You needn't care about Canada, hockey or Don Cherry (now fired) to support his patriotic message

Hockey icon Don Cherry fired for immigrant comments
11/12/19
12:28 PM PT
Greg Wyshynski
ESPN
Don Cherry, an iconic Canadian hockey commentator, has been fired by Sportsnet for his on-air remarks on Saturday alleging that the country’s immigrants don’t properly honor fallen soldiers.

Cherry, 85, used his “Coach’s Corner” segment on “Hockey Night In Canada” to criticize individuals who didn’t wear poppy pins leading up to the nation’s Remembrance Day. The pins are sold by veterans groups and are worn to symbolically honor those who served.

“I live in Mississauga [Ontario]. Very few people wear the poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it. Nobody wears the poppy. … Now you go to the small cities. You people … that come here, whatever it is – you love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price for that,” Cherry said.

Don Cherry’s “Coach’s Corner” has been a staple of Canadian hockey viewing for years. Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
After immediate backlash on social media Sunday, the majority of media reaction Monday morning called for Cherry’s removal. By the afternoon, word spread that he had been fired.

“Sports brings people together. It unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right thing for him to immediately step down. During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for,” Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement on Monday. “Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada.”

Cherry would not take back what he said.

“I know what I said and I meant it,” Cherry told the Toronto Sun after he was fired. “Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honor our fallen soldiers.”

2 Likes

I heard what he said and I didn’t think it was controversial at all. He is obviously a proud Canadian and was disgusted that immigrants to his country weren’t recognizing the sacrifices that his countrymen made so that these immigrants could have a safe and peaceful life.

3 Likes

Outside of the far left enclaves here in Canada, people are absolutely furious over this. Unfortunately, you would never know this by listening to the left wing media. Even the organization that Cherry was supporting threw him under the bus.

2 Likes

Absolutely right!

As a side note, THIS should be read by every person who loves liberty.

The Naked Communist by W. Cleon Skousen

Free to read at the Internet Archive

1 Like

Did you see this?

Oh the irony, on Remembrance Day, a day honouring brave and heroic veterans, that fought for our country; Ron Maclean goes full coward, and refuses to stand up for his partner Don Cherry, the man that made his career. POS. I’d love to find an ACTUAL Canadian that thinks this firing was justified.

2 Likes

The reaction to his comments and firing opens my eyes to how far the infiltration and assault on freedom has progressed.

:weary:

2 Likes

Thank God that Cherry spoke up or else we might have continued our slumber while letting the snake slither in and eventually suffocate freedom for all.

2 Likes

Don Cherry did nothing wrong.

4 Likes

Your PM gets reelected and continues to lecture everyone else about racism but can’t remember how many times he wore blackface. Don Cherry makes a statement that “you people” (recent immigrants) should be respectful and thankful for the previous generations sacrifices and gets fired!

Canada is done. Soon America will need a northern wall to go with the southern wall.

2 Likes

So when ass wipes on ESPN run there mouth about politics, I.E. Orange man bad, that is fine but if Mr. Cherry states something at least on half the populations mind he is a racist/xenophobe and should never open his mouth ever and no one should ever pay him or be associated with him in any way because now he is an untouchable. Which is worse, having an opinion and allowing others to have a differing opinion or shooting down people for having an opinion that is not yours? Which is authoritarian? Which is morally wrong?

Is it wrong that folks in the west want control over who comes into their countries. Why dont some of these “Morally superior” humans that just love all the lefts koolaid suffer at its hands for once? If they want to help so much let them give of themselves. Stop forcing everyone else to live in the dystopia you are designing.

This is all deflection from lefty wackos who do not feel the negative impact… yet… of what they are forcing on everyone else. They will and will they cry and complain once they do. In the end it is our own faults for allowing the few to denigrate and destroy our society for likes and tweets. IF it is so great why do none of them go to these countries to live? In the U.S. at least, these goobers claimed they would leave to go to Canad if Orange man won… how many even left? Why did they not go to anyone of these places they want to import folks from? I think we all know the answer.

2 Likes

I want to see all of these media companies go bankrupt. They care so much about pandering to everyone and everything but the common citizen. The people they are pandering to don’t care about our countries, our values, and our way of life. They hate us for it and we are letting them have power over us.

1 Like

MargieLovesUSA

I have no doubt that you do.

:+1:

By the way, my FIRST impression of Canadian character came with the film of the Nazi spies escaping into North America, Canada and Raymond Massey in the train mail car about to kick the living snot out of the German trying to escape capture.

:v:

Victory

More political correctness censuring incorrect speak to the public. Ron MacLean is a coward, apologizing for Cherrys words. He doesn’t have a hair on his ass. Kudos to Don Cherry for refusing to back down to PC.At least he has a pair of BALLS.

1 Like

Cherry went on Tucker tonight, and sort of cucked by saying he should have been more inclusive in his phrasing, because people are “sensitive.” Tucker then gave a cold take by calling his censors “fascists.”

I don’t like to be critical of Tucker, I know he does a lot of good work, but yeah, calling the j-left fascists really bothers my autism. The “real fascists” are on Tucker’s and Cherry’s side.

I get why boomercons call them fascists, it’s the “you’ve become everything you oppose logic,” but it’s just retarded. It washes off them like water off a duck’s back. The j-left are controlled and influenced by the tribe, the mortal enemies of fascism. It also validates the far-left narrative that fascism was something to be lamented.

I am still stunned by all this. Don Cherry is literally an institution here in Canada.

I guess this shows us how really, really far our enemies have advanced. I suppose part of it is the demographic advancement of the generations; the millenials are in charge now, and they have very little respect for any of the symbols and institutions of the previous generations. I really don’t look forward to getting old in this society.

I know! That is what’s most baffling to me! They are killing free speech with feelings instead of facts! Holy crap! Hockey night in Canada use to be an institution now it’s become a woke joke! This is what you get when the country is allowed to be run by the CHICOMS and Trudeau winning re-election is saying something as to where Canada is headed!

Your username suggests you might agree with some or all tenets of the Fascisti. Is that a correct assumption?

The real Fascists in the USA call themselves ANTIFA (anti-Fascist) to create the illusion that they defenders of those oppressed by Fascism. In fact, they are Fascists…practicing forcible suppression of opposition by use of violence and destruction of property.

Don Cherry, Tucker Carlson and people like me are simply patriots who sincerely appreciate the sacrifices made by our military in defending our ability to live in a free nation devoid of dictatorships, social regimens and fear of violent reprisal by Fascist assholes for not supporting their misguided cause.

Being proud of one’s nation and the personnel that gave their lives to defend it has nothing to do with Fascism.

People don’t understand facism. I get it. It’s often used as a pejorative.

As a political ideology, fascism is where you go after conservatism has failed to conserve anything and civic nationalism has failed to prevent the country from turning into globalized marketplace where patriotism means nothing and your fellow countrymen don’t exist, only consumers do.

Antifa are not fascists. They are exactly what they are and have always been - violent communists.

Here are some of the basic concepts of fascism:

One common definition of the term, frequently cited by reliable sources as a standard definition, is that of historian Stanley G. Payne. He focuses on three concepts:

1. the “fascist negations”: anti-liberalism, anti-communism, and anti-conservatism;
  2. “fascist goals”: the creation of a nationalist dictatorship to regulate economic structure and to transform social relations within a modern, self-determined culture, and the expansion of the nation into an empire; and
  3. “fascist style”: a political aesthetic of romantic symbolism, mass mobilization, a positive view of violence, and promotion of masculinity, youth, and charismatic authoritarian leadership.

While those are some of the basics they don’t completely align to where I land on fascism, I am particularly fond of Sir Oswald Mosley’s interpretation and implementation. It’s a model that would fit well in most parliamentary style system like ours in the US - or in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc.

US is not a parliamentary style it’s a republic! Although would agree on the Oswell Mosley approach, but he was a product of his time and such approaches are antiquated for today’s political climate.