Saturday Morning Cinema: 100 Best Films of All Time (The Film Enthusiasts Thread) 📽

I agree “Dune” is a disaster, pretty much unwatchable in my opinion.

I love “Blue Velvet” it was my favorite until “Mulholland Drive” and now I have “Blue Velvet” as my second favorite David Lynch film.

Thanks for the welcome!

1 Like

I love Double Indemnity. Everything about it is classic. Photography, dialogue, acting. I can never resist watching it when it turns up on Turner Classic Movies. Fred McMurray was also a nasty guy in the much later Billy Wilder movie, “The Apartment.”

It’s hard to compile a list,

A lot of those Hitchcocks are free to watch now in HD on Youtube --best on a smart TV. I re-watched them all recently. I’ve seen them so many times. Great films.

1 Like

“Double Indemnity” is basically perfect in all departments, a genuinely brilliant film. Yes Fred MacMurray was in “The Apartment” which is another good film.

2 Likes

It’s real hard for me to say which David Lynch I like best, but Twin Peaks redux was amazing and hilarious, so it’s my current favorite. Inland Empire was also amazing, but very difficult .

I want to re-watch the whole Twin Peaks redux again at some point.

1 Like

I love everything “Twin Peaks” I like “Inland Empire” despite it being so fantastically confusing.

1 Like

Yes you can watch them now on YouTube, but also they are not that expensive to buy on DVD/Blu-Ray.

What would be my favorite Post-1930s Hitchcock film? Difficult to say, but it would be between “Shadow of a Doubt” made in 1943 and starring Joseph Cotten and Teresa Wright:

“Spellbound” made in 1945 and starring Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman:

1 Like

Hitchcock at one point said Shadow of a Doubt was his personal favorite.

The Birds, Marnie, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Spellbound…Stranger on a Train…so many.

1 Like

Here’s a good British film that’s available on YouTube, the picture quality is fantastic also.

“Town On Trial” made in 1957 and starring John Mills, Charles Coburn, Barbara Bates and Derek Farr and Directed by John Guillermin.

Here’s the original trailer:

Here’s the full film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGWS2RA0YE

1 Like

I can see why “Shadow of a Doubt” might be his favorite.

Here’s the trailer that’s included on the Blu-Ray release:

I like all of those films, but never been too hot on “Marnie” also not too hot on “Topaz” or “Torn Curtain”

2 Likes

I think it’s a toss up for me between Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. That scene with Robert Blake on the phone was really creepy. That is something that really lingered for a while not to mention when that movie came out he was charged with murder and was on trial in a case that was really sketchy. Very weird and Ironic at the same time. My favourite work from Lynch though will always be “Twin Peaks!”

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with you on “Dune“ I read the book and the movie was a disappointing investment.

I’ve not watched “Lost Highway” for a while, I’ll have to watch it again.

Okay so my favorite David Lynch films in order:

“Mulholland Drive”
“Blue Velvet”
“Wild At Heart”
“Lost Highway”
“Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me”
“Inland Empire”
“Eraserhead”
“The Elephant Man”
“The Straight Story”
“Dune”

Uh so I have to include “Dune” even though I can’t stand it, but it is at the bottom as my least favorite.

I haven’t watched “Inland Empire“ nor “Straight Story” might have to look for those. So thanks for that scoop.

Yeah “Lost Highway” was not only creepy but it ends with no ending at all just the Highway which in a sense might be the point. It’s that reincarnated aspect of life tied in with Karma that makes all of our lives a lost Highway in some aspect or another.

I’m going to watch Town on Trial right now on my big TV.

Marnie took a while for me to appreciate. I love it. I’ve seen it numerous times over the years and it became one of my top Hitchcock films.

Never big on Torn Curtain or Topaz, either. I recently re-watched Topaz and felt the same good but not one of his best. Frenzy is pretty good.

1 Like

There are some moments in Dune that are amazing and this future Dune in production, is not going to top it.

And this one:

I wrote this a few weeks ago on the H forum…there is some anecdotal stuff.

Hitchcock’s last film

Family Plot (1976)

A Comedy thriller, Starring Bruce Dern (father of Laura Dern (He was married for 9 years to Laura’s mom, Diane Ladd). Barbara Harris and Karen Black and William Devane (seen these days on the Gold Bullion commercials on Fox news)

It a silly, funny, movie with goofy characters. it grows on me. Watch on smart TV with youtube app for big screen. It’s a complicated, fun, movie that gets better with multiple viewings.

https://youtu.be/JV_M9Bi12Y8

There’s some interesting connections here I find more interesting than the game “6 Degree of Kevin Bacon.”. It could be “6 Degree of Bruce Dern.”

Currently at 84 years old, Bruce currently has 12 movies in pre- post- production and currently filming. His last big role was in Tarentino’s, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, " playing George Spahn who owned Spahn Movie Ranch, in Chatsworth, CA where the murderous Manson family lived.

His Daughter Laura and ex-wife Diane Ladd are staples of the David Lynch universe. Bruce and Diane tragically lost an 18 month old daughter, in a swimming pool accident, early in their marriage. Laura was only two when her parents separated and divorced.

Currently Diane Ladd lives with her current husband, in small town, Ojai, CA. Mark Frost, David Lynch’s Co-writer lives in Ojai also.

Hitchcock’s “Family Plot” has some scenes shot at a little restaurant in rural Ojai. I can pretty much assume Hitchcock ate a Pizza there (more than one no doubt). Also some of the winding road scenes listed in "Angeles National Forest " on IMDB, are in Ojai and Sylmar CA. The little restaurant looks a little different today on the outside, from 1976, but the interior looks the same in this 1976 movie, as I remember it, from living there throughout much of the 90’s. It’s expanded a little now. So in the movie, when Bruce Dern and Barbara Harris walk into the little restaurant, I find it funny, because I ate there way to many times and a bunch of times at the same table they sit at in the movie.

One of my sister’s still lives in Ojai and Diane Ladd 84 yrs, comes into her business all the time. They talk a lot. Ojai has also been the home of Malcolm McDowell—famously Alex in, Kubrick’s “A Clockwork Orange,” and the late Larry Hagman, J.R.Ewing on Dallas, who believed it was a big Cell Tower in the hills, near his home in Upper Ojai, that gave him leukemia.

I also know a curious plot of land that supposedly Johnny Depp co-owns with Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean.) The property is not built on at least on the surface. There have been rumors they have some kind of underground compound there, bomb shelter? or escape pad, I don’t know. Could be nonsense, but the layout and the tree and shrub planting is odd. I’m not saying where I heard the story.

More trivia:

Tim Burton, lived in Ojai. Anthony Hopkins is still apparently in Ojai, part time. You could see him wandering around the arcade, Barefoot, wearing a frayed straw hat and white tee-shirt Julia Roberts was there sometimes running.

Gossip sites, pop up and say Bruckheimer is not sure if Depp will return in the next Pirates movie. Depp has recently done some songs with Jeff Beck, which is interesting.

1 Like

Story I want to share with you, but will do an edit later on this.

Edit:

I sat around with my grandfather who was a medicine man many camp fires. Only seeing his face with outlines imbued from the nights darkness he would tell stories of people walking around aimlessly on another plane. When you were describing some walking around like Hopkins (probably barefoot) it reminded me of such a conversation I had with him. He (Hopkins and other movie celebrities doing the same) might as well have been ghosts wandering in eternity as my grandfather once said.

The Niwot he said is where my decedents came from. They used to live in Boulder Co until one day they vanished without any trace. In fact no one believes they ever existed. My grandfather said they entered a gateway through one of the rocks in a nearby Canyon and never came back.

1 Like

Town on Trial. I liked it. I think I saw it before years ago, it was fun. Taut and suspenseful British killer mystery, with a hard boiled, unrelenting, detective with a list of suspects and great cast. Good movie.

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s a really well made film and it’s not one of those murder mysteries where midway through it’s obvious who the murderer is and so the suspense is maintained to the final quarter of the film.

1 Like