What Happens When Trump Loses?

Just as a thought experiment…lets assume Trump loses in 2020 by an incontestable margin. What happens during the transition? The Trump administration is one of the most corrupt in the nations history. Some of his cabinet members are just as corrupt or have committed crimes in their zeal to deregulate, self enrich, and destroy institutions. That would generally leave some sort of paper trail. Do you think they will do whatever they can to destroy evidence and construct barriers to the next administration finding “where the bodies are buried”, or will they push through more horrible things during the transition since they are no longer worried about being accountable to voters (if they ever were)? I worry about those types of things happening.

5 Likes

Your premise is flawed, so speculation from that would be futile.

Do you want to try again?

1 Like

I might be more concerned that they have already accumulated enough inside dirt on Democratic leadership to ensure that no one will lift a finger against them. (It would certainly explain quite a lot, although I hope that this is just fevered X-files kind of thinking.).

1 Like

Because you say so, right?

3 Likes

And what would that explain?

1 Like

Apparent reluctance, and Trump’s apparent sense of invulnerability. (Of course, his apparent madness might also explain it.).

1 Like

An excess of conspiracy-think. There are reasons to be deliberate and cautious about investigations and prosecutions that can be viewed as political. The first is that it risks splitting the country over something that may not succeed, which would leave behind bitterness and suspicion, of which we already have a gracious plenty. The second is that when the targets of investigation are politicians in power, the obstacles that can be thrown up can be serious, so one doesn’t initiate until information is compelling and nailed down.

When attempting to attack a tyrant, it is important to not miss.

3 Likes

But it also important to take the shot. (There is no magic wand that Pelosi can wave to make everything right, but too often our Democratic motto seems to be “keep the powder dry, forever.”) I don’t particularly care if there is never an impeachment vote, since it will not get taken up in the senate. I also understand the reluctance to start anything significant during summer, especially with their sacred break (which is thankfully just over). We shall see if the delay is a matter of timing, or possibly something else. My hope is that they are planning it for maximum effect during the elections.

1 Like

The main timing factor is acquiring testimony, which depends on courts confirming subpoenas.

2 Likes

If we expect testimony from anyone in Trump’s circle within the remaining year and a half or so, I think we will be disappointed. They will drag it out as long as possible, and then just a little bit more. I think the slow accumulation of Democrats coming to the impeachment hearings side is good, but it has been very subdued. (It is, of course, hard to get much attention when the president keeps setting fires everywhere.)

If, over the coming weeks, we hear that we cannot proceed in the heated context of an election, my partly jesting concern will take on a very different tone. It will be interesting to see how the actual budget negotiations go. (I expect a CR in the short term, since the Senate apparently cannot bring itself to proceed with votes on the appropriation bills already approved in the House.) I was a bit unhappy at what seems like a complete capitulation we made (with hardly a whimper) on agreeing not to use phrasing in bills to ensure that the money allocated was spent on what it was allocated for, that is to say, not on the wall.

1 Like

Trump fundraises for a recount. When the time to recount is past (no money actually spent on recounting), he uses the money and Twitter to direct the GOP to keep Trump out of jail.

When there is no possible question that Trump is not serving a second term, Trump pardons all GOP office holders of any federal crimes because “the Democrats are planning to put all members of the GOP in jail”. Trump pardons Trump at the same time “because its only fair”.

On January 19, 2021, Trump leaves on a state visit to Russia.

3 Likes

Remember all those stories about the Clinton administration trashing the White House as they left?

That will happen for real….

2 Likes

Nothing to worry about! He won’t come close to loosing!!!

2 Likes

The Obama administration had prepared all kinds of documentation on the state of the government and where things stood, what programs were doing what…the Trump administration people hardly bothered to talk to the Obama people. And, they won’t bother to prepare anything for the next administration, they will just walk out the door on Jan 19 and that will be it. I suspect a lot of information will disappear, or at least will attempt to disappear…IT people take the records acts seriously so they may not get away with burning anything.

We will have a government that has no chance to ease into things, they will have to take over on day 1 with a ton of empty positions, and a lot of broken sections that need people and leadership. If the Republicans retain the Senate, they will block every single appointment to further the chaos. Thinking about this, I think we want Warren to take over…she’ll have plans for what to do, and already have executive orders written to sign, and I would trust her to get great people to fill acting positions if necessary. I’m not sure another Democrat running could handle things if that was that far off the hook.

1 Like

SO you personally have analyzed EVERY presidency since Geo Washington and have determined 45 is the most corrupt? B.S.

4 Likes

I stopped at “The Trump administration is one of the most corrupt in the nations history”…

Did you forget about Obama and his using the FBI to spy on a political campaign? The Fast & Furious crap? IRS Targeting scandal? Hillary’s email saga and the lack of justice?

Come on, you have to be a complete moron to believe Trump is one of the most corrupt Presidents. My God, the damn FBI investigated him for almost THREE YEARS and found… NOTHING. Trump released hundreds of thousands of documents and didn’t stand in the way of prosecutions (for shit not even remotely related to “Russia Collusion”)

If Trump loses, they will transfer power, just like always happens but I hope to HELL that his administration digs up all the dirt on the previous administration and makes it public before he leaves. I want to see bastards in PRISON over the crap they’ve pulled. FISA warrant with false information to a judge. Bias in the Clinton email scandal. . . the list goes on and on.

5 Likes

There IS a magic wand Pelosi can wave to make a LOT right… RETIRE. . .

1 Like

Lieawatha isn’t going to win, nor would she have a single answer if she did.

I find it hilarious to watch people wringing their hands about deleted information, understanding those were the same people that couldn’t be bothered with 30,000 emails, bleach bit, hammers to cell phones and a flagrant disregard for the public records act by Clinton.

1 Like

And you know this how? What sources are you citing to confirm this? Were you there yourself to confirm this? I guessing that is a big fat no!

You know Madison, when you don’t have an argument and are too chicken shit to defend your ideas you can simply elect to play the banjo for the people. Maybe you can articulate your fantasies in songs and hymns? What do you say? How about playing us a song there scotchy?