Trump orders strike on Iran, then pulls back

I think Trump backing off was the right move. To me this seems like it was bait. We are claiming that the drone was in international airspace. The Iranians are claiming that it was in their air space. That’s not a reason to go to war with a country.

3 Likes

Blank missiles? I’m pretty sure the Syrians and Russians would tell you they were very real and very effective.

It’s more than ample reason considering the four attacks on ships in international waters as well.

Trump pulling back on this shows a great deal of restraint.

If they continue escalating the attacks I would not count on him being so measured after the next one.

Oh I agree Joe, I dont think bombing and killing innocent Iranian lives was the right move, but I dont think additional sanctions is the right move because sanctions hurts the citizens and the gives the government a reason to blame the problems plaguing their society to the Americans

I think he should have strategically bombed something to show them hey we mean business now.

The intended target was the ADA batteries and radar station that was responsible for shooting down our drone. Those people are not “innocents”.

Every innocent in Iran however will pay the price for that action due to the increasing of sanctions.

How many american lives were lost ??

and I mentioned that already.

It’s irrelevant that no American lives were lost. That is the AA station that shot down our drone so they are certainly not innocent.

This whole thing just seems fishy to me. I don’t buy into a whole lot of the conspiracies about this but at the same time I am suspicious of what the government is telling us especially after the baloney they served up about WMDs in Iraq. If we go to war it better be over more than some alleged attack on a JAPANESE ship and the shooting down of a drone.

3 Likes

Iran has been killing Americans since 79, that’s really all the justification we need.

The fact they were directly responsible for 2/3 of our casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan justifies any response.

I guess I need to see proof of that.

In the war on terror and the subsequent war against ISIS it’s the salafis that are problem. The salafis also hate the Iranians.

The concept of the global salafi jihad has roots in Saudi Arabia and Egypt, not in Iran.

1 Like

Iran provided the IED’s and trained the Jihadis in both Iraq and Afghanistan on how to make/build and employ them.

2/3 of our casualties in both theaters were due to those IED’s.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

Ok - let me take a look at this stuff.

I’m wondering if it’s an enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing. The Sunnis and the Shias are generally opposed to one another in all aspects. The hardcore salafi wahhabists are Sunni.

Anyway, I’ll read what you posted and see where I land.

I’m not a fan of either sect because both produce Jihadists.

Sure its relevant, supposition here.

If Im walking by and the guy across the street shot out my garage and no one is hurt, Im not going to blow up his house with his wife and kids in there, Im gonna figure out what I can respond back with, maybe blow up his car etc.

If he blew up my house and people died, then Im going blow up his house, car, garage you name it

[

This Old U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine Could Nuke 24 Cities (In One …

https://nationalinterest.org/.../old-us-navy-nuclear-submarine-could-nuke-24-cities-on
](https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/old-us-navy-nuclear-submarine-could-nuke-24-cities-one-shot-57332) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OK Iran, your move. No matter how gentle a dog may be, if you kick him enough, he will end up biting you.

1 Like

If that was true, my guess is John Kerry still has some deep state contacts in DoD and was advising Iran.

1 Like

Irrelevant, they used deadly force against the US.

Anyway you measure it, this was an act of war and a lethal response is fully justified.

deadly force shooting down an unmanned drone?

you and I have different views to deadly force.

If they shot down one of our planes with a pilot in it and he or she dies, then I say blow the shit out where they launched it from and if some dies , so be it

but if someone comes up and bitch slaps me, Im going to bitch slap them back, Im not going send forces to their house and blow the shit out their house and kill whoever.

I would prefer Trump do something like bomb something that will get their attention, you can negotiate with backwards thinking people, they only understand force, but Im not about to kill a bunch of people when no lives were lost

If you cant see that then there is nothing to discuss further.

Killing to make a point isnt the answer, unless one of our people is killed then all rules are tossed

They had no idea of knowing it was an unmanned drone when they shot at it.

We’re not talking about a civilian self defense incident here, we’re talking about an intentional act of war.

Any intentional act of war justifies a lethal response under international law.

I’m not arguing that he should have gone ahead with the strike but if he had, by any reasonable understanding of law and military operations he’d have been fully justified in doing so.

It was a RQ 4A global hawk drone , everyone knows its unmanned.
The concerning part is that Iran has the capability to shoot down a plane flying at that length

And now its a case of he said he said, the Iranians claim the drone was violating their airspace and we said we were in international waters