BREAKING: Senators Working to Slip Israel Anti-Boycott Law Through in Lame Duck

Why aren’t there a dozen threads about this? If senators were trying to push even the smallest gun regulation, you’d be screeching for weeks about MUH CONSTITUTION. Well here’s a direct fucking attack on the Constitution and there is barely a goddamn peep. If you’re not going to put as much effort into killing this bill as any gun reform, you can stop calling yourselves “conservatives” ,“originalists” or “constitutionalists” from now on.

If you want more information, here’s the article:

http://archive.is/0s9UA

The Senate measure, which has a House companion, is part of a broad push to undermine support of BDS in both the U.S. and Europe, often conflating the boycott with anti-Semitism. According to the activist group Palestine Legal, which monitors anti-BDS legislation across the country, as of June 2018, 25 states had enacted laws punishing businesses that choose to boycott Israel. In 2017, one city in Texas even required businesses to certify that they would not boycott Israel before receiving hurricane aid.

The Israel Anti-Boycott Act, which was introduced last year by Sen. Cardin (D-Maryland) and Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, would amend the 1979 Export Administration Act to allow penalties for companies who join boycotts of Israel called for by international institutions — like the United Nations or the European Union. The new version clarifies that people cannot face jail time for participating in a boycott, but the ACLU has argued that it still leaves the door open for criminal financial penalties. Defenders of the bill say that it is strictly aimed at preventing companies from facing pressure to boycott Israel and that it is not meant to restrict an individual’s free speech.

6 Likes

Notice that the neocons call for government-imposed international sanctions on Iran, but have successfully lobbied for the banning of free speech of American citizens who call for private boycotts of Israel.

Clown World :clown_face:

I get your point but I don’t really give a shit about sanctions on Iran. What should have us taking to the streets in rage RIGHT NOW is this nonsense that private citizens and their respective businesses can’t boycott Israel.

I boycott Israel. Arrest me cucks.

This is literally an AIPAC-written law that will make it a felony for Americans to criticize Israel or support the international boycott of Israel, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and $1 million in fines. Freedom.

1 Like

Simon says…dont.support.the.bill.

Nope, I’m not playing… even if it means you kick me out of the conservative club. I DO support this bill. Those of us that have roles in the acquisition of contracts with the US federal government have been supporting such policies for … years and years. It does not stop anyone from talking bad about Israel or having similar thoughts.

So you think it’s appropriate for Americans to be thrown in prison for criticizing or boycotting Israel?

1 Like

“The bill prohibits U.S. persons from… supporting any boycott fostered or imposed by an international organization, or requesting imposition of any such boycott, against Israel.”

Oh good… at least you haven’t gone so far down the road yet that you are inclined to support thought control.

1 Like

Did they forget about the 1st Amendment? Oh wait! Of course they did!

There have long been laws governing interstate and foreign commerce. This is but one of them. Read the bill… not some wacko’s description of the bill.

I have read the bill. It was crafted by AIPAC and they have been pushing for this since BDS got traction.

The end result is that it will violate the 1st Amendment rights of American citizens and businesses. Full stop.

Great… you read the bill.
Now quote the parts of the bill that violate the first amendment. The bill is here.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1697/text

You put quotes around something. Is that the bill you are quoting?

SEC. 5. POLICY OF THE UNITED STATES RELATING TO BOYCOTT OF ISRAEL UNDER EXPORT-IMPORT BANK ACT OF 1945.

Section 2(b)(1)(B) of the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 (12 U.S.C. 635(b)(1)(B)) is amended in the sixth sentence by inserting after “child labor),” the following: “or opposing policies and actions that are politically motivated and are intended to penalize or otherwise limit commercial relations specifically with citizens or residents of Israel, entities organized under the laws of Israel, or the Government of Israel,”.

“(j) Violations Of Section 8(a).—Whoever knowingly violates or conspires to or attempts to violate any provision of section 8(a) or any regulation, order, or license issued thereunder shall be fined in accordance with section 206 of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1705).”.

(3) POLITICALLY MOTIVATED.—The term “politically motivated” means actions to impede or constrain commerce with Israel that are intended to coerce political action from or impose policy positions on Israel.

Yes…I linked the entire bill. What part of your post violates the 1st Amendment?

Did you read it? Did you also read the companion bill HR 1697?

I’ll piece it together for you: Whoever knowingly violates or conspires to or attempts to [support] opposing policies and actions that are politically motivated and are intended to penalize or otherwise limit commercial relations specifically with citizens or residents of Israel, entities organized under the laws of Israel, or the Government of Israel shall be fined in accordance with section 206 of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

They are literally trying to pass laws that punish US citizens and protect the citizens, businesses, and government of a foreign country.

I do not find the quote you purported to post. I find this

Whoever knowingly violates or conspires to or attempts to violate any provision of section 8(a) or any regulation, order, or license issued thereunder shall be fined in accordance with section 206 of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1705).”.

Read the summary of the link that you posted. Click the summary tab.

The bill prohibits any U.S. person engaged interstate or foreign commerce from supporting:

• any request by a foreign country to impose any boycott against a country that is friendly to the United States and that is not itself the object of any form of boycott pursuant to United States law or regulation, or
  • any boycott fostered or imposed by any international governmental organization against Israel or any request by any international governmental organization to impose such a boycott.

The bill amends the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 to include as a reason for the Export-Import Bank to deny credit applications for the export of goods and services between the United States and foreign countries, opposition to policies and actions that are politically motivated and are intended to penalize or otherwise limit commercial relations specifically with citizens or residents of Israel, entities organized under the laws of Israel, or the government of Israel.

You posted the broken-up body of the bill which is in legalese to show the mechanics of the language being added to existing US Code.

@Tyfoon - assembled the pieces and parts to construct the parts of the EXACT language in the link that you posted to create a coherent paragraph.

You should read the summary of your link.