The Rabbit Hole

As it turns out the event has been severely blown out of proportion and the damage to the economy will eclipse the virus impact.

1 Like

I think President Trump is the best thing to happen to America in a long time. After one or two ā€˜maleā€™ comments back in 2015 the SO thinks he is awful and will not even debate the subject (she is generally intransigent). I remind her (and some others) that Trump is the first President that I know of who actually delivered on his election promises ā€¦ for all the reasons you list, and I mean no disrespect to people such as Reagan or Carter who may also have delivered.

Early in the year I bought a Trump 2020 mug for my sonā€™s birthday. He burst out laughing, but the smile was genuine. I think of it as pay-back for my last-yearā€™s birthday present ā€¦ a large mug bearing the emblem ā€œGrumpyā€™s Brewā€.

ā€¦ all around the world, it seems.

1 Like

Though I have gained a bit (20 poundsā€¦went from 240 to 260) since the stay at home regimen began, my blood glucose varies between 85 and 102 after a 10 hour fast. I check it daily, along with my blood pressure and SpO2. Occasionally I check my temperature.

My 4 egg breakfast is a rarity these days. Normally I have either Whole Grain Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal or Cheerios, sometimes with a banana, sometimes with strawberries, on occasion with maple surple, but never with granulated sugar.

My A1C Dr. Feelgoodā€™s office visit the other day was 5.8 (I think)ā€¦or was it 5.6ā€¦I forget what I read on the test report, but Iā€™m not about to worry about it right now.

I think my recent weight gain is attributable to at least two factors:

• My Command Center is surrounded by snack materials that are within reach of my 4 foot hand-extender.

• My 75" HDTV screen is about 4 feet from my face, off to the rightā€¦and every time a food commercial comes on, I start salivating. When I watch back-to-back-to-back episodes of Diners, DriveIns and Dives on the Food Channel, my consumption is damn near continuous.

If is wasnā€™t for this home incarceration and the rioting and looting news that runs into the wee hours of the morning (to make sure the East Coast gets to watch the West Coast go up in flames), I could be outside riding my tractor or actually getting dressed and going somewhere to do some impulse shopping for things I may want but donā€™t needā€¦like more food.

My sleep cycle is off now by about 6 hours. Instead of turning off the tele at midnight when Fox News normally starts repeating the 9PM-midnight shows, Iā€™m staying up 'til 6AM watch police cars being toasted in Seattle or Portland because Fox wants to show us every fire, every broken window and every looted store from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Itā€™ll probably take me several months to get back to a reasonable sleep schedule that actually corresponds more closely with sunset and sunrise.

ā€¦and itā€™ll take 6 months to lose the 20 lbs Iā€™ve put on.

At least my pants and shoes still fit.

Speaking of schooling the children, there was a story of Fox this morning about zero tolerance being carried to a ridiculous extreme.

It seems a middle school class was using virtual schooling by having each of the classmates log in by skype and watch each otherā€™s faces (along with the remote teacherā€™s face) as they discussed the lessons of the day.

A boy received a surprise visit by the police who searched his bedroom because the nitwit teacher reported seeing the image of a BB gun hanging on his bedroom wall. The police found nothing illegal in his bedroom or hanging on the neatly arranged wall (which included the Daisy BB gun, a compound bow and some arrows, a dart board, and several books), but the teacher had conflated his inadvertent display of the BB gun in a virtual classroom setting to BRINGING A FIREARM TO SCHOOL!

What the fuck is happening to the children of the world with idiotic ā€œeducatorsā€ in control of their learning efforts?

1 Like

ā€¦as will the trauma visited on children and insecure adults.

1 Like

I think you should cut out the sugary cereals.

These are the things that spike insulin:

1. Eating frequently
  2. Sugar and refined carbs
  3. All carbs but wholegrain to a lesser extent. Depends who you are. I eat wholegrain carbs.
  4. Fat or carbs with sugar (think doughnuts)
  5. Protein with sugar (think charred meat - caramelisation turns the protein into sugar)

4 and 5 produce AGE, that is advanced glycation end products. Ageing is what they do. They destroy the quality of the telomeres in the DNA, so during cell replication, things could go awry and you get diseases such as cancer. Also you will look pretty shit.

There are two food groups which lower insulin.

1. Fat
  2. Fibre

The calorie in / calorie out paradym is totally flawed. How much fat you store is entirely dependent on how much insulin is in your system.

High intensity exercise also suppresses insulin and increases the fat burning hormones. You wonā€™t get any of the fat burning hormones in the presence of insulin.

3 Likes

The oatmeal is whole grain and has zero sugars.
The Cream of Wheat is whole grain and has 1g sugars (2% DV)
The Cheerios are whole grain and have 2g sugars (4% DV)

I think I am not to worry about becoming sweet.

1. Forgive me for I have sinned.
  2. I donā€™t get enough sugar. Gimme some schuga, baby!
  3. All carbs and no calories makes Jack just as fat as all calories and no carbs. The Atkins low carb diet sucks. So does the one that uses large helpings of steak fat.
  4. C3 above
  5. Your body turns carbs into calories also.

My age increases daily but Iā€™m still a smooth skinned spring rooster. Iā€™m relatively wrinkle free because I keep the skin stretched pretty tight. Iā€™ll be in good shape as long as round is a shape.

I try to avoid the fat and get plenty of fiber. (Is that a British spelling you usedā€¦like a mutation of theatre ?)

With my COPD, Emphysema, Congestive heart failure, and aversion to heavy breathing, high intensity exercise is not on my to do list. I get short winded walking to the refrigerator. :grin:

I get my exercise acting as pallbearer for my friends who exercise!

1 Like

Not just the economy - in UK we recently heard that the NHS waiting time for elective surgery is now something like 2 years bc CV.

1 Like

Why were we discussing Curcumin and other supplements for health before? What does it matter?! I hope you are joking. If not I hope you last the year.

Cheerios is processed rubbish. As is probably the others you mention. Your version of the same foods contain a lot more ingredients than ours, and most of them come out of a lab.

Do you know that your high fructose corn syrup has been quietly renamed to ā€œnatural sweetener?ā€ Though I think that is probably the least of your worries.

Last night I watched the Quebec 2019 Ironman. (3.9km swim, 180km bike and full marathon). There was a 75 year old who completed it. Full respect. I couldnā€™t do that.

This year so far I have spent 76 hours on Zwift, most of which since the lockdown and at high intensity (races). That is also 40,000 calories (which is a lot more for me than some fat bugger). Every Sunday I get up early to run with Tim Don (Ironman WR holder and world champion) and a group. They do a full distance of 26k, at a pretty brutal pace, with intervals thrown in as well after 10k. I last just over half of that 26k at their speeds. I try to do better every week.

I sometimes race having not eaten anything for 24 hours. Itā€™s a full gas effort. Not having eaten makes no difference to performance. That is to test metabolic flexibility. :wink:

Because I do most of my exercise indoors, I donā€™t get the weathering effects on my face. So I donā€™t have to choose between face or body. :wink:

Itā€™s all in the mind. For me itā€™s not about motivation because itā€™s fun and I look forward to a session which is most days. I might take one or two days off a week because I need to be fresh for something, lol. I have ā€œmetā€ some like minded people and itā€™s just a way of life. I have done sport all my life and I canā€™t see that changing. There are many in their 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s giving as good as they get. I see them plotting to take on the ā€œkids.ā€ Fancy getting beaten by your granddad. :joy:

2 Likes

Anyone seen the UK numbers this morning?
GDP -20%
Manufacturing -24%

That should save the NHS

Yep Iā€™m hopeful it wonā€™t damage my GA long though :crossed_fingers:

That is just month-on-month for April
I canā€™t see May being any better

ā€¦ if they compare May to April it might look deceptively Ok :rofl:

All the majors will likely take a hit on GDP.

Yep just need to find the prettiest nag in the glue factory.

Me too, Iā€™m short EG

If you ask a question and immediately imply by way of a rhetorical follow up question that the answer to the opening question does not matter, why do you ask either question?

I may have embellished the truth here and there but any deviations from the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth will affect neither my expected lifespan nor my cause of death.

I am hoping to be shot in the upturned ass by a jealous husband! ā€¦and that is the truth! :innocent:

Way to go ā€¦

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Screenshot_11

You take care of yourself :kissing_heart:

1 Like

ā€¦ the longer a mask is worn the more the blood is desaturated.

2 Likes