My Top Five War Movies

Something from the Korean war:
Bridges over Tok Ri

1 Like

George C Scott refused to accept his Oscar, protesting the Academy, I always thought it was because he should have won for this one

I didn’t include Dr. Strangelove in my greatest war films list, because it a comedy and fits better in the top 5 best movies ever.

George C Scott also did the 1986 TV movie The Last Days of Patton.

Patton was complicated to say the least.

Here, Scott falls down by accident and Kubrick left the scene in --Scott was supposedly pissed off Kubrick lied and left the fall in the movie

Agreed, and Strangelove was great for sure, but I still like Patton better. Maybe its because I long to hear people like Patton, who seem to have disappeared.

Ronald Reagan narrating film footage of the real Patton and his death in the auto accident.

Then a video by the guy claiming he was told, Patton was assassinated

Insert Conspiracy theory here…

1 Like

This is interesting

1 Like

GENERAL PATTON MURDERED FOR TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM SATANISM

All crappy Hollywood war movies were created to bury historical truths.

I complied with @rp5x5 request.

You’re trashing your own thread with your opinion. LOL

Real entertainment.

No I did not create this thread and proof positive you don’t bother reading Nor respect the rules you just like making stupid comments.

Maybe just put him on ignore.

Replying to him just feeds it. He is not going to figure it out.

It becomes repetitive spam.

At some point in the 90’s I met a screenwriter who told me Oliver Stone didn’t really write Platoon–that he had written it. He showed me his copy. I don’t know if I believed him. He was a hired gun on other well known films. Since then I developed a mixed feeling about it. I already knew Oliver was a truth stretcher, which bothered me since I loved his films.

I heard the same when it comes to Oliver Stone. My favorite movie from him is “U-Turn” which IMO was Stone’s best work, both from a Stylistic Standpoint and original screenplay. Its a shame he deviated from that and became too influenced by the politics of Hollywood.

I thought Midnight Express (written by Stone) was terrific. I bought the book (supposed to be a true story) and read it and discovered ALL three of the heaviest most extreme shocking scenes, in the movie were invented. So Stone was an exaggerator which bothers me when it’s supposed to be a true story. I don’t mind a writer taking creative liberties for movies, but the real guy DID NOT bite the Turks tongue out and two other most intense scenes never happened. The real life story was a travelogue compared the film.

I loved most of Platoon. I loved the music and the characters. I saw it a number of Times. With repeated viewings it started feeling fake. Manufactured drama. Oliver Stone never said it was non-fiction but he always pitched it like it was all his experience. It was like virtue signaling towards the end.

I thought “Born on the fourth of July” was a masterpiece, but then read the real life book. Stone was at it again. He fakes things.

If you are writing fiction, don’t pretend it’s real, if you are writing non-fiction, don’t add a bunch of extreme scenes just for drama.

Kind of almost like his JFK movie! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Or his Alexander, which was a huge disappointment.

Even though I’m critical of Stone, I still love most of his screenplays, films and direction even when he annoys me and is faking things.

He also knows how to move me to tears. I will cry all the way through JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, Heaven and Earth, even though I’ve seen them many times. It’s emotionally punishing.

The Hand was silly. Salvador was very good, Talk Radio was ok, Platoon was very good, Wall Street was excellent. I love The Doors.

The screenplay for Scarface was a masterpiece as was the whole movie.

I love JFK. Everything about it is great, even though the truth of what happened remained nebulous. It’s a haunting movie.

it seems everyone hated Alexander, but i defended it. it’s a very deep movie and visually amazing, but subtle, remote. One would have to be in an altered state to not be bored to death. it could be used clinically, to test attention spans.

“Natural born Killers” is a masterpiece, it is very complex technically. the Sound of rattlesnake rattles in stereo ping ponging. darkest comedy surpassing even David Lynch and Tarentino. It gets tiring but so thick with detail and phantasms.

Stone is a giant contradiction. He can’t tell if he’s a Capitalist with a commie trying to get out, or a Commie with a capitalist trying to get out. When I read what he says, he’s so obviously contradicting himself, moment by moment. He’s had periods of cocaine addiction and manic creativity and periods of being clean but making more boring movies.

I cannot watch his commie documentaries and history rewrites. He hates patriotism and nationalism, intellectually, but then contradicts himself. At least he can’t find any better country or system. His later films have been total boredom. Nixon was well made but Boring, W and WtTC was a waste. I hope he gets creative again.

His movie in pre-production right now is called “White Lies.”

I used to be a big Oliver Stone fan, but that love affair didn’t last long when I was in Film school as an under grad, especially when Twin Peaks was all the rage, and as well as Terry Gilliam, Jean Luc Goddard, Fellini, and Orson Wells were heavy influences of the avant-garde movement.

However out all film makers ever, my favorite by far and its not even close, is Terrance Malick. The film that I also forgot to mention that should be on my list is “Thin Red Line”!

His latest film “A Hidden Life” is a pretty amazing film from a German perspective, about being a conscientious objector.

In the end … everybody dies

“History is peaceful the future is violent!” Best line and the most philosophical. Good movie!

In that pic it looks like the woman is trying to give the GI a BJ. :rofl: