Turns out, the IRS must return refunds during the shutdown

https://centurylink.net/news/read/article/the_associated_press-apnewsbreak_irs_recalling_46000_workers_to_handle-ap/category/news

Not only that, but more evidence that the Obama administration was using their offices lawlessly, the IRS had said they had no legal right to withhold refunds during the Obama shutdowns. This was back in 2011. Now, unlike then, the Trump admin actually agrees with IRS counsel and has ordered the IRS to issue refunds.

The best part is there are 46,052 government leeches who are being forced to go back to work unpaid to do this. The IRS has been working “perfectly fine” with about 10,000 workers rather than the customary 80,265 that are normally employed. Makes one wonder why so many employees are normally needed. If we were smart, we’d just abolish the IRS altogether and eliminate the need to even file tax returns by simplifying the tax code, but that’s a topic for another thread.

6 Likes

The Obama administration intentionally made the shutdown as painful as possible on the American people in order to blame republicans and buy votes and the MSM was his enabler simply regurgitating the Administration’s talking points all through the shutdown.

5 Likes

Of course, and the Democrats were perfectly fine with the IRS holding these refunds hostage this time around as long as they weren’t getting their way. Funny how that works.

1 Like

I’m not sure how good that is. That’s 46,000 pissed off IRS employees who will be going through our tax returns… .

Better pissed off than pissed on. I have zero sympathy for them. They chose their line of work and this is one of the consequences of that choice.

This current shutdown is the longest in history… why are we talking about Obunmer instead of Trump?

Because you obviously missed it the first time.

1 Like

In case you missed this as well:

About time someone reminded these clowns they work for US.

I don’t either, I do wonder though if it’s going to result in a whole lot of retaliatory audits.

Because history didn’t betin in 2016.

3 Likes

Huh?

Why are we talking about Obama? Right now is the longest shutdown in history. People are struggling now. I don’t give a crap about Obummers shutdown

Which of the words used are giving you such difficulty, perhaps we can help?

Would you like working without pay? I hate the IRS as much as the next person, but these are livelihoods we are talking about.

You brought up Obama, you tell me?

And they will all get paid.

No I didn’t.

Not only that, but more evidence that the Obama administration was using their offices lawlessly, the IRS had said they had no legal right to withhold refunds during the Obama shutdowns. This was back in 2011. Now, unlike then, the Trump admin actually agrees with IRS counsel and has ordered the IRS to issue refunds… .

Sure you do. Because everyone I know who hates the IRS (just like you claim to) is worried sick about whether or not they’re getting paid. :roll_eyes:

They will be paid when the shutdown is over so, they should be working.

Or, if they don’t show up for work, they’ve just used their vacation days.

Of course. This was coming from their union.

A union’s got to do something to try and show it is useful.

I’m happy to see the judge tell them to get their asses back to work especially since they know and we know they are not working for free. They will be paid.

1 Like