173 kt meteor explosion caught on video from space

What jobs are tied to showing a picture of an exploding meteor? Give us a concrete reason why you think this is fake, not your visceral, conspiracy-based theories.

The subject of this thread has nothing to do with Mars at all.

As for Mars, it’s close enough to reach, it does have water and as such it’s an ideal place to study and develop the necessary skills and technologies we’ll one day need to expand out into our own solar system and beyond.

It isn’t a question of if, it’s a question of when we’ll again be struck by a large enough metro or comet to wipe out all life on this planet and if we don’t have a toe hold somewhere else we’ll cease to exist.

Personally I think that’s worth the effort.

1 Like

Over 90% of all meteors explode and or burn up in our atmosphere rather than making it all the way to the ground or oceans. If they didn’t, we’d look a whole lot more like Mars or the Moon than a green/blue living planet.

The more cameras we have in space focused back on the earth the more likely we are to capture these events on video.

This is why I said I don’t want to get into it. There are some people who go through life believing everything without requiring any proof of it whatsoever (like you, evidently?), and some who require tangible proof before they’ll believe it (like me?). But then of the two of us, you are one of a majority of probably 95% of the world population who do believe this stuff, so that makes me out of step, not you. But I can live with that.

As to your accusation of my being a ‘conspiracy theorist’: in context, you don’t have any proof that it did happen any more than I have that it didn’t, so I could just as easily accuse you of being a conspiracist, don’t you agree? As an atheist, I equate it to discussing religion with a ‘believer’, where it’s pointless to discuss the subject because ne’er the twain shall meet, therefore why waste time discussing it? So I’d guess that for someone to believe everything they’re told without challenge must be a genetic thing.

I suggest that you tell NASA there’s water on Mars . . . they can’t find any. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And there are other people (like you?) who go through life disbelieving everything regardless of the evidence, because they think (apparently) that there is a vast conspiracy to produce fake evidence to cover up the truth.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-confirms-evidence-that-liquid-water-flows-on-today-s-mars

https://www.space.com/ancient-water-icecaps-discovered-on-mars.html

Well there y’go - it’d be a boring ol’ life if we were all the same?

I never said nor hinted at any such thing.

roflmao2

I’m afraid you did . . . at least, implied it?

“because they think (apparently) that there is a vast conspiracy to produce fake evidence to cover up the truth.” Anyhoo, have a good day.

Do you ever watch any of the weather ‘stuff’ on TV?

Did you ever suspect that the images of e.g. hurricanes were legitimate rather than being produced by somebody armed with too much cotton-wool and a large map?

Do you believe that GPS (in most phones) might actually be a satellite-based position determining system?

If you answered yes so any of the above, especially the weather pictures, why is it so difficult for you to believe that some of this might not be made-up?

Meanwhile, thank you for the slur, goodbye.

I can’t help but notice that the source link you provide is a NASA one!! LOL Evidence-based and impartial or what?? :roll_eyes:

I think you will find that that was in this post, which was not entered my myself.

What the hell does ‘the weather’ have to do with deep space? Non-sequitur, and not deserving of an answer. Goodbye.

Actually my discussion was with Samm - if anyone rudely interrupted a conversation I was having with someone else in real life I’d tell them to mind their own business and get lost.

Well he has the video from the definitive source showing that it did in fact happen.

I’ll ask again, other than the video what evidence do you think exists to document such an event?

It’s probably best to actually learn something about the subject before pontificating further.

Things going on in our atmosphere are not happening in “deep space”.

Yes, and it’s nice that you have found your place in life … to entertain people with your extreme skepticism.

Need I remind you what you said in the post that I responded to there?

And I suppose you didn’t even bother to look at the second link which was NOT from NASA.

And I’ll ask again - drop it. After all it’s your own self-respect that’s on the line, not mine.