US Drinking Water is a Toxic Soup of Forever Chemicals

Of course not. The Trump administration is deregulating, not improving regulations…:roll_eyes:

There is no regulation or lack thereof that prevents them from finding a way to remove contamination.

So @John, if you’re a Trump supporter, why? He’s damaging the environment.

There’s no evidence to suggest those rollbacks have caused any damage to the environment.

That’s not conducive to good health, shrug…

I actually do it to separate paragraphs, etc. that are not directly related; but no problem stopping.

Concerning the OP, imagine the ground water under Chernobyl. Man has used the Earth as a dumping ground since day one; never considering consequences. Only so much the planet can digest; and then, when a nightmare surfaces, the blame game begins.

What I said; after my father came home from Burma, he contacted government agencies and suggested we keep the war effort recycling program. Logistics were already in place. But what does a cabinetmaker from PA know. Instead our all knowing elected officials decided it was better to go into greed & waste mode. See, it was much cheaper to just run amok. They never considered diminishing returns. The amount of plastic waste that now infects the planet is staggering; but if we had begun to deal with it in it’s infancy, today it would have been a different story. You can see where I’m at. In Germany, after the war, when rebuilding began, used bricks were cleaned, recycled, and used again. Had to have been cheaper than firing new bricks. I fact, I remember there being a demand for used bricks when I helped a brick layer when I was young. The old bricks had a unique surface texture that stood out in new construction. The demand for old used bricks became so great, Glen-Gery began manufacturing new bricks that looked like old bricks.

That would have been awesome…:+1:

Unfortunately, the horse has long left the barn, and is in the next county; possibly the next state. So now it’s time to clean up all that plastic; and no doubt an idea from some too little too late, save the planet fools. I’m sure ground can be gained, but most could have been avoided if my father was taken seriously.

Well, it’s never wrong to do the right thing, and, this can’t be completely laid at the feet of the government, individual responsibility is a big factor.

I’d also point out that when municipalities attempt to provide, and even mandate recycling at the curb, the conservative liberation types get all pissy because governments telling you to do something.

Only if men were angels, always did the right thing, always behaved in a responsible manner, exercised self discipline and restraint, then imagine the areas that government could shrink.

Believe it or not there’s really not an issue with the water under Cherynobl.

Water itself doesn’t become radioactive, just some of the solids that are in it. Filter out all of the radio active solids and the water will be fine.

Well, that’s very comforting. Nothing like doing maintenance on a radioactive filter every day. That alone will require sophisticated disposal. I’m beginning to think, we just don’t deserve this planet. What I said many times; too much greed & too little respect. For too many, enough is just never enough. Old adage: Enough is a feast; but that just doesn’t hold true for many people.

Not really, just a geiger counter to see if there’s any dangerous levels of radiation and perhaps a radiation badge next to the filters to let you know if it ever gets to a point that one might be reaching a lifetime total safe exposure level.

There are also centrifugal filter systems that would simply separate out the suspended solids and flush them back into the ground rendering them harmless.

There are large ships that could be rigged with skimmers where the bow opens and the plastic can be retrieved.

Then all you need to do is separate the water and plastic, bail the plastics and take them to a recycling point.

You can recover a hell of a lot of petroleum from plastics and rubber.

As long as radioactive particles exist, they are harmful. I don’t mean normal background radiation that’s always been here. You know what I mean. Anyway, who the fuck wants to live like that? What about monitored radioactive waste sites; do you really think they are safe forever? Sooner or later, well. What happens when a breach is detected? When that happens, I’m sure the public will be the very last to know.

As long as the particles are filtered out the water itself isn’t radioactive so it is safe.

Yes you definitely need constant monitoring of the systems to ensure the filtration systems are operating properly and no, nobody wants to live like that but once that contamination is in the ground we have to.

Chernobyl is a great example of why we should never trust the Russians with anything dangerous.

I believe there are ( were ) other Russian nuclear facilities that are identical to Chernobyl in design; no containment building.

I don’t think that’s quite right. If I remember right this was an experimental “Breeder Reactor” which is part of the whole problem.

Remember just a few months back they had an experimental reactor explode as well. Fortunately it was a small one being designed for space travel. We never did quite get the straight story on that one.

Had to do some digging, it’s a very old style “Graphite Reactor” so I was remembering it wrong. It doesn’t have a containment vessel all all like later reactors do where the entire thing is sealed in a giant stainless steel ball to help contain it in an emergency.