remain MPs are doing everything in their power to block Brexit, using arcane tools of Parliamentary procedure to do so. There is no respect for the mandate of the people. There is simply a determination to overrule their constituents. Most Conservative Remain MPs, to their credit, are respecting the result and are supporting the Withdrawal Deal.

Labour have behaved with an opportunism that would be laughable would it not be so shocking. In debate after debate, Labour MPs despair of the impact of a ‘no deal’ Brexit before declaring that they will not vote for the Withdrawal Deal, condemning us to the end result they say they most want to avoid — no deal. It is mendaciousness taken to high art.

And yet, and yet … my Brexiteer colleagues now seem intent on making sure that the Withdrawal Deal will fail to get the necessary support. We have a reasonable deal. It gives us much of want we want. Brexit is within our grasp. But instead, we are opposing it, making the perfect be the enemy of the acceptable. It’s true that the Backstop hasn’t been fully renegotiated, but the Attorney-General has said that additional legal powers have been obtained, making it even more unlikely that they will be needed. In addition, the Attorney-General has reminded MPs that, as a sovereign state, we could withdraw from the treaty, as we can from others.

Yet mention this to some colleagues, and the instant reaction is “betrayal”, What can one say?

There are now no good options. If we fail to vote this through, we could potentially bluff our way to no deal. It is possible but I don’t think the odds are on it. If Cabinet Ministers start to quit Government on a daily basis, the political reality will trump the legal technicalities. The Prime Minister may resign, leading to a leadership race. A General Election is possible. MPs may vote to take powers in relation to Brexit away from Government. Tomorrow we will have a series of votes on what happens next. Remain MPs in the Conservative Party and almost all Labour, SNP and Lib Dem MPs will ensure that the only Brexit voted for will be much watered down. So much for the tactical brilliance of my Brexit colleagues, whose sentiments I admire but whose tactics without strategy are beginning to feel like, in the words of the Chinese philosopher Sun Tsu, “noise before defeat”. I hope I am wrong.

We could opt for a simple outcome tonight, and overall, probably the best outcome: we could vote for the deal. Sadly, we are likely, with Conservative support, to vote it down again, guaranteeing that the wretched soap opera of Brexit continues. I wish Conservative colleagues would swallow their reservations and, echoing the mood of the people we represent, just get on with it.

Thoughts?

My thoughts have not changed since very early on in this debacle.
I have believed that an underhanded plan was put into place just before David Davis felt the need to resign. May was working on a plan in isolation of her Brexit ministers in parallel with his efforts. I believe she had been instructed to follow the path she is on with a belief by those who orchestrated the plan, that the outcome will be to get the process back to a peoples vote to remain in the Union. With the foregone knowledge that enough scaremongery would be poured upon the British public through state media (BBC and News corps that help the establishment in these times in exchange for juicy coverage later), such that when the time comes to vote again, the British public would overwhelmingly vote to stay.
Tactics, to achieve whatever the EU heads of state have wanted, have been played in this way before and will continue in the future.
I hope I can come back here in a few weeks and say I was wrong. Let’s hope :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

“And yet, and yet … my Brexiteer colleagues now seem intent on making sure that the Withdrawal Deal will fail to get the necessary support.”

Bob seeley should know that placing the word Deal next to Withdrawal doesn’t make it a good deal. Same old shite. What is termed as “no deal” is in fact just BREXIT, ie: Leaving the EU.

1 Like

It would be best to just walk away and negotiate trade deals after the fact.

Yet the EU still sets to control the UK via the deals process.

2 Likes

I would think so Lou but of course it is difficult for us mere mortals to form an opinion, as we are only fed the information that is released by the Gov and MSM.
I find it interesting that headlines such as this are finally coming out of the woodwork:

“Carney says no-deal damage could be less than feared”
6th March 2019

and this scaremongery headline from the BBC 12th feb:

Mark Carney says no-deal Brexit would be economic shock

It is all very sad.

1 Like

May loses
May resigns
Snap election
My wet dream scenario

1 Like

How does that benefit a clean break ?