BREAKING: Senators Working to Slip Israel Anti-Boycott Law Through in Lame Duck

As far as I can tell, your posts have not explained the need for the legislation… you have your contracts whatever they are and you agree to abide by those contracts to make your living. It doesn’t explain why you want this legislation foisted on the rest of the business community who is not affected by the government contracts you sign. The only reason I see that you support this legislation is that you are very pro Israel which of course is your right but using the force of the federal government to make everyone else to adhere to your political philosophy… not much of a constitutional reading there.

Second, no one disputes the word ‘boycott’ as it is used in the legislation… all several people have asked you is do you support this kind of government bludgeoning of its citizenry for any and all other nations the government forces you to enact business with even if your political views are against the government and policies of that government just because your views align with other international bodies?

You started out by disputing the quote "“The bill prohibits U.S. persons from… supporting any boycott fostered or imposed by an international organization, or requesting imposition of any such boycott, against Israel.”, which because of the ’ … ’ is structurally correct and as I said, the omission of the words “engaged interstate or foreign commerce” does not change the meaning and are redundant because ‘to boycott’ is in fact an act of commerce.

I don’t know that your posts have actually said anything more that you support the legislation… Good on you, you have expressed your opinion… now defending that position against the questions you, IMHO, haven’t managed to do. Nothing fearful here, just fact…

1 Like

There’s nothing in our constitution that this measure conflicts with.

You’re more than welcome to speak out against israel if you wish to.

Well that’s a lie, nobody’s speech is being squelched here. Speak out all you want.

If you had an actual point to make you wouldn’t have to lie to bash ■■■■ and Israel.

Nothing in this measure makes it a crime much less a felony to criticize Israel.

Then why was a law necessary?

To limit actions harmful to a US ally, not speech.

Be careful what you’re advocating here.

China keeps popping up in my mind on several fronts.

China is not a US ally and hever has been.

Does it matter? You’re setting up precedence.

And even if they were you’re tying our hands that will evidently come back and bit us. For every action there is reaction and unintended consequences.

Only reason this bill even being consider is emotional ties to Israel. Bills based on emotions is last thing we want IMO.

But that’s just me.

I see, so we must punish US citizens for having political views different than that of the regime. :ok_hand:

Thanks for the clarification, comarade.

1 Like

I am almost in disbelief that so many people who call themselves conservatives are supportive of laws that protect the citizens of another country (and that country itself) while punishing their own countrymen.

No wonder this country is such a mess.

1 Like

The reaction of the existing anti-boycott law applied to US defense companies is that Saudi Arabia , Turkey, Jordan, UAE, Egypt, and maybe other arab countries weighed the benefits of doing business with us and the benefits of a boycott. They chose to do business with us.

So the anti- boycott did not have a negative unintended consequence.

Why would one follow everyone else? Call me what you want.

It’s called independent thinking.

Break out a dictionary and see if you can help yourself.

Nothing in this bill limits your free speech rights nor does it impose any criminal or civil penalties for voicing them.

Yes it matters. The purpose of the boycotts is to isolate Israel economically and starve them into submission and we cannot be a party to that.

The holocaust began with the exact same types of boycotts isolating the ■■■■ from the rest of society and that’s not the kind of country I want to live in.

This is all about hate for the ■■■■ and us standing up against it which I fully support.

Show us exactly how Americans are being punished under this law.

Well, if the bill becomes law, and a US citizen is found in violation of it, the government will take steps to enforce the law.

Occasionally, the ACLU gets things right:

aclu3-1500467823
aclu1-1500467719

1 Like

What you are quoting is BS. There is no punishment for political beliefs.

Try quoting it from the bill if you can find it.

Wow - thanks for the instant reply and not reading a word of what I posted.

From the Summary:

The bill prohibits any U.S. person engaged interstate or foreign commerce from supporting:

• any request by a foreign country to impose any boycott against a country that is friendly to the United States and that is not itself the object of any form of boycott pursuant to United States law or regulation, or
  • any boycott fostered or imposed by any international governmental organization against Israel or any request by any international governmental organization to impose such a boycott.

From the body of the bill and what the ACLU wrote their letter on:

Whoever knowingly violates or conspires to or attempts to violate any provision of section 8(a) or any regulation, order, or license issued thereunder shall be fined in accordance with section 206 of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act

1 Like

Don’t sweat it @TWR didn’t read the thread either as this was posted about a dozen times already by several people.

The ACLU piece was new to me though. Thanks for that.

Found the letter too:

https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-letter-senate-opposing-israel-anti-boycott-act

1 Like