Think twice before calling cops on a "person of color"

Now, see what those statistics say per neighborhood. For instance, do you think my black neighbor gets stopped and searched? He wears a suit and tie, drives a BMW and is a lawyer. If it was about race, he too would be stopped and searched. The truth is that it’s not about race, it’s about behavior.

That wasn’t my question

Profiling of any type works, as long as it is rationally and factually based. Profiling is a cornerstone of crime prevention (including terrorism) and it is instrumental in solving murders, particularly serial murders, where there is no obvious suspect.

Officially no. Unofficially yes. At one point my husband had a top end very sporty BMW. He got stopped a number of times, mostly in London, not committing any driving offence. When the police saw him (he’s white, dresses well), they were ever so apologetic and said he wasn’t what they expected. The police can stop whoever they don’t like the look of. He got rid of the pig magnet and got something less flashy, lol.

Not in the US. In order for stop to be lawful they must be able to cite a violation being observed or reasonable, articulable suspicion of a crime.

Making it official too.

https://west-midlands.police.uk/news/section-60-powers-be-used-coventry

The reason knife crime escalated was because of our so competent (not) PM when she was Home Secretary. She cut down on stop and search because she deemed it racist and un-pc. I guess a leftie like her would rather see young people get stabbed to death. Luckily our present Home Secretary Sajid Javid, who incidentally is an ex-Muslim, takes a much harder line and doesn’t mess about.

You can’t eradicate knife crimes in prison, to think you can do so outside of it is pretty funny. But I guess the people in England are thinking, if they treat everyone like prisoners, maybe they can pull it off. I would prefer to handle my own defense than have America turned into a defacto prison. To keep us “safe”.

2 Likes

Knives don’t cause murder any more than guns do. The weapon is the mind of the attacker, those are just implements or tools of convenience.

2 Likes

No, we have to take away all the knives, for safeties sake. Oh and shoe laces and belts, to stop suicides.

1 Like

Good for you. I presented to you facts in response to your question. I did not ask for your opinion. Though so disrespectful and so predictable. Yawn.

Says more about you if the only way you can justify yourself is to shit on others.

No offense but the police HERE cannot stop whoever they don’t like the look of by law. They need RAS (reasonable articulable suspicion) of a crime committed or about to be committed in order to stop you. Anything else is a violation of your rights here and they can quickly find themselves as the target of complaints and law suits. The system will eventually weed them out if they’re pulling over people based on race and no suspicion of a crime. London will do what London does but I’ll NEVER sign up for random stops and searches to fight crimes because I don’t want the police with too much power. I don’t like fishing trips and I despise them acting like they own me.

I do believe your story though. From the time I’ve spent in the UK, It’s my opinion that people are far more racist there than in the US in general. More than anything, it’s probably lack of exposure that drives it. They certainly treated our black employees different than the white ones. I’ve had several loud conversations with Brits about the treatment of one employee in particular and their response was that he was stupid and they had no patience for that. In asking why, it was “Well, he can’t even pronounce ask, referring to it as axe” as proof he was stupid. The problem is the guy, though plagued by slang, was the best technician we had. Flat out, they used it as an excuse but if they were looking at him as a normal human being, they would have been fine with the guy. They were never bothered by the slang from the Scotsmen or Louisiana boys. Hell, at least you could UNDERSTAND Herb, even though he sounded like he came straight from the hood. LOL The Scots had me constantly going “Ok bud, you’re going to have to slow down and speak ENGLISH” :smiley:

NO. The reason for crime is NOT that the police aren’t treating them like subjects. You can fix crime through harder sentencing laws and better conviction rates. The reason stop and frisk is effective is that the police KNOW they have criminals on the street that are career criminals. Rather than let those punks out of prison after 6 months for attempted murder, why not keep them behind bars? I hate this defeatist nonsense that we have to allow the police to treat us all like criminals to stop crime. It’s not a leftist position that government should be extremely limited in its power.

There simply is too little in the way of deterrent for punishment, too much pandering by politicians who live in a bubble far removed from what it is like to walk the streets unprotected. Likewise, there is too little positive influence to act as a deterrent in the early years.

It wasn’t too terribly long ago that when a kid acted up you could grab him by the collar, march him to his parent’s house and have the parent, usually the father, thank the guy who brought the bad behavior to the attention of the parent. The hell to pay for acting up actually taught character, morals and values.

Today, we have too much “how DARE you touch my precious little child”! Kids not disciplined at all for mouthing off to adults, teachers or anyone in a position of authority.

It is no small wonder that those have not been taught respect for others or authority… have no respect for others or authority.

1 Like

What offence? You agreed with me. I said “officially no.” In reality the “reason” can be very subjective, like a dirty number plate. If they want to pull you over, trust me they will find a “reason.”

Section 60 gives the police authority to stop and search without reason.

True. If our sentencing is slack, then it has always been slack. But my point was there is an inverse correlation between the level of stop and searches and the amount of crime committed. That is not just me saying that. The figures come from the Police themselves and is backed by the Home Secretary.

I was neither disrespectful or shit on anyone. And if you don’t want to hear other people’s opinions, maybe discussion forums aren’t your thing.

1 Like

All I ask for is for a little respect and understanding of other countries and cultures where things are done differently. We’re not all American here.

So I am supposed to what? Agree with everything the UK does? Sorry, not going to happen. I don’t agree with everything my own country does.

1 Like

Of course not. There are ways of being respectful. It comes naturally to most decent people.

Again, I wasn’t disrespectful anywhere but in your mind, you apparently equate not agreeing with you as a lack of respect.

In your dreams :joy: