Medical marijuana and Firearms

For those that take the time it’s a worthwhile read.

Let’s talk about Pot in general:

Over the last 30 years, psychiatrists and epidemiologists have turned speculation about marijuana’s dangers into science. Yet over the same period, a shrewd and expensive lobbying campaign has pushed public attitudes about marijuana the other way. And the effects are now becoming apparent.

Almost everything you think you know about the health effects of cannabis, almost everything advocates and the media have told you for a generation, is wrong.

They’ve told you marijuana has many different medical uses. In reality marijuana and THC, its active ingredient, have been shown to work only in a few narrow conditions. They are most commonly prescribed for pain relief. But they are rarely tested against other pain relief drugs like ibuprofen—and in July, a large four-year study of patients with chronic pain in Australia showed cannabis use was associated with greater pain over time.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marijuana-mental-illness-violence/?appeal_code=MK119EM1&sc=MK119EM1&utm_campaign=imprimis&utm_source=housefile&utm_medium=email&utm_content=january2019marijuana&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9ViQ9dU4iPWuRqtNwsw7rL42I8hpF5O5wIsWaMsdxyTaxK-8SmqRZXBriSGB8GZuJlgtk0VGbUmLWq3ePzAgM1qvIkaA&_hsmi=69315157

1 Like

I smoked pot for decades, not once in all that time, did any of my pot smoking friends ever suggest it was a pain reliever. Nobody every suggested it to deal with pain. Nobody ever said, hey, you sprained your ankle, or threw out your back, try smoking a joint that will help. Medical marijuana was never anything but a foot in the door on the way to legalizing recreational pot.

And for the record I am for legalization, it’s just not a pain reliever or a medicine. I’ll stick with the truth, government has no more business telling me I can’t get high on pot than they do telling me I can’t drink a beer, it’s none of their damn business.

1 Like

It’s proper Federal Purview so there’s really not much room for argument.

If the fed’s have the constitutional authority to regulate firearms and/or drugs at all this is lawful and constitutional.

Living in a state with legalized pot here are the problems w are experiencing:

1. Grown professionally, it far more potent than the street version.
  2. The allow home grown up to x amount of plants. It requires venting in the summer. It stinks.
  3. The age at which kids try it is lower as mommy and daddy have it readily available along with edibles.
  4. Auto insurance has increased as more people are under the influence. I experienced a hit and run by a dope smoker. They caught him, had no insurance. I got hit for a 30% increase as my insurance paid for my repairs.
  5. With the high taxes street pot has exploded as demand has increased.
  6. Medical and recreational are tax at 2 different rates. They sell more medical than recreational.
  7. I have been stopped twice in Nebraska as they were checking to see if I was a pot user, had the dog to check outside the auto.

What probable cause or “reasonable suspicion” did they cite for the stop?

While I don’t doubt that it happened the premise definitely disturbs me.

Suspicion was it was night and I was near the white line on the right side or the road. Apparently people drinking other hug the center line or the right line.

Second time it was a courtesy stop as I was driving late at night. 1AM.

In any case as I’m not a user I could care less as people come to Colorado from nearby states and buy pot legally and transport it home. Colorado people often transport it for relatives and friends in nearby states.

I’ve heard similar lines of crap in the past.

One of my favorites was when a local cop came flying up on my hind end when I’d done absolutely nothing.

He did it repeatedly and finally I tapped my brakes and moved out of his way.

His excuse for the stop? I was driving erratically. Ticketed me for “careless driving”.

What it turned out to be was that I’d fired a local contractor he worked for part time and the contractor told him to hassle me.

Went to the JP took it to trial and his own video proved my case. I then went straight to the PC with what was going on.

A few days later he was unemployed.

In a lot of jurisdictions though I’d have been screwed and stuck with a large fine or forced to spend thousands appealing it and he’d still be a cop.

While I’'m largely as pro L&O and pro cop in general there are few things I hate worse than a crooked cop.

1 Like

They are call demoRATS !

Mind showing me the part of the constitution that granted the federal government the power to regulate in state commerce as opposed to interstate commerce? After that can you explain to me why a constitutional amendment was needed for the feds to ban alcohol but not to ban marijuana?

Cannabis is not a drug, it’s a food source.

Some states that have legalized medical marijuana charge a tax. Washington for example charges a 37% excise for medical and retail sales come with a 8% state tax plus the 37% excise tax. Some states opted not to charge a tax. Some only charge 2%. The dumb ass state I live in Ohio, has yet to determine if it will charge a tax.

So it’s a win/win for a lot of states. They get to collect a nice tax revenue and reduce the number of people that can legally own firearms. Darn those Democrats are sneaky…

Not legally. But then, they haven’t even been pretending to follow the Constitution for several years.

It also makes darn fine cloth, rope and gas (interestingly gas from hemp is actually, literally green in color … we’ll never see it because of all the people demanding hemp oil from the snake oil vendors making the value of the stuff fantastically higher than it should be).

1 Like

Hey wait a minute, aren’t democrats the same party who screech non-stop about companies making a profit on the backs of sick people by making a profit on pharmaceuticals? I guess that objection goes away when you are taxing poor cancer patients 37% on their medicine.

1 Like

Very true, it’s a considerably threatening commodity to a lot of established industries. Besides cannabis, the only other trillion dollar commodity I know of is regular oil.

Oh, please. It would be no thread to petroleum folks.

But those nitwits demanding subsidies for corn to make gas from, when the energy in barely justifies the energy out?

I don’t think it can replace oil by far, but it can contend in several oil-based markets, and textiles, and timber, and construction material, and medicine, etc…

It’s a paradigm shift at this point to re-legalize its every day use in an open market, because it doesn’t take a whole lot of cost to produce it (anyone can).

Never bought that argument that is some kind of wonder crop, it’s legal in quite a few countries and I see no evidence it is especially profitable.

No worries, I’ll be over here capitalizing on the new industry. :smiley:

…and hemp can be made into the best rope.