What Was Your First Car?

The 3.08 rear end made sorta piggy on the drag, but I wanted high top speed and better gas mileage. I went over 140mph on several occasions. The speedometer showed only up to 120, but checking the tach at 70 makes it easy to know when you reach 140.

I had a friend who owned a '64 GTO with Tri-Power and a 4.11 rear end. He could easily out drag me, but got about 14 mpg tops. I could cruise all day at 80mph and get 20. I got 22 at 55mph.

1 Like

Fastest I ever went was 110 in an early 70ā€™s Chrysler until I did about 167 in a NASCAR last year.

1 Like

My first muscle car was a 72 Barracuda. This car in the pic is a 73, but it was the same Color. The engine was replaced with a 427 hemi from a 71 and had planetary posse rear end, with ratchet column shift. Got the car under 12 in the quarter once the rear end was replaced. The day I sold this car I went into a deep depression and experienced withdrawal symptom for 6 months! Lol. This car was by far my favourite to have ever driven. It was just a dream in the end! Lol!

1 Like

WOW! What super pictures!

1 Like

I remember that VW also. A friend of mine had purchased a 1965 model and it was used for every thing!

I had a German friend who had the ā€œWestfaliaā€ edition with synchro drive (AWD) the same in Audi Quatros. He replaced the original 1.8 litre engine and had put in a Audi 2.4 and the thing became a beast. I was tempted to buy it from him but then I bought a Landcruiser instead.

it looked something like this.

1 Like

The wild racing stuff from this movie imprinted me at a young age

https://youtu.be/u7hZ9jKrwvo

1 Like

This was James Deanā€™s last car.

2 Likes

yepā€¦sadā€¦

Actors Malcolm McDowell and Larry Hagman had oneā€™s exactly the same, in Ojai Ca where I saw them all the time and in an underground Medical bldg. parking lot in Santa Monica where Hagman left his.

The curse of the Spyder.

https://www.qsl.net/w5www/dean.html

Old Porsches had tremendous oversteer that took a lot of time to get use to.

My brother took mine over the edge on Mulholland Dr. and ended up 100 feet down, caught in a tree hanging over a swimming pool. He had taken it without asking, so I was pissed but glad he wasnā€™t hurt.

3 Likes

Dean was actually a pretty good race car driver and won a few races. He bought this car (known as ā€œLittle Bastardā€) because it was the dominant car at the time that was winning the races he was participating in. Funny story though, is that Alec Guinness saw the car and told Dean that he was going to die in that car and warned him not to drive it, given Deanā€™s penchant for being sort of a carefree character at the time.

On September 23, 1955, while driving the car around Los Angeles, he met up with British actor Alec Guinness outside a restaurant. He showed the deeply superstitious Guinness the new Porsche.
In Guinnessā€™s unpublished diaries and letters, he wrote:

ā€˜The sports car looked sinister to me. . .[E]xhausted, hungry, feeling a little ill- tempered in spite of Deanā€™s kindness, I heard myself saying in a voice I could hardly recognise as my own: ā€˜Please never get in it. . . if you get in that car you will be found dead in it by this time next week.'ā€

Dean laughed.

Sadly Guinnessā€™s warning seemed to be a foreboding for Dean that turned out to be true. Spooky. Also anywhere the car went after the infamous crash, there were stories of various coincidental accidents that would happen to people that were either any where near the car or used any parts from it until the car disappeared altogether during transport in 1960 on its way back to LA!
600full-alec-guinness

sss

ep5RI

The other car he crashed into

1 Like

My brother was totally into racing on Mulholland. His close friend was Pete Miles. The Miles lived near us at the time. My father took us to Riverside raceway all the time.

My father was a speed demon too. He would play banjo and sing Wabash Cannonball and tell about racing the Wabash Cannonball in Indiana and Tennesseeā€¦
https://youtu.be/i435ovKX9aE

1 Like

George Barris bought the wreck.

With all of 109 hp. They just felt insane to drive, so tense and high strung.

A similar carā€¦I wanted one of these so bad. Still want one, but silly. the 904

It was one of those stories I was always fascinated with. I first read about it in a paperback about Hauntings, but was never sure if it was true until the age of the internet came along and apparently confirmed to me that they are. Pretty creepy!

1 Like

Yes it is very bizarre. James Dean had very drastic karma. An extreme personality.

I suspect he was abused when young by a particular, famous American actor, but canā€™t prove it.

I donā€™t know but its possible. He was a talent and a very well read person from what I have learned about him. ā€œGiant,ā€ and ā€œEast of Edenā€ were incredible works he did. He only made 3 films yet he reached iconic status right up there with Elvis and that is pretty remarkable with all things considered.

In that same book was also the story of the Winchester house that was built in San Jose California. It had these pictures in it too.

1 Like

Besides the car curse, Look at the curse of Rebel Without a Cause:

Imdb:

All three lead actorsā€“James Dean, Sal Mineoā€“and Natalie Wood, died prematurely under tragic circumstances; Dean died in an automobile accident in September 1955, Mineo was stabbed to death on February 12, 1976, and Wood drowned in the late autumn of 1981. In addition, Edward Platt died by suicide in 1974 and Dennis Hopper fell ill suddenly in the fall of 2009 and died five months later.

1 Like

wondering about the AlecGuiness connectionā€¦/found this in Wikipediaā€¦

In his biography, Alec Guinness: The Unknown , Garry Oā€™Connor reports that Guinness was arrested and fined 10 guineas (Ā£10.50) for a homosexual act in a public lavatory in Liverpool in 1946. Guinness is said to have avoided publicity by giving his name to police and court as ā€œHerbert Pocketā€, the name of the character he played in Great Expectations . However, no record of any arrest has ever been found.

Your last couple posts and without being specific is certainly suggestive that there is a pattern? Donā€™t ya think?

Yes ā€¦ When you knew a famous predator/pedo who got away scott free, and suspect more victims you have to have proof.

My most fun car is the 39 Chrysler Royal. Nothing special, but so much fun to drive. Flat head Chrysler Marine 6. Do a valve job & be back on the road in a day. One of the elegant vehicles from the 30s. You can remove the Hoover heater in 10 minutes. Heater has a bypass valve, so you can remove the heater & still drive. All I did was switch it from 6 volt to 12 volt. I relocated the battery from under the seat. Has knee action aircraft shocks. Can be rebuilt or topped off ( what a concept ). No radio, since itā€™s such a big car, thereā€™s room for live entertainment. Mileage is not bad; about 18 - 20. Three speed on the column. 2nd gear has a cable, not rod linkage.

1 Like