US Customs just seized a ship owned by JPMorgan after authorities found $1 billion worth of drugs on it

• Federal prosecutors in Philadelphia have seized a container ship operated by the Mediterranean Shipping Co. and owned by JPMorgan Asset Management.
  • That came weeks after authorities found more than $1 billion worth of cocaine on the vessel in what was one of the largest drug busts in American history.
  • At least a half a dozen crew members have been arrested, according to Homeland Security Investigations, and the investigation is ongoing.

There is already a thread created for this story!

Ok - where? I tried searching first and nothing came up.

1 Like

Way back ( somewhere ) I read an article concerning a botonist who developed or was working on a biological that would wipe out coca plants. I think a fungus or a blight. Medicinal cocaine has value, so wiping out the species is not a smart idea. If just a small amount of this fungus ( or whatever ) became free of the lab, it would, no doubt, slowy eradicate the species. Plants do have a way of surviving, but, a coca blight would be a major setback. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dr. David C. Sands holds out a clear plastic petri dish filled with a white fuzzy fungus growing across the bottom. This substance, he believes, is the key to ending much of the world’s production of illicit drugs.

Members of Congress also believe that Dr. Sands and other researchers may be on to a powerful and environmentally safe method of killing not only coca plants, but also marijuana and poppy plants. The members have asked the government of Colombia to test a strain of Fusarium oxysporum over the next two years. If it proves effective, the disease will be sprayed on vast fields of coca plants there, and experts say it could wipe out much of the coca crop within a year.

1 Like