Market Traders Chewin' The Fat

Thank you.

I trade on the one minute and use the A/D to try and help. I’m not good enough yet :slight_smile:

Your welcome!

The one minute? I am not sure how one trades that and not pull their hair out of their head. If I may suggest to you trying to trade and learn longer time periods to trade with. Maybe start out with the 1 hour then graduate to the 4 hour strategy. For me personally when I trade the daily, or the weekly, I can put in a trade and not worry about it, and then check it when I need to. Not only is it more profitable, but I can look at a trade position from a longer perspective and see the trends more clearly as to the direction and the supply and demand zones. Its less stressful trading this way! It also makes my decisions so much easier as to when I exit a trade position. Just a suggestion of course, but if you are just learning I say try different trade set-ups until you find the one you are most comfortable with and stick with it!

1 Like

That is a good point Sarge, and that makes sense in many respects. I was just listening to a report about how Gold is purposely being pushed down in price in order to create more volume in the future, (buyers) so my instincts seems to be correct in this analysis by waiting for the right time. Same thing with Silver, although the latter moves very slow, but could see a spike once Gold bottoms out to the price range you are eluding to. I am watching it carefully!

If it goes to 800 I wonder if we shall lose Boudica…

The thing which pushes Gold down is mainly nobody buying. If there is an effort to depress the price it must be down to global players trying to squeeze China or something.

Ok, I am done for the week

No complaints about today, although it has been quiet all week … must be Easter or something

Back in the saddle on Tuesday :beers:

3 Likes

[quote=“StuFX, post:475, topic:155, full:true”]

The same can be said for lots of business ventures. Incidentally I trade currencies and some indices/metals.

This is true.

But it does not invalidate what I just asserted. (In this regard, the tu quoque fallacy leaps to mind.)

In any case, it is well to compare what one might gain with what one might lose.

If I were to trade successfully, my gain would be minimal. (Currently, I have my Social Security check direct-deposited into savings–I do not live upon it–and I typically move an additional $500-$1,000 into savings each month.)

If I were to trade unsuccessfully, I would likely lose the financial security that I currently have.

And financial security is what finances are all about, in my opinion.

The traders here are well aware of risk control. We are all long in the tooth at this game, we know the scams, the pitfalls etc The thread isn’t about pushing trading on anyone but it’s fine if you want to issue some warnings, it never hurts anyone. But it’s like walking into a joinery workshop if you know very little about it and telling everyone how dangerous a band saw is.

Trading successfully beats most investment vehicles that I’m aware of, in percentage gains terms. The risks are only what you permit, you have full control. If you don’t have control of yourself, then you don’t have control of your risk.

Yes and trading is just a tool that can add to that financial security. I will concede it’s not for everyone in much the same way as painting priceless art or brain surgery.

1 Like

Hey Ex – looks like that confidence growing rapidly! A new scalper is born! :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Couple Trades yesterday. Didn’t make my weekly profit goal - but close enough.

As a large daily EU move closing at the extreme often leads Tokyo to run’er in the opposite direction, took this trade. Got out cause it was slow and was forming a strong ascending wedge.

And here’s what happens when you don’t pay attention to these formations.

Let me put it this way:

If I were to trade successfully, I cannot imagine how it might enhance my day-to-day life–or even my future. Even at the margins.

If I were to be unsuccessful, on the other hand, it would likely destroy the financial security that means a great deal to me.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

Well…

I suggest you just read the thread out of idle interest, and otherwise carry on with your current regime.

I agree that in consideration of the destruction of your financial security nothing should be undertaken to jeopardise your future.

Furthermore, it takes a long time to develop the necessary skills for financial trading/investment/speculation … call it whatever you want. I have over 20 years of skin in the stocks game, and I am quite good at it although I also remember that I am not infallible. I have over 10 years of skin in the FX game and after a chequered history I am just becoming consistently profitable.

This is not for the feint hearted.

3 Likes

Hey Jim, 4 pips is 4 pips … and at least you would have got out even :+1:

1 Like

Excellent! The story of most profitable, professional traders. Why there are so few of us!

Because of time constraints, I have had to make some adjustments. I am making fewer trades – just concentrating more making sure thy work. I have reduced risk – I now use only 69% of account and I have now established 9 pips as a hard stop. Had a lot of trouble with tight hard stops. Interestingly, it has made me even more successful with entries. First question I now ask – how safe is that 9 pips? As to the 4 pips, I’ll take it all day long. Now takes 3.4 pips to give me a bit over 1% profit. Have take profit at 9.9 pips and if I think she a runner will move that to 19.9 pips. Never go over that any more as market has gotten choppier last couple years.

2 Likes

Yeah … whoever thought that retirement could be so demanding on your time :wink:

Of course but I maintain that your situation as an individual is not what this thread is about. The thread is about traders sharing information and helping those who are interested. It’s not about how or why it does not fit your personal profile.

I just don’t see the point in what you have said, I understand trading is not for you and that is fine but the engagement is pointless, it’s like waving a bus down in the street to tell the driver you don’t need to use his bus.

Good luck and hope your retirement plan has you covered but I don’t think this thread is for you.

3 Likes

If I may butt in… :slight_smile:

I go back some time with this lot and we migrated here together. I used to trade a lot with some success but it was time and attention consuming. Then maybe a year or so ago, I just got bored and did other stuff instead for fun. I still look at the charts and every now and then if I come across something that jumps out and slaps me in the face, I jump on board. But I am not really motivated. I place trades then forget about them now, and I mean really forget, not force myself to stay away. I can sit at my PC and it doesn’t cross my mind to open the platform. I placed 5 trades a few weeks ago using H4 and went on holiday for 2.5 weeks. I have been back a week and it was only yesterday I thought about them and found out they had all come in, although their journey to the TP was anything but smooth. You don’t want to be watching that!

So my conclusion is, the more you care, the worst you’ll do in this game!

2 Likes

Fair enough, I suppose.

Has anyone got a working calendar indicator for mt4? I used to have one, but lost it and I doubt it would work with the newer builds now anyway. I have searched high and low in the Tomb, downloaded them and tried them with no luck. Obviously, I am not in a position to make a request there. :roll_eyes:

Sorry can’t help you Jen. Ex could make a request for you :wink:

1 Like