Saturday Morning Cinema: 100 Best Films of All Time (The Film Enthusiasts Thread) 📽

It’s probably a major reason why they are insistent on catering to the Chinese market, Americans are waking up to their obvious propaganda bullshit.

On second thought, I decided to agree with you, and change it. I forgot to include Saving Private Ryan which should be on the list. Wall-E was lauded as an animation feat with an original storyline which is why it’s considered a great film. Maybe appropriate for cult classics.

Guys in toupees and women in girdles are the stuff of Hollywood – so Ladd was short. He was a money maker and was excellent in the movie Shane. And the movie had a great story line.

1 Like

I think a more interesting question for and others here would be: Do you have one favourite movie that you can watch over and over again, what movie would that be?

There’s a few I never get tired of: Ben-Hur, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the Maltese Falcon

1 Like

Ben Hur, Eyes Wide Shut, Lolita, Dr. Zhivago, Spartacus, El Cid.

I already have seen them at least once a year since they came out.

All Kubrick and Lean films and many others I see every year and others, every few years.

I think its interesting that I posed a question as just being “one” film and so far its a series of films in the responses. :rofl:

1 Like

My mind keep going back to Lolita…the funniest film ever made–the greatest acting, writing, direction, even funnier than Dr. Strangelove, and Some like it hot.

Serious story–how can one choose between Ben Hur or Dr. Zhivago? And Eyes Wide Shut–even made Barry Lyndon, look like just a learning step in light and color.

Ben Hur, Splendor in the Grass, West Side Story Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey?

All good movies, of course I would have to watch Ben Hur again, its been a long time since I have watched that film. I recently watched the “Ten Commandments” and I found it to be rather dated in terms of studio sounds, and stilted acting from the usual suspects that is was almost comical watching it. The latter 2 references are on my list.

In it’s day on the big screen it was the Greatest Film of all time. Just the Elmer Bernstein music alone, put it at the top.

Ben Hur on the big screen or on a Big TV, has everything. a most perfect movie, that surpassed anything previous and really nothing else that epic, exists today.

I always worry many people have only seen the greatest movies on small screens—even people doing their watching on phones or little screens. Even Blu-ray and 4K on a Big TV is inferior to watching real film projection on a big, high ticket film projected, screen. Not the digital stuff on screens today.

The last time I saw Ben Hur 65mm, film projected was a freshly restored version that showed at the LA Museum of Art—it was so great. It was like watching it at the Egyptian theater, when you had to reserve your tickets months in advance.

I feel that way with any Sergio Leone movie. Would loved to have seen “Once Upon a Time in the West” on the big screen. “The Last Emperor” is another, as that was truly an amazing film and a sad commentary on China’s past and future colliding. Another one is Scorsese’s “Kundun” his best work ever!

I saw Once Upon a Time in the West on the movie screen it was a great film, At times it really felt lacking the Clint Eastwood subtle humor.

The Last Emperor was astounding on the big screen…I loved it. As time passed, when I tried to re-watch it, it wasn’t drawing me in as much. It was a pretty “dry” movie sort of like re-watching Gandhi or Khartoum.

Yeah that is your bias talking. :rofl: That film never gets old for me, it truly is an ageless master piece. Leone defined the genre of Spaghetti Westerns even though a lot of his earlier films were shot in Spain. Go figure.

One thing about that film is that Bernardo Bertolucci is the only film director to have ever shot a film within the Forbidden City without the censorship and control of the CCP. Today’s film makers wouldn’t be able to get away with such without paying an exorbitant ransom of bribes and even at that they probably would have to agree to insert some sort of CCP propaganda in their story lines.

Every so often I re-watch it. I was hard to adjust to Henry Fonda in that part for me. I also knew there had been a rift between Leone and Eastwood. I really loved the previous Leone-Eastwood movies, so it started out with that twinge of disappointment.

It was a masterful film. Awesome. I loved Bertolucci’s “Stealing Beauty.” and some of his earlier films too.

It was a perfect and unexpected coupling of this nearly unknown actor, with a Western Movie action, fanatic director, Leone.
And of course that Morricone Music was so iconic too.

Quentin Tarentino was massively influenced by Sergio Leone.

I’ve probably only seen it 5 times. I can never pass up the Good Bad and the Ugly, if is shows on Turner Classics.

Talking about favorite Westerns is another topic and a list that would me awhile.

I really love, William Wyler’s, “The Big Country”—and that Jerome Moross music is so spectacular.

I also saw How the West was Won at least 10 times in 3-screen Cinerama when it first came out, and that was an incredible event—and the music still gives me Goosebumps.

1 Like

Yeah, especially his close-up shots.

1 Like

I totally agree with you on that. Epic!

My favorite Wyler film is Wurthering Heights with Sir Lawrence Olivier. I wanted to put it on the list, but to be honest more would have to be done to do separate genres and I am not getting paid to do that. :sweat: :sweat:

1 Like

Well, it was quite the departure from Grapes of Wrath, however, he made the perfect villain, and Bronson was spectacular. So many layers to that film.