Retribution Has Begun: Iran attacks US bases in Iraq

So what is so strategically important that thousands of Americans have had to die over the past 20 years in the region? Name it.

You are an economic retard with no concept of what it takes to keep the industrialize world operating.

You might have seen that on Monday President Obama will likely nominate former Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican, to be Secretary of Defense.

But what you probably haven’t seen – because everyone has forgotten – is that back in 2007, Chuck Hagel went totally crazy and told the truth about our invasion of Iraq. Here’s what he said:

People say we’re not fighting for oil. Of course we are. They talk about America’s national interest. What the hell do you think they’re talking about? We’re not there for figs.

The straits of Hormuz. 30% of the worlds petroleum passes through them every day.

Really? We have more of the resource you are claiming as central to this conflict, ■■■■■■■

Instead of having to retype my response to you I will just provide you a link!

This is not about resource for the US, its about securing who controls the EU economy through OIL. Also where do you get to the point where US soldiers will be sacrificed? I will wait for your response. BTW stop with the name calling, we can all be adults here by having a civil conversation!

Totally irrelevant.

The price of crude oil and everything made from it is determined by the total world available supply from day to day.

There is no excess petroleum.

The US may not need oil from the ME anymore but the price of everything related to oil is dependent on it.

Close the Straits and oil doubles within days. Close them for a month and it increases by a factor of 3-5x.

That would throw us into the deepest depression the world has ever seen.

Yes - I am well aware that Americans are being sent to their deaths for resources and a mission that is not central to American interests.

1 Like

And our own economic reliance on affordable petroleum.

So you didn’t read the link I provided you? Great Gotcha! Now I know how you roll!

Of course it is essential to our interests. Without the free flow of oil from the gulf our economy crashes like you can’t imagie because no one has seen it since the depressions of late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Well, clearly you can see that we have warmongers here arguing that the US must spend more blood and treasure to protect the oil interests of the rest of the developed world. Never mind that Japan/China/Europe and the rest of the developed world could much more than adequately provide for the security of their own oil needs. But some people love war. Like Trump said of Bolton, “If he had his own way, he’d go to war against the whole world”. There are sick people that start salivating when the missiles start flying.

1 Like

What you’re referring to is simply a shift in economic policy away from the petrodollar. That’s another thread entirely. The US shouldn’t be so addicted to the petro dollar anyway. We are too resource rich of a nation for such stupidity.

None of those countries or all of them combined has the military resources necessary.

No matter what happens our national strategic and economic interests are tied directly to keeping the oil flowing.

There’s simply no way around it.

No I’m not, that’s just more conspiracy nut BS.

If the gulf is closed the dollar’s value would increase astronomically as the rest of the industrialized world comes to a halt.

Our economy would continue because we have our own supply but at a horrendous cost.

Tell me something? Do you regularly eat Bread, Potatoes, Rice, or Pasta?

Or anything else not grown in your own garden.

I’m seeing reports of F-35’s taking off from the UAE. Not sure if this is precautionary or if they are heading for a strike.

Probably recon mission to make sure there aren’t follow up strikes. I seriously doubt an immediate response is going to happen, or I would be surprised if that wasn’t the case.