President Trump and tariffs

It probably is not a really good idea to begin a discussion with laughter toward the position of another.

And it is certainly disrespectful.

In any case, your phrasing of the matter–“[D]o you want high tariffs [that will cause you to] pay more for things you want to buy[?]”–is rather clumsy, to say the least.

The real question is: Will most Americans agree to make the same sort of material sacrifice that Americans did during WWII?

I simply do not believe that this sacrifice should be imposed, from on high. That sounds downright authoritarian.

1 Like

Let’s have a national discussion on whether we want to pay income tax.

1 Like

That’s not demonstrable, and criticisms of Trumps trade war is coming from Republicans as well.

The suggestion for a national discussion could also be had regarding a balanced budget yet the results are exactly the same as my comments above. It isn’t distrustful but the reality we face today.

And the real answer is no one wants to sacrifice anything. People want higher taxes as long as thy don’t pay more.

People want single payer healthcare as long as they don’t have to pay more.

People today are unwilling to sacrifice anything if it takes from their bottom line.

Look at California, a referendum should we raise taxes on the wealthy up to 13.3%?

A resounding yes as the majority voting yes are untouched by higher taxes.

American are pretty selfish.

Right…
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.vice.com/amp/en_ca/article/9kxkp5/even-trumps-own-advisers-say-the-trade-war-will-hurt-the-us

I see that critical thinking and forward thinking is not your bailiwick.

Keep playing checkers while others play chess.

1 Like

Just like a loyal Trump partisan, follow his playbook by insulting people rather than engaging them in intelligent debate.

That is all you’ve got? :rofl:

You sound butt hurt. :tired_face:

1 Like

A lot of democrats are on board with Trump regarding China if they disagree with his policy approach.

We’ll see how much you like it when it hits your pocket book.

On the surface, that sounds rather impressive.

But the fact is that the Republicans who have criticized President Trump’s trade policy (and it is not above criticism, in my view) tend to be from states that would be harmed by a trade war with China.

For instance, Charles Grassley and Joni Ernst of Iowa, which produces a great deal of corn–much of which is shipped overseas–are not exactly examples of neutral, thoughtful analysis.

I voted for Donald Trump in 2016; and I fully expect to do so again.

Still, I will have to admit that he can sometimes be insulting–and so can his defenders–and that is a tendency that I really do not care for.

It should surely be noted, however, that he is not alone in this. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, for instance–as well as the Democratic “Resistance” throughout the nation–have also been frequently insulting.

No, two wrongs do not make for one right. But that is hardly my point.

I am just saying that it would be preferable if those who dislike insults, on principle, were to police their own ranks first…

Because Trump is not an ideologue. He’s independent. He’s not beholden to the parties.

Are you sure politics is your thing? This was discussed even during the campaign.

Why do you dislike insults?

Because I do not believe that they are conducive to constructive dialogue.

And because they are surely beneath the dignity of any serious adult.

Trump was not voted into office for his diplomacy skills. Quite the opposite. About the last thing we need in this country right now are politically correct double-speakers.

Republican/conservatives have been very tolerant, much to our detriment, of those on the left who’s tactics and smear campaigns know no decency.

They have been the instigators of insults. Not also as in occasional or secondary to or a side note.

There comes a point in time where you no longer tolerate smears and lies against your character. Trump has been basically going it alone, without support from Republicans in congress, since he was elected.

1 Like

With Trump having lowered the bar as he has, I don’t have much hope.

Assuming that means that Trump is no serious adult, for insults are coming from his Twitter feed daily…

Interesting to me that so many Trumper’s conflate civility with political correctness. So when Trump insults other politicians, or just average Americans as he does, he’s just not being politically correct.

I’m sure I speak only for me when I say…

Go Trump! I voted for you to spit in the filthy liberal’s collective eye as often a practical. You are meeting my expectations.

Enough with lawyerly polite but deceptive words from politicians.