The 15 buck minimum wage. I love it when a plan comes together

Did I post this??

No, I didn’t.

As a side note most people in Congress have never owned and operated a business.

79 members of congress have been in congress over 20 years, a career.

170 members of the House and 60 Senators are lawyers. Non have their own practice.

Better yet, more than half the people in the US don’t know who their congressman is.

1 Like

He was responding to my post, which I actually meant to say “worked in the private sector” instead of “owned a business”.

Clearly few in congress have ever run a business.

Congress is loaded, if you weren’t already aware. The Center for Responsive Politics analyzed the personal financial disclosure data from 2012 of the 534 current members of Congress and found that, for the first time, more than half had an average net worth of $1 million or more: 268 to be exact, up from 257 the year earlier.

So this is an opinion based on a feeling?

Isn’t that obvious?

The ACA is the last big government program.

The push for singleton’s payer another big government expansion.

The greenie program a push for big government.

HR 1 is another push for big government.

Federal Jobs Guarantee Development Act in 2018, Big government.

The 1 trillion dollar infrastructure bill. Big Government

All this and no way to pay for it.

Then why buy it in the first place? And the $15/hr move was a company wide decision by Amazon, not just because of a demand by lawmakers, their employees, or even the public. Not only that, but they make this move and then don’t increase the labor budget to accommodate the increased business cost of the higher wage, again a decision that Amazon made. This seems like another dumb Corporate upper management decision that’s being played up here for political purposes.

Amazon also purchased Whole Foods in 2017. They made Billions in profits in 2018. THEN nearly a year later, they decided to make this move in October of 2018, but did not up their labor budget even though they knew their costs were going to go up as a result of this move. Makes perfect sense. Never mind that Amazon already has a history of not paying its workers well (which prompted this company decision to up all of their employees to $15/hr in the first place) as well as not providing a safe working environment for them. I think the big picture here is more than just about the minimum wage here.

Why? The Union is responsible for Amazon deciding to pay ALL of its workers $15/hr and then not increasing its labor budget for Whole Foods after purchasing them? Because that makes sense. [/sarcasm]

Why because whole foods is a business and either it makes a small profit for the company or they close stores.

Why do you think Amazon owes entry level, unskilled workers 15 bucks an hour for doing skut work???

Unskilled is unskilled.

Our whole foods store will be among the first to close as we all hope. It’s over over priced food as well as ver paid employees are just not worth it. We hop for a bette store to replace it.

Because Amazon made the decision to purchase Whole Foods and its employees. Amazon made the decision to pay all of its employees $15/hr. Amazon decided NOT to increase their labor budget for Whole Foods workers after raising their pay even though they knew it was going to increase their labor costs. Seems like these decisions and the ramifications of them are entirely on Amazon. It’s not a difficult concept. Truly.

So what was the point of purchasing it? Aren’t businesses in business to make money?

The employs unionized and demanded 15 bucks an hour.

The only way to make up the difference is reducing expenses, wages, benefits or employees, hours or raise prices.

As they are over priced today the option was reduce hours or people. Business will make a profit or close. Why is that so hard to understand???

p.s. Whole foods isn’t a warehouse or have worker safety issues unless they hurt their backs lifting a san of beans to the shelf but it is a nifty deflection. Personally I would recommend they sell the loser Whole foods or just close the whole thing down and take the write off on the profitable side of the house.

Win win, they lose the whole food loser and the union losers.

Which has nothing to do with Amazon deciding to raise the wages of ALL of its employees to $15/hr. It also has nothing to do with Amazon deciding not to increase their labor budget after raising the wages of ALL of its employees to $15/hr. Why are you still trying to blame the union for decisions AMAZON made?

I notice you didn’t also mention Amazon’s attempts at busting the Union after they purchased Whole Foods either. (Not that Whole Foods wasn’t also notorious for it BEFORE Amazon purchased them.) Wonder why that is?

What does this have to do with anything? Amazon purchased Whole Foods, did it not? Amazon has a history of not paying its workers well or providing safe working conditions for their warehouse workers.

Since Whole Foods employees are now employees of Amazon, I’m not sure why pointing out Amazon’s history of treatment towards their workers is a deflection. If anything, it provides some context.

And here’s some more context:

Shareholders vs. Stakeholders. The shareholders need the company to drive up their profits to make money and they don’t give a fuck about the company’s workers. This is what happens when EVERYTHING is tied to the Stock Exchange. How about putting some of the blame where it actually belongs for a change?

He said “liberal”. You said “democrat”.

Sometimes major acquisitions like this aren’t very simple to understand at first glance. By acquiring Whole Foods, Amazon was able to parlay into the grocery delivery business through services like Prime Now which lets you grocery shop and get other items that you might need on Amazon like televisions or sneakers all delivered to your front door within a 1-2 hour window of placing the order. Amazon also got additional logistics capabilities and infrastructure by purchasing Whole Foods. Once their Prime Now services expand, I think the grocery investment will prove to be a wise one.

Full disclosure, I am heavily invested in Amazon and follow their inner workings as closely as I can.

1 Like

Quality has always ben in the toilet at our whole foods store.

Sprouts is a much better store, friendlier people, better products, better process. Its why our whole foods has ben in decline for the last 5 years.

Excuse me but the unionized people/union demanded 15 bucks an hour.

And why should they increase their labor budget? Increased store sales would be a reason to increase hours however that isn’t the case so they live with their 15 bucks an hour. There are consequences to every action. Thy now can live with their demands.

Let’s short cut this endless tit for tat.

If the aggrieved employees don’t like it they can quit at any time.

Amazon os the owner, it you don’t like it there’s the door.

If you don’t like your hours, there’s the door.

Dear Whole foods employees, quit bitching about it.

Robots will take all their jobs soon anyway.

why do people assume robots are going to take all the jobs away?