Rockets hit US embassy in Baghdad amid protests

It ended when it was suppose to but we got sucked back in…

The withdrawal of U.S. military forces from Iraq began in December 2007 with the end of the Iraq War troop surge of 2007 and was completed by December 2011, bringing an end to the Iraq War.

Yeah, 'course you are - they want you there really because of all the dollars that are gushing in . . . same reason that the Afghan Taliban won’t let you go? They’re running rings around the US as usual, and one day you might wake up and realise it. I wouldn’t bet on it though! :laughing:

FFS you there now - that’s the salient point??

Correct, and upon formal request to leave we should.

We’re there because the crawled on their hands and knees begging us to come back after ISIS overran 1/3 of the country and decimated their military.

They drew up the SOFA and signed it under which we continue operating.

The Shias can go screw themselves, we’re not leaving until we decide it’s in our best interests to do so.

The Shia in Iraq are nothing but Iranian proxies who gained control of the parliament and Presidency through subversion and corruption.

We leave again, the country falls apart again, and when we have to come back again it will be at a tremendous cost in both dollars and American and Iraqi lives.

As usual you don’t know shit about the topic you’re all exorcised over.

Go educate yourself, learn something and then try to understand what you learn instead of making idiotic childish and ignorant pontificaions.

Thank you - at last I’m making contact with intelligence and pragmaticism.

1 Like

The point is as Colon Powell made clear, you break it you own it. The US broke it and has an unfortunate obligation. Hussein NEVER gave any quarters to Islamic extremists, the formation of the Islamic state in October of 2006 would NEVER have been possible under Hussein.

Destruction and destabilization is either long term USFP for the region, or we’ve witnessed decades of incompetence, neither of which is reassuring.

How the hell is it in our best interest to be there now?

2 Likes

After we illegally invaded their country and killed their leader? I know the Bush family hated Saddam but don’t act like we had any business being in the country in the first place… because we didn’t.

1 Like

Are you really looking for an answer or simply to say it’s not no matter what is explained to you?

There was nothing “illegal” about OIF.

Yes, they literally begged us to come back after Obama abandoned them and refused to send US troops back to battle ISIS for 3 full years while ISIS wiped out nearly half their army.

Had we not deposed Saddam there would have been no ISIS.

Brilliant deduction!

If we’d left Saddam in power we had a whole different set of problems to deal with.

Let me guess, you’re too young to understand what Saddam was up to between 1990 and 2004, correct?

Ahh…the tired “world’s policeman” argument. Yes, let’s keep sending Americans to die for reasons.

2 Likes

Like what? These countries need strongmen dictators to function. Saddam was our guy until a bunch of bureaucrats decided he wasn’t. Not everything that happens in the world is the responsibility of the US to fix. Especially in the Middle East. Our country is no better off for us being there.

I thought Trump defeated ISIS?

No, we used him as a counter to Iran until he started targeting and shooting at our planes again ans slughtering civiilan populations such as the Kurds and again threatening to expand beyond his own borders starting a much wider conflict in the ME.

No it’s not about world policing but it is about protecting our interests.

Like it or not 30% of the world’s petroleum still has to pass through the Str of Hormuz and as long as that’s the case, even if we are energy independent our allies and “trading partners” are not and oil is still traded at global market rates.

Strategically we’re protected with our own supply but not economically. If oil were to jump back to 140.00/bbl or more it would collapse the economies of all the industrialized powers within weeks or months. Till that equation changes we have to do what we can to keep it flowing.

We did, unfortunately in the vacuum left by Obama before Trump was elected Iran moved in.

This is the type of thinking of someone who thinks our military should actually be a mercenary force that doesn’t even get paid by the foreign interests it protects. That’s the shittiest of business models.

We are only in the region to protect Israel and their interests. Americans get fed into a meat grinder because the Israelis never like getting their hands dirty.

It’s a real shame that @TWR cares so little about the lives of American servicemen and women.

Go screw yourself and your anti Israeli idiocy. I served with our troops, I’m one of them, I came home a disabled vet because of it.

The idea we’re doing all this for Israel is absolute stupidity born of nothing but hate and ignorance.