What Was Your First Car?

I see one for sale for $14450 in Fallbrook CA.

The red one’s look nice.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1111sr-1949-mercury-driven-james-dean-rebel-without-a-cause-displayed-california-automobile-museum/

1 Like

1977 Cougar XR7. It was an absolute piece of garbage. I bought it for $400 and put about $200 into the engine. Replaced the starter, pulled the heads off and swapped out a few things from a junkyard engine, put on a new fender and bought a radio that wasn’t an 8 track! Drove it in high school and made enough money to buy a 6 cylinder 1981 Camaro which was equally a piece of garbage but I put some work into it. If memory serves, I paid $950 for that car and fixed it up and joined the Army. I had it shipped to Germany in 1990 and sold it prior to going to Desert Storm for $3,600! The first new car I bought was a 1992 Camaro in Germany when we got back from DS. Tiel green, 305 with a 6 speed. Couldn’t afford the insurance when I came back to the states so sold it and had garbage cars for a bit, then used cars and the next new one I bought was a 2006 Corvette. That’s still my favorite, though the Charger SRT was a close second. Now I just have a Ford Truck. I bought it because I needed a truck for my rental homes. When my daughter is finished with college, I’m going to get another new Vette.

cougar

The first two pictures are from the net, the other two are mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First car was a Chevy Impala SS 1966.

Second car was a Pontiac Firebird 1972.

2 Likes

Read your story and I also bought a piece of Junk. I purchased a 1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL convertible. I took care of that car more than I did my home. Routine oil changes, waxed once a week. Hardly ever driven in the rain. The engine had to be overhauled twice. New fuel injectors, new electronic ignition, the bumpers which had liquid joints to cushion a collision all leaked, all fuel lines,power steering everything had to be replaced. I drove the car for 15 years and finally when the sub-frame broke, that was the last straw. The only thing good about the car was that I asked for a ridiculously high price and to my surprise an older lady(cougar) came with cash and drove it home! MB are an overrated piece of junk!

2 Likes

I paid $300. ; but put about $4,000 into it. I was running fine, but interior for shit. Still running after 80 years. I kept it stock except for the 12 volt conversion. Only has about 48,000 original miles on it. The frame is super heavy. Thing about the older vehicles was the little oil drips that got scattered along the frame - undercarriage from front to back. Protected the steel. I had to rebuild the Marvel carb ( updraft ).

1 Like

The Mercedes 5 cyl iron head diesel is the cat’s ass. Do a million miles.

1 Like

My first car–I think it was about in 1969–was a car with no working transmission. (It was fine in “drive.” But “reverse” did not work. So I had to be very careful just how I parked it.)

Oddly, I do not now remember the make or model.

I believe it cost $500.

1 Like

LMAO!!! It sounds like something I had done in the past!

1 Like

My first car was a 1954 Chevy 2dr sedan.My father had a body shop and gas station.I didn’t have to pay for it, but I worked there after school when not playing football .
Idid most of the work before it was painted. I spent many a Friday night after football season working the gas station with my then girlfriend with me .This was 1965 .

1 Like

That Chevy SS is worth some big bucks today! Saw one at a car show some years ago! It was a 65.

Forgotten cars! My Dad had this one! Pic from the net! 1969 Pontiac Bonneville. That thing was a tank!

1 Like