Saturday Morning Cinema: 100 Best Films of All Time (The Film Enthusiasts Thread) šŸ“½

https://youtu.be/MgCz9qNaVJY

2 Likes

Something tells me Iā€™m going to be watching OUATITW again soon.

Bronson was always driving around in a Jaguar Sedan, in the 70ā€™s in Santa Monica.

This is an interesting later interview about Big Country and William Wyler, With Charlton Heston

De Mille had already made him a huge star as Moses. He admits he felt his career was now lagging.

1 Like

The Music

I am clearly not able to always settle on Favorites from all genres without reflecting on other movies from different genres. Apples and Oranges.

Now I have to rewind about 2-3 episode from this Leftovers movie. Season 2 ā€¦ It been on. This has got to be the most humor-free series Iā€™ve ever seen.

One last SmileBoxā€¦

I practically lived at the Cinerama theater for this one.

Were you ever a Lonesome Dove fan? Every one who raves about Westerns always talks about that series. How about Richard Chamberlain in Thornbirds? :rofl: I only watched because I had a thing for Rachel Ward.

I watched Lonesome Dove. I barely remember it. It think it was okay. I donā€™t think I watched more than part of an episode of Thornbirds. Never got into it. I didnā€™t watch regular TV for a very long time.

Funny stuff from David Lynch

https://youtu.be/TqZpi8zAqe0

2 Likes

Just finding out about this guy (Andrei Tarkovsky) and his unusual style of film making.

This is suppose to be considered his marquee work.

Ones critique of the film

His Solaris is my favorite. Stalker is interesting, but I usually find it arbitrary. For years I only had a terrible VHS copy from Russian TV. The later Criterion DVD was much better. I loved Andrei Rublev, but The Mirror was too much of a Bergman ripoff.

Solaris is a beautiful film with amazing photography. I saw it in the theater on a big screen originallyā€“in a Hollywood theater. I didnā€™t really appreciate it until the Criterion DVD and then I was able to study it more carefully.

He was ordered to make a film to compete with 2001. He had to condemn Kubrick, but I can understand his need to keep his career, although it was a cop out.

Stalker was originally a Russian TV movie I believeā€¦a mini-series

You had Solaris on your top list but I wasnā€™t sure if you were referring to the American redo with Clooney or the original.

Me too, but I am in a time warp and it seems like just the other day.

Here Tarantino talks about Hitchcock and De Palma.

De Palmaā€™s long tracking shot in Bonfire of the Vanities.

Bonfire of the Vanities, was one of the most disappointing De Palma films, for me. I had read the novel and it was a good one and that may have been the biggest reason the movie fell flat for me. On the other hand, it contains some remarkable scenes. I think the biggest reason it fell flat for me was Tom Hanks in the main role which didnā€™t feel right.

I would like to give it another try. Iā€™ve seen it a couple times, but maybe I need to watch it again.EDIT Tried to watch it todayā€¦itā€™s just lousy!

Although De Palma denies it, Warner executives, interfered with De Palmaā€™s vision, but he had not been on the film from the beginning, consequently it lacked some of the De Palma style. I think De Palma should have used his music composers, rather than who he ended up choosing.

The movie is terrible and book was so excellent, De Palma should pull a Hitchcock and do a Superior remake of his own movie, himself. The book is so good De Palma should do it justice. De Palma is 80 yrs. old. Hope heā€™s doing okay.

Michael Cimino is one of my top favorite directors so detailed

hereā€™s the trailer for The Desperate Hours

And the Sicilian

I really donā€™t like Tarantino very much to be honest. I think he is arrogant pos who needs some toxic revenge like a good punch to his face. Ever since he was out bad mouthing cops I lost all respect for him.

Yeah a couple years ago he shot his mouth off at a anti-police event, just before the release of Hateful Eight. I was already annoyed by other things he had said about other things. On the other hand some of his interviews are engrossing when heā€™s talking about film and never talks politics and talks really honest and humbleā€¦other times he is an arrogant ass. He had that argument with the press who criticized him for not making Margot Robbies part in the last one bigger. I liked the way he went after the press.

Years before that, in 2003 Tarantino was on Howard Stern, he got in trouble with the media for defending Roman Polanski. At the time I read all the court transcripts and learned things I didnā€™t know about that case. One part of the testimony shows that it was Samantha Geimer who had provided the Quaaludes and she was sexually active. Years later she denied those detailsā€¦ Obviously her and her mom were well aware of Polanski and the under age Natasha Kinskiā€¦It was well known.

Here, she calls out Tarantinoā€¦but remember she had been defending Polanski for years herselfā€¦

Besides his arrogant comments at times, which turn me off to him, Iā€™ve always been critical of his gratuitous violence and blood splatter. His obsession with pulp seemed weird to meā€¦
(Remember his favorite thing in the universe was the Sergio Leone spaghetti westernsā€¦ )

But his movies are mostly great films and brilliant dark comedy. And he uses REAL film, 70mm.

When I heard he was doing a Manson Murders movie I was angry. First I pictured Tarantino going full goryā€¦to Sharon Tate. The story that the killers took her baby out and dragged out the guts I was worried Tarantino would be an asshole. I also figured he would muck up the story like all the other Manson movies. He was too young to really know about that period.

I delayed watching Hateful Eight because his police comments were so stupid, and the coming Manson movie I imagined would be horrible. So I was very negative about Tarantino.

You have seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywoodā€¦right?

Inglorious Bastards, Hateful Eight, etc?

ā€¦

Yep sure have and and I donā€™t really relate to his style. Those last two I couldnā€™t really sit through them in their entirety and they had to be watched in small doses in increments. I did it only because I had to review those films. DeJango I think is the only film I last saw that I thought was worth seeing, but even that was a bit of a stretch for me. I liked Jackie Brown, and Reservoir Dogs but Tarantino lost it after that.

Thatā€™s funny. His two movies I like the least is Resevoir dogs and Jackie Brown I like Jackie Brown, but never cared for Resevoir Dogs much at all. Django was okay but I prefer his others. Hateful Eight I began to appreciate after the third viewing. The Kill Bill movies are pretty pulpy and corney, but watchable, obvious Sergio Leone exaggerated parody. Heā€™s making a third Kill Bill right now apparently.

Overall, I usually start liking his movies after a few viewings. I start out thinking they are stupid, repulsive and bloody and then appreciate them after 3-4 viewings. I also look at his technical skill. I love Once upon a time in Hollywood. He totally surprised me. I have watched it 10 times or so, now. itā€™s comedy. I love the ending.

Obviously heā€™s not David Lean, heā€™s dark excessive comedy.

Ridley Scottā€™s First Film and a look at the historical context what the film ā€œThe Duelistā€ is based on.

1 Like

My number one film is ā€œDouble Indemnityā€ made in 1944 and Directed by Billy Wilder and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson.

Not sure how long it would take me to do My Top 100 Films, but Iā€™ll work on it!

1 Like

I love David Lynch and ā€œMulholland Driveā€ is in My Top 20 films, I love all his films but I think that ā€œMulholland Driveā€ is pretty exceptional.

2 Likes

ā€œThe Man Who Knew Too Muchā€ the original version I prefer to the remake, Leslie Banks who was a great British character actor is in it and also Peter Lorre is in it, made in 1934.

ā€œThe 39 Stepsā€ made in 1935 starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll, this would also be in My Top 20 Films.

ā€œThe Lady Vanishesā€ made in 1938 starring Michael Redgrave and Margaret Lockwood is also a great film and would also be in My Top 20 Films.

ā€œYoung And Innocentā€ made in 1937 and starring Derrick De Marney and Nova Pilbeam is also a nice little film.

2 Likes

Yeah but Lynch was the wrong guy for ā€œDuneā€

ā€œBlue Velvetā€ is my favorite one he did

Oh, and Welcome to the jungle, Lucy!

3 Likes