SCOTUS rules 7-2 that Memorial Cross doesn’t violate Establishment Clause

Continuing the discussion from Leftists Attack WWI Memorial - Supreme Court to Decide Fate of Cross:

Ginsburg and Sotomayor wanted this cross to come down: This is why we still need Trump 2020: MCRA - Make the Courts Right Again

The Blandensburg Cross, aka The Peace Cross, is a war memorial, located in the three-way junction of Bladensburg Road, Baltimore Avenue, and Annapolis Road in Bladensburg, Maryland.

The American Humanist Association had sued the American Legion to have the cross removed, arguing the memorial represented a Christian symbol on public land and violated the establishment clause.

Lower courts had agreed with the plaintiff, against the American Legion, and the memorial was to be removed. The American Legion appealed the ruling all the way to the Supreme Court.

Today the Supreme Court reversed the lower court rulings (full pdf below ). In a 7-2 decision authored by Justice Alito, the court acknowledged the Bladensburg Cross -as a memorial- represents more than religion and does not violate the establishment clause.

“The cross is undoubtedly a Christian symbol, but that fact should not blind us to everything else that the Bladensburg Cross has come to represent. For some, that monument is a symbolic resting place for ancestors who never returned home. For others, it is a place for the community to gather and honor all veterans and their sacrifices for our Nation. For others still, it is a historical landmark. For many of these people, destroying or defacing the Cross that has stood undisturbed for nearly a century would not be neutral and would not further the ideals of respect and tolerance embodied in the First Amendment.”

~ Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.

3 Likes

Countdown to animals ripping it down illegally…

1 Like

Good! It’s been there since WWI and it wasn’t really offending anyone. These sickos just want to remake society the way they want it. They are just a bunch of miserable losers that hate everyone!

1 Like

Good ruling. I was relieved to hear it went the way it did.

1 Like

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-says-peace-cross-war-memorial-can-stay

Ginsburg and Sotomayor dissenting.

Of course.

5 Likes

Another victory against the Marxist co__suckers!

1 Like

If -as Ginsburg says - the presence of a cross indicates “establishment” of a state religion, then what are government supported gay symbols ?

3 Likes

A good decision. People who start these types of law suits are just looking for ways to disrupt and cause trouble.

I know a few aethists who said crosses etc in public never bothered them, in fact it never occurred to them that it was somehow enforcing religious dogma.

1 Like

I am thinking of something I recently read about an organization suing to have “In God We Trust” taken off our our currency that was struck down as well. I think a lower court?

Good ruling. These people don’t seem to have enough drama in their own personal lives so they have to butt in and make some for everyone else :roll_eyes:

1 Like

5762_2

:sunglasses:

This reason and many more is why Trump needs to stay in office. He should try and meme himself into a third term since the Democrats and cucks basically dicked up half of his 1st term.

8 more years!

1 Like

I agree. And as much as he’s sold out, things will be far worse if he loses and the Democrats rise to power.

1 Like

And, I’m liking the 7-2 ruling. The 5-4’s are growing aggravating…:+1:

I’ve been waiting for somebody to say such a thing, (well besides him). Let’s just retire our constitution and wing it from now on.

It’s actually pretty simple. Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion… this is a display, not a law. Not sure why people can’t just move on about their business and ignore things that they don’t like. I do it when I pass idiots sagging their pants. I don’t ask for a ban.

1 Like

The most misquoted and misunderstood line of the entire constitution.

The gov’t is to remain religiously neutral not hostile to religion.

It doesn’t say 'The Establishment" it says, “An Establishment”.

We have no business passing laws that either support or attack any religious institution or entity.

Lol, Trump had nothing to do with this. It was a 7-2 ruling…:man_shrugging:

You didn’t even attempt to understand his point.

The point is that if he gets another four years he’ll get at least one and probably two more picks for SCOTUS.

1 Like

I wonder if he could get two additional years added to this term or the next term based upon the lawlessness of the Democrats and the corrupt actions of the politically motivated judges.

If he can’t, all of the people who are responsible for destroying the first two years of his presidency should be put in prison. Yeah, that’s really harsh but I don’t give a damn.

1 Like