A New Trump Executive Order May Make More Health Care Prices Public

Too lazy to find the actual EO that is linked in the original article?

Shoppable services make up a significant share of the healthcare market, which means that increasing transparency among these services will have a broad effect on increasing competition in the healthcare system as a whole. One study, cited by the Council of Economic Advisers in its 2019 Annual Report, examined a sample of the highest-spending categories of medical cases requiring inpatient and outpatient care. Of the categories of medical cases requiring inpatient care, 73 percent of the 100 highest-spending categories were shoppable. Among the categories of medical cases requiring outpatient care, 90 percent of the 300 highest-spending categories were shoppable. Another study demonstrated that the ability of patients to price-shop imaging services, a particularly fungible and shoppable set of healthcare services, was associated with a per-service savings of up to approximately 19 percent.

Improving transparency in healthcare will also further protect patients from harmful practices such as surprise billing, which occurs when patients receive unexpected bills at highly inflated prices from out-of-network providers they had no opportunity to select in advance. On May 9, 2019, I announced principles to guide efforts to address surprise billing. The principles outline how patients scheduling appointments to receive facility-based care should have access to pricing information related to the providers and services they may need, and the out-of-pocket costs they may incur. Having access to this type of information in advance of care can help patients avoid excessive charges.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-improving-price-quality-transparency-american-healthcare-put-patients-first/

But since you have an aversion for reading, here is a one-word summary for you: competition.

inb4 ā€œcompetition has no effect on priceā€

1 Like

Incorrect. You will be able to shop prices.

An MRI for example in one location may be $1,500.00. 20 miles away it may be $500.00.

The point is for you to be able to make an informed decision, just like you would if making a major purchase like a car.

Healthcare is patient based, but it also has to make a profit. Just like you demand for whatever work you do to put food on your table and a roof over your head. Why should healthcare be any different?

So, just an emotional, hypothetical argument not based in any form of reality. Because you know, I know and everyone else knows no one is refused at an Emergency Room and certainly no one is left to die.

2 Likes

As I said in my first post in this thread, I already have to do that. I am self-employed and do not have health insurance. I know that most people donā€™t shop around. My experience and approach is the exception, not the rule.

Also, knowing the cost of a procedure wont bring the macro cost of healthcare down any. Hospitals only get paid for about half of what they do for patients anyway.

Ideologically, we are going to disagree because I believe the American people have the right not to worry about the price of services before they go to visit the doctor. That makes me a terrible human being who wants to take money from rich people and redistribute wealth. Terrible.

Knowing the cost has no effect on pricing standards.

Its called irresponsible living. You dont check the prices of food before you order?

You really try hard to refuse to read, do you, even tho I summarize the whole EO in one word.

1 Like

I guess when a working single mother has to take her child to the emergency room for a broken bone she should stop and shop around first.

Why do I have to subsidize for your poor life choices? Where are your family members? But it does make sense thus far, seeing how you think translating to what you do in life.

Doesnt surprise me, really.

1 Like

I thought conservatives were all about the family? I guess not. I suppose you want working single mothers and their children to suffer because reasons.

But you dont have a complete one. Where is the father of your children? Again, you suffer bc of your life choices, and that is not my problem at all to subsidize you further.

I donā€™t have any children. Like you, I was loading the thread up with rhetoricals.

My point still stands. Are you arguing that single mothers and their children should be left to die if they canā€™t provide healthcare for themselves?

It actually does! You are just not seeing the bigger perspective on how it will! And yes we ideologically disagree, and on the flip side if what you believe in is your desire to change then it is up to you to convince the rest of us that what you want Changed is a better option, something your side continues to fail at by pushing the same old tried methods that has already proven to be failures!

Keep it that way until you have meaningful employment and a stable family.

You keep moving the goal post, from ā€œTrump cant articulate how this work to lower the costā€ to ā€œthink of single momsā€.

Who is being intellectually dishonest here? And if a single mom can choose a services that is lower in costs (bc prices are transparent now), wouldnt that benefit her?

None of what you said explains how this executive order lowers the costs of healthcare.

I did learn though that conservatives want single mothers and children to die without healthcare. Sad.

Donā€™t get upset because you lost an argument and Iā€™m using your posts to show how poorly educated and anti-family conservatives are on these issues.

And now you are being obtuse and conflating the the issue with emotional platitudes! That is not an argument!

ā€œI won an argument so iā€™ll call you namesā€

Cute. I guess being intellectually dishonest is peak leftist intellectualism.

1 Like

I did conjoin the two in my previous post. You are correct about that. You responded with emotional anecdotes so I did as wellā€¦while also trying to steer the conversation back to how this executive order will reduce the cost of healthcare (which it wonā€™t).

Perhaps they would if they knew the prices. Perhaps they would if they knew they could save thousands by putting in some effort.

Why do you suppose that they only get paid about half and the cost of your procedure isnā€™t posted? They are raping the self pays and the insured to cover the cost of the uninsured. Go to an ER and it is absolutely full of illegals. Someone has to pay for that. That would be ā€¦ er YOU. Not so fun to share YOUR wealth with the less fortunate is it. Yep, you can set a payment plan up for the next 20 years while someone else skates away free of charge.

We all worry about what poor health will cause us financially. However, there is no right provided by the government not to worry.

Why do you want to take from someone ā€œrichā€ to redistribute to the poor? Have you happened to notice the mass migration from states that tax too much to redistribute to the poor to other states that donā€™t?

1 Like

Ok - so can we get back to this because no one here has actually been able to articulate how this will lower healthcare costs.

@supperhey cited the executive order that was penned by insurance companies, while a nice attempt, doesnā€™t actually explain how this lowers costs.

Maybe the plan is to expose the price and people will cancel their treatments or procedures out of fear of the cost. How is that improving healthcare or health insurance?

People can shop around on eBay and Amazon for a better price for the same service, but youre denying other Americans the same privilege to know what they are paying for healthcare services.

But itā€™d be great when Amazon give you a ā€œprice rangeā€, and that somehow is better.

Citation needed. Dont pull things out of your behind, it stinks to high heaven.